Camera for photos and video?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I posted this in the Talk Video forum, but would also appreciate any other advice...

I'm looking for some advice on using a DSLR/SLT camera for video.I shoot stills with a Sony A77ii, but know nothing about video. My son is at Uni studying Creative Digital Media and has expressed an interest in getting himself his own camera rather than borrowing from the uni. It seems that they use a mix of Canon/Nikon and Sony.
Realistically, what are the options for <£1000 (including lens - zoom?) - I assume that it would need the option of 4K as well as standard HD?

He will be using the camera for photographs as well as video.

I realise that there are many variables/options and that my queries are pretty vague, but any help is appreciated.

As I shoot Sony, I did look at the A68, but it doesn't shoot in 4K. The A7 range are too expensive.

4K won't be needed, it'll just result in huge file sizes that aren't really used. Most DSLRs are good for video, but look for body / lens combos that'll AF as some will require manual focusing.

Despite being a Canon user for many years, I opted for a Panasonic G80 and 25mm prime. It has 4k video, not that I use it! I also went this route because I wanted to give old manual legacy lenses a go. As your son is studying, I wonder to what extent old lenses (manual focussing etc, especially for video) may or may not be relevant? The G80 also has in-body stabilistaion. Hope some of this might help.

Back