Beginner Camera imports

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

What is the difference from UK cameras such as the Canon 6D and a Hong Kong import?

The actual camera, nothing except maybe the plug on there charger and the manual also...the difference is your ability to make warranty claims as only canon HK will honour the warranty...

There's the obvious tax issue to, you need to make sure that all tax and duty is declared correctly as your the one liable to pay if its due....

To be blunt there's a tendency for HK offers to be cheaper through under-declaring the values of packed items and hoping they mostly get through customs without being challenged. If you just want cheaper - fine. If you have ethical values - maybe not so fine. It's a bit like offshore tax dodges, or MP's claiming expenses for duck houses ...

Panamoz.

they offer a 2 year warranty on all goods.

I got a lens from Hong Kong and it was faulty from new.It had been assembled incorrectly so had to be returned back to Hong Kong.I got a second lens a few years later and it was not optically sound very poor quality for a £400 lens that went back as well. I think there are issues with items that are not meeting the quality control standards and are then sold off at a discount making it look as though it is discounted because it is from overseas.When in actual fact it is a failed quality control item.The first lens was a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 the other was a Tokina both were sub standard to the lenses I bought in the UK to replace them.

I would still buy from Hong Kong as I have always been able to return the item. I have not used Panamoz before but would try them.

I got a lens from Hong Kong and it was faulty from new.It had been assembled incorrectly so had to be returned back to Hong Kong.I got a second lens a few years later and it was not optically sound very poor quality for a £400 lens that went back as well. I think there are issues with items that are not meeting the quality control standards and are then sold off at a discount making it look as though it is discounted because it is from overseas.When in actual fact it is a failed quality control item.The first lens was a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 the other was a Tokina both were sub standard to the lenses I bought in the UK to replace them.

I would still buy from Hong Kong as I have always been able to return the item. I have not used Panamoz before but would try them.

I seriously doubt Nikon are releasing stuff that fails QC for sale, as ultimately, it harms their reputation.

I seriously doubt Nikon are releasing stuff that fails QC for sale, as ultimately, it harms their reputation.
I had the lens in my hands brand new 70-200mm f2.8VR only been on sale 3 months.When the zoom ring was turned the focus went from infinity to minimum focus.If Nikon did not release that lens like that then it was taken apart and assembled incorrectly by someone.The lens had only been on sale max 3mnths it had just been released to replace the MK1 Zoom.Sold by a company based in Hong Kong with a unit next to Heathrow Airport.

Ever thought it was just faulty?

This will be fun...

Why do you see the need to troll threads like this with comments that seem only there to stir and little to do with the question asked?

In what way was your comment constructive to answering the question or adding anything to the topic?

I seriously doubt Nikon are releasing stuff that fails QC for sale ...
It seems likely to me that quality control is based on sampling rather than exhaustive testing of every item on the production line, and this is how 'duds' get through to market.

I seem to remember that one of the recent Canon cameras that has WiFi in the UK does not have WiFi in other territories due to local legislation.

Some of these "Wi Fi less" models found there way to the UK, the buyers were not pleased.

So probably an isolated example but it does happen.

David

You make it sound as if buying from overseas is inherently dodgy. They sold off faulty goods for a discount. No authorised Nikon dealer would do that, and Nikon themselves wouldn't do that, so you got a lens from somewhere dodgy is all. That can happen with anything from anywhere if you buy from somewhere dodgy, no matter where they are based.

Also... there's a possibility that they unknowingly sold a faulty lens, just like any UK dealer could do.. unknowingly.

I don't think being offshore means there's any more risk if you do your research into a company first.

I don't think being offshore means there's any more risk if you do your research into a company first.

except that they aren't subject to DSR (if outside the EU) and even credit card protection may be dubious if they use a third party processor (this is true inside the uk , but at least you can sue and or go to trading standards for DSR breaches).

also if you have to return an item you can get his for big shipping costs (vis that thread by the guy who bought a lens from Poland)

Which is why I said do your research. Besides, there are many UK based companies who import grey market gear. Many of them have excellent reputations. A little asking around the forums will enable you to buy grey market gear with no risk. A few, like Panamoz will offer their own 2 year warranty. Many on here have had cause to test that warranty out too, and reported that they honour it, quickly, and fairly.

The other lens I bought the Tokina was very soft and I could not get a sharp photo with it at any setting.I sent that one back and got a full refund.
I don't know if I would get a camera from overseas as a fault might develop weeks later making it difficult to return. With a lens you can see if it works OK pretty quick.

Seriously, Panamoz... Recently got a D800E for £1600. If it's faulty, you return it to them, in the UK.

hdew are good, they do a 3yr warranty, quick delivery as well.

they also supply from a uk base so theres no issues with customs and theres an actual uk office you can take issue with if needs be ( be aware that not every other importer who claims to be using a uk office is being entirely truthful - often the 'office' turns out to be a mail forwarding box at a virtual office facility)

Panamoz are UK based too. Real staff in a real UK office who are happy for you to call them and speak to them.

I think there's a lot of unfair paranoia regarding grey imports, mainly due to dodgy Ebay traders and the types of outfit you highlight above. Just be careful... ask on here if unsure of a dealer you've never heard of.

Reactions: ST4
Panamoz are UK based too. Real staff in a real UK office who are happy for you to call them and speak to them.

No, they don't.

The last address they used turned out to be a Regus "rent an address" mail forwarding service.

Edit

Yes, they are still lying about the "UK office address".

Panamoz website says:
Our UK Office Address:
Panamoz Electronics
3rd Floor, Queensbury House, 106 Queens Road,
Brighton, BN1 3XF
United Kingdom

http://www.regus.co.uk/locations/meeting-room/brighton-city-centre

Regus Brighton City Centre
Talk to one of our Meeting Room Advisors now

3rd Floor, Queensberry House, 106 Queens Road,
Brighton, BN1 3XF
- See more at: http://www.regus.co.uk/locations/meeting-room/brighton-city-centre#sthash.dY9puV6C.dpuf

Last edited:
Bought grey from Panamoz & extremely pleased I did so :)

No, they don't.

The last address they used turned out to be a Regus "rent an address" mail forwarding service.

Edit

Panamoz website says:
Our UK Office Address:
Panamoz Electronics
3rd Floor, Queensbury House, 106 Queens Road,
Brighton, BN1 3XF
United Kingdom

http://www.regus.co.uk/locations/meeting-room/brighton-city-centre

Regus Brighton City Centre
Talk to one of our Meeting Room Advisors now

3rd Floor, Queensberry House, 106 Queens Road,
Brighton, BN1 3XF
- See more at: http://www.regus.co.uk/locations/meeting-room/brighton-city-centre#sthash.dY9puV6C.dpuf

Fairly certain they were referring to HDEW not Paramoz

Edit: Sorry Dave just seen that is my error not seeing all the thread

Last edited:
The Regus building in Brighton offers serviced office space which is hardly a "mail forwarding service".

Nope, Panamoz purport to have an office in Brighton and indeed use a Brighton phone number.

Your quite right Heather, I've made a mistake here by not noticing I wasn't viewing the whole conversation :(

No, they don't.

Edit

It's not a mail forwarding address. It's staffed. You can call and talk to them. If you also look at that Regus website you're quoting from, they also rent office space. So any business that rents office space rather than investing in bricks and mortar in order to keep their overheads down are dodgy? Stop scaremongering. Lots of people you can talk to in this forum have used Panamoz with no problem. I've never heard anything bad about them, or hdew for that matter.

I ordered on Tuesday night, paid by BACS (Edit: You don't HAVE to pay by BACS.. you just get a further discount if you do), received confirmation immediately, with a UPS tracking number and could track my parcel from HK. It arrived first thing Friday morning. I don't see the problem with them not holding inventory here in the UK. It enables them to keep costs down for you as the buyer. Hdew hold inventory here, and you can actually walk in and buy, but they're not as cheap as panamoz.

It's all down to whether you feel having your camera sitting in a store room for a while here in the UK before you buy it makes it inherently safer, then use Hdew, but Panamoz are on the level.

Last edited:
It's all down to whether you feel having your camera sitting in a store room for a while here in the UK before you buy it makes it inherently safer, then use Hdew, but Panamoz are on the level.
"All"? To you, maybe. Some people might consider that paying import duty and VAT would be a factor in their buying decision.

Indeed... but that's a personal choice best left to the buyer, and not something I'd want to preach to people about (not that you're preaching). It's also has nothing to do with whether they are a trustworthy means of buying a camera, which is what's being discussed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
So you would conveniently factor out any ethical dimension as irrelevant?

It's not a mail forwarding address. It's staffed. You can call and talk to them. If you also look at that Regus website you're quoting from, they also rent office space. .

It is a mail forwarding address, people have actually gone to the Regus address to check for a Panamoz shop or office, there isn't one.

It is a mail forwarding non existent office.

So you would conveniently factor out any ethical dimension as irrelevant?

No.. just an individual choice I'll leave to the buyer. I'm not going to get embroiled in a comparative ethics debate.

It is a mail forwarding address, people have actually gone to the Regus address to check for a Panamoz shop or office, there isn't one.

It is a mail forwarding non existent office.

Who are these people?

There's no shop, no... they hold no inventory. It comes direct from HK to the buyer. All I know is when you call and speak to them, it's a UK number, and you speak to obviously British people. They've been around a while now, I've heard nothing but good things, and my experiences with them have been nothing short of brilliant. If you want to continue to infer they're inherently dodgy for some reason, that's up to you, but I'm more than happy to continue using them. You seem to be on a mission to trash grey imports for some reason.

Last edited:
Who are these people?

Users of other forums, (perhaps broaden your horizons to other forums and you'll notice most don't have the clique of HK promoters that rabidly defend these retailers), a lot of people have issues with smuggling and someone in the Brighton area has gone in to look for the alleged Panamoz shop that doesn't exist and posted of not being able to locate any such shop or office.

Do you have proof to the contrary?

There's no shop, no... they hold no inventory. It comes direct from HK to the buyer.

Yes, quite correct.

All I know is when you call and speak to them, it's a UK number, and you speak to obviously British people.

It's only apparent that their VOIP number is answered somewhere in the world, it's easy to get a number supplied by a VOIP provider with a Brighton code, there are plenty of providers around if you want one.

Have they faxed you a copy of their passport to prove they are British? Or are you just assuming someone with good English might be British?

Yeah.. it's all a great big evil conspiracy. As for smuggling.. does this make me a pirate? Pirates are cool.

Interesting thread, but do you research before buying though. The sigma 10-20 f3.5 is £1 more on panamoz than park cameras. It looks like some gear is cheaper at a glance but I wouldn't assume all of it is, as with any supplier of anything. Not knocking them just saying.

Last edited:
I saved £746 on my D800. I'm not ignoring that. If it was only £100 or less to buy the same camera here from UK stock I would have, but nearly £800 is taking the wee wee.

Back