Beginner Camera imports

The Regus building in Brighton offers serviced office space which is hardly a "mail forwarding service".

from the regus website (discussing the brighton facility)

You may not always need an office, but with our mail-forwarding and handling, we'll answer your phone and handle your mail, Regus Virtual Office services are for you

personally I don't have any problem with people using virtual office facilities - there are circumstances in which I might myself , but using them to pretend to have a uk base when you don't is dishonest

Last edited:
My post was pointing out that the Regus building was not just a "mail forwarding service". There are offices there - whether Panamoz use them or not I don't know, but neither do I know that they don't.

Either way, they get my business when the difference is worth it.

What happens if the HMRC raid one of these places and get a customer list of people who have not paid duty and VAT on goods from overseas? At one time I used to think that what had gone on in the past was finished but it the Jimmy Savile effect cuts in! LOL

What happens if the HMRC raid one of these places and get a customer list of people who have not paid duty and VAT on goods from overseas? At one time I used to think that what had gone on in the past was finished but it the Jimmy Savile effect cuts in! LOL

I doubt hmrc are going to stage a commando raid into china - they'd find jack at the regus address because its just a mail forwarding service.

also in theory import tax has been paid on the imports - its just not necessarily the right amount if the item was misdeclared on entry, and I doubt records are kept of that

the most likely way to get caught (apart from goods being caught on entry and held until the correct tax is paid) is either to be reported by someone , and to be honest hmrc are unlikely to follow up a report of a single incident - though someone who was making a habit of it or running a resale operation could be in the crap - or if you ae self employed or a business for it to be picked up during an audit of your income tax (that is you might have to provide receipts for everything you've claimed against pretax income - and if one of those receipts is from a grey import they might then follow that up further)

However there is a simple answer if thios worries you - either use someone who handles the import and who can provide a vat receipt, or simply declare the true value yourself and pay any difference. - of course that can negate the point of buying grey , but there are times when a grey import is still cheaper even with correct tax paid - particularly around launch of new kit where camera manufacturers often do the dollars to pounds thing , that is US price $999, UK price £999

Don't have experience of the two companies mentioned, but have been a very satisfied customer of both Onestop Digital and Digital Rev. Customer service in both would shame the likes of Jessops or other high street retaillers I have dealt with before.

The only issue I ever had was with a Tamron lens bought from Onestop. The focus was badly off and I was able to send it to the UK agent for tamron and claim back the full costs as agreed with Onestop. Every email was responded to within minutes, not hours.

The issue there was the lens which is renound for focusing problems. I would have no hesitation to buy again from hong Kong. I even bought a 7 yr MACK (sp) warranty for an additional £10 which kicks in after the initial year warranty runs out.

The differences has been pointed out before. Another vote for Hong Kong imported. Most equipment we have over last 2-3 years has been import. Good savings doing it this way. I'm surprised more dont check out and do it.

Interestingly enough, I have been looking at getting the Canon 70D via HDEW. Their price recently has been £665, but when Canon launched their cashback, it went up to £745, but HDEW purchase are not valid for the £100 cashback promotion.

Back