Beginner Camera for recording

Name
Agena
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to buy a camera under £400 for video and recording.

So i need a camera that has good AF and doesn't struggle to focus on a moving object.

Which camera do you recommend for recording purposes Under £400.

Thanks

How far away is the subject, how big is it, and how fast is it moving?

Most modern DSLRs will certainly be capable, but a camera with a suitable lens may stretch the budget and is likely to be secondhand rather than new.

You might be best looking at a gopro style they really are good now but I prefer the Dji Osmo Action, usually under £250

How far away is the subject, how big is it, and how fast is it moving?

Most modern DSLRs will certainly be capable, but a camera with a suitable lens may stretch the budget and is likely to be secondhand rather than new.
One thing i want to do that would be a different from standard recording
Is recording cars, fast moving objects.

1) I'm a bit of a newbie. So there's autofocus and manual focus. Is manual focus the same on all cameras?

2) Which camera would be good for focusing on a fast paced object. Under £400m
Does it depend on the lens? Or camera.

3) I'm thinking of getting "Nikon D3500 DSLR Camera with AF-P DX 18-55mm VR Lens"
(It's on argos)
But what I see if the lens in the image doesn't have a manual switch? Do I need one, or is it good to have it for the purpose of recording mainly. (Fast objects, and normal recording)

Last edited:
Cars aren't a particular problem. If the cars are close to you then a short focal length zoom such as 18-55 will be fine. If they are some distance away, eg your shooting from spectator areas at Silverstone, then you'll most likely need a 300mm or 400mm lens to get the car as the primary object in the viewfinder.

Manual focus is generally the same on all lenses, twist the focus ring one way or the other until you achieve focus, and if its moving you'll have to adjust as it passes. Autofocus does it for you. Most of the time it does a good enough job.

The capabilities of a particular combination is partly the body, partly the lens, and partly the skill and imagination of the operator.

All cameras and all lenses can manually focus, on the nikon d3xxx series bodies, the option is in the menu, then you just turn the focus ring on the lens.

Back