Camera for YouTube videos

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I started a YT channel and i’m looking for a professional camera 4k to record videos while the camera will stay in a tripod so not moving.I’m looking for something under £1000 and something to make occasionally some pictures in nature as well.Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

No-one is really using 4k for video; and it is way overkill for youtube (youtube videos are mostly viewed on cellphones/tablets). 1080p HD is still the standard/predominant, and more than adequate for most uses; plus it is just a whole lot easier/cheaper to work with...

I would suggest Sony ZV-1 it does great video more or less out of camera if you don't want to do much tweaking.
The only niggle is not much zoom and the 24mm end is more like 30mm with stabilising turned on - it can sometimes not quite go wide enough.
Recording 4K is worthwhile even if you upload at 1080p.
I would advise upload 4k or 1440p because the YT algorithm gives cleaner playback at 1080p from I those larger sizes than if you optimised for 1080 and uploaded that.
If you recorded 1080p e.g to get 50fps for slow-mo because can't go above 30fps at 4K, the YT result will be better if you upscale to 1440 or even 4K
Also with 4K you have options to crop in and even do fake subtle camera movement like pan and zoom in post which can add interest but don't over do it.

Last edited:
Isn’t a DSL better to record for YT?I need something to focus my hands and i’m not interested to use the camera for selfie or vloging in gimbal

I would suggest the Canon M100

Firstly you don’t necessarily need a 4K resolution to get the most out of your videos as @sk66 has mentioned. It is very expensive and only high end cinematographers are using it in the film industry.

For YouTube purposes you need an aspect ratio of 16:9 encoded at 1080p: 1920 x 1080

The Canon M100
- It is a 1920 x 1080 Full HD (fits the YT standard)
- It is user friendly as it has less dials and it is a touch screen
- It has a great battery life which allows you to shoot up to 2hours +
- It is compact and light weight for when you want to take those nature photographs you mentioned
- The SD card is on the side which means you don’t have to unscrew it from your tripod to change cards when recording
- It has low light settings ISO (100- 25, 600)
- It has a sharp autofocus
- It has a flip screen which allows you to see yourself while recording
- It is affordable and within your budget constrains

The 1920 x 1080 Full HD
- It means that you get more quality
- Overall sharpness
- Optical image stabilizer in the compatible lenses

The downside of this baby has to be the sound, it’s not clean and you won’t be able to attach a mic as it does not allow you to do so. You will need to buy windjammers to get rid of the white noise.

I hope this helps:).

Last edited:
Something Panasonic, they have very good video capabilities.

Hi ,
I need opinions in order to choose the right camera for my needs.
I need a camera that record the table while i’m gonna do unboxing , product showcase ,testing so the camera willl be overhead fixed and i need good focus for that.
I dont need camera for filming outside(i got gopro 9) for that.
Also i would need a camera that can allow attaching and ext mic.
Obviously i’m gonna use studio lights

I DON’T Have to much knowledge in photo/video so i will need to learn how to set up the camera right.

my options i found so far :

Sony Zv-1
Sony A6400

Buget £1000

Thanks

Last edited:
why not use your gropro for that? you could record sound separately say to your smartphone and sync it up afterward. a couple of other thoughts 1) autofocus probably not important, manual focus would be fine in this setup, and 2) to look good lighting will be important

Cameras that I have used for YouTube videos, Nikon D3400 and the kit lens and the 35mm 1.8G. I turned off the autofocus to prevent hunting and motor noise, and just manually focused. Canon G7X and the Fuji XF10. Oh, and various mobile phones, all produce a good quality video for YouTube.

A few questions.

1, What video resolution do you want to record in. 4K or 1080p? Is your computer up to the task of editing 4K?

2, Is every video going to be the same setup? If not you need to consider lenses.

3, do you have lights. A ring light might work well for over head product videos.

4, Audio, what are you doing about audio? People will tolerate lower video quality but bad audio can kill the best looking video.

So that £1000 is great start budget but you need to include lights and audio.

I'm will add that I agree with @4wd if you can, record if 4K. YouTube's compression is shocking and what you think is great 1080p can be made to look like crap.

So things you need.

Camera/lens (with mic input preferably)
Lighting ( don't just use window light or ceiling/room light, you need consistency and controllability)
Audio (if you get a camera with mic input consider the Rode wireless go for audio or a simple wired lavalier mic, if not you can record audio to your phone and sync in post or use a Zoom H1)

Last edited:
why not use your gropro for that? you could record sound separately say to your smartphone and sync it up afterward. a couple of other thoughts 1) autofocus probably not important, manual focus would be fine in this setup, and 2) to look good lighting will be important
Can gopro do professional videos ?
I have purchased some LED lights (cheap ones)

Attachments

• 0EF655B0-516E-4299-9F08-314EAEE5456A.jpeg
    0EF655B0-516E-4299-9F08-314EAEE5456A.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 8
  • C6B2B0B3-4F29-432B-A0DF-FD8DB28756B4.jpeg
    C6B2B0B3-4F29-432B-A0DF-FD8DB28756B4.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 8
A few questions.

1, What video resolution do you want to record in. 4K or 1080p? Is your computer up to the task of editing 4K?

2, Is every video going to be the same setup? If not you need to consider lenses.

3, do you have lights. A ring light might work well for over head product videos.

4, Audio, what are you doing about audio? People will tolerate lower video quality but bad audio can kill the best looking video.

So that £1000 is great start budget but you need to include lights and audio.
1. 4k 30fps . I hope my laptop will handle it.

2. Yes , most of my videos will be filmed overhead at the table.

3. I just purchased a set of 3 LED lights 5500k (see pictures above)

4. I intend to purchase an ext mic Blue Yeti.(it may do some ASMR as well with it)

I'm will add that I agree with @4wd if you can, record if 4K. YouTube's compression is shocking and what you think is great 1080p can be made to look like crap.

So things you need.

Camera/lens (with mic input preferably)
Lighting ( don't just use window light or ceiling/room light, you need consistency and controllability)
Audio (if you get a camera with mic input consider the Rode wireless go for audio or a simple wired lavalier mic, if not you can record audio to your phone and sync in post or use a Zoom H1)
I just ordered :

Sony Alpha a6400 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm Lens (Black)

i hope i will getting better videos with it.

The Sony will do you well and that's a good setup.

The Yeti may not be well suited for the audio if you intend to talk while doing an unboxing. You have to get pretty close so you'll have to work around it as it needs to be right in front of you for best audio.

It's great for voice overs, podcasting and video chats and even ASMR.
I have it myself.

As you're thinking of the Yeti you'll be looking at recording audio the the PC. A cheap lav mic will, in my opinion, serve you better. Giving you more freedom to move around. Even moving a few inches from a yeti and the audio level drops off fast.

Another thing to be aware with the yeti, and that's vibration. Any knocks on the table will transfer up through the Yeti stand.

Back