Camera insert for Osprey Stratos 24?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m finally thinking of getting around to get a camera insert specially for the Osprey Stratos 24 bag I use for hiking. The plan will be to carry up to camera and two lenses (probably 17-28 and 28-200). It would be great to get lee filters in too but they can go separately if needed.

Im thinking of the Tenba BYOB 10.

Does anyone use this insert in the Stratos 24? I’d like to know if it fits snuggly into the bottom of the bag before I buy it. I’ve measured and it would seem to be a good fit.

Hi,
I have this very set-up !! Yes the BYOB 10 Insert fits nicely into the bottom of the bag. You need to open up the top well to get the insert in but otherwise it fits great. It might be a wee bit small for Lee filters although they would fit in the pocket at the back of the insert.
I live in the French Alps and spend a lot of time walking in the mountains and this combination is super comfortable and relatively easy to use. Please feel free if you have other questions

Last edited:
Hi,
I have this very set-up !! Yes the BYOB 10 Insert fits nicely into the bottom of the bag. You need to open up the top well to get the insert in but otherwise it fits great. It might be a wee bit small for Lee filters although they would fit in the pocket at the back of the insert.
I live in the French Alps and spend a lot of time walking in the mountains and this combination is super comfortable and relatively easy to use. Please feel free if you have other questions
Thanks for confirming. I’m thinking of putting it into the bottom and any loose kit I carry above it will go into a dry bag so it’s easier to take that out and access the camera insert.

I have found there is a different insert that’s nearly called the same (Tenba BYOB 10 DSLR). It looks a different size (thinner in width but taller and deeper) and has a semi open zipped flap instead of top opening. I’m not sure that would fit as the bag curves inwards at the back so is thinner at the mid point.

I also use the tenba byob “backpack” insert, works really well with my osprey stratos, though I use the slightly larger stratos. I did have the 10 and it fitted well, the only pro of the backpack version is that it has an ‘all round’ zip, which allows greater overall access, if any of that makes sense!

I also use the tenba byob “backpack” insert, works really well with my osprey stratos, though I use the slightly larger stratos. I did have the 10 and it fitted well, the only pro of the backpack version is that it has an ‘all round’ zip, which allows greater overall access, if any of that makes sense!
In hindsight I should have gone for the 34 litre version. I purposely went with the 24 litre version because of the zip opening and because it was supposed to be my hiking/walking bag. Using it for photography was a second thought. the zip opens quite wide (probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the bag) so plenty of access.

Rob - can you side mount a tripod on the bag?
It has side pouches that I put a Gitzo traveller tripod in then use the the side top strap to hold it in place.

This blog post shows a tripod attached to the side of the bag.

This is the original review that made me think of it as a photography bag as well as a hiking bag.

Last edited:
In hindsight I should have gone for the 34 litre version. I purposely went with the 24 litre version because of the zip opening and because it was supposed to be my hiking/walking bag. Using it for photography was a second thought. the zip opens quite wide (probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the bag) so plenty of access.
Am I correct in thinking that the 34 version only has a side zip and not the wider opening of the 24 ?

I don't think the 24 is quite big enough for me to hold the camera insert plus food and an additional layer but I do like the access the 24 gives

Am I correct in thinking that the 34 version only has a side zip and not the wider opening of the 24 ?

I don't think the 24 is quite big enough for me to hold the camera insert plus food and an additional layer but I do like the access the 24 gives

Not sure if the 34 has a side zip or not as I’ve never seen one in the flesh. I know the 36 does have one. This review seems to show a wide opening main compartment on the 34.

Thanks Rob - wasn't planning on getting a hiking bag but was in a walking shop earlier and spotted a nice bag from Lowe Alpine on sale. It had the side straps, top and front opening so decided to treat myself :)

Last edited:
Not sure if the 34 has a side zip or not as I’ve never seen one in the flesh. I know the 36 does have one. This review seems to show a wide opening main compartment on the 34.

Thanks for that it seems the 36 is a top loader but the 34 will front load.

Thread update: I went with the Tenba BYOB10. It’s a fantastic fit filling the bottom of the Osprey stratos 24 perfectly up to where the front access flap zips open to.View attachment 317681

Love seeing our products being used exactly the way we designed them to be. Hope you get many years of good use out of it. I use my BYOB 10 in an Osprey Talon 33 all the time.

Peter Waisnor
Tenba

image0.jpeg

very tight in the Stratos 36 - this has three large lenses in it - if the BYOB was bulging it would not go in

easier fit in the Stratos 50

image1.jpeg

but it would fit nicely in either bag on end

just so you know the BYOB 13 had an EF 100-400 ii, RF 28-70 and and RF 70-200 in there

image0.jpeg

loving the BYOB insterts

have the 10 for the regular lenses

Dave

Does anyone know if the BYOB 13 will fit the Osprey Stratos 34 please
This guy uses a BYOB 13 in a stratos 24.

I’d say it will probably need to fit in length ways as it’s unlikely to fit sideways like the BYOB10 fits in the bottom of the stratos 24. I’d guess the stratos 24 and 34 and quite similar in width as both are stated to be 30cm wide.

Last edited:
I have a Stratos 34 arriving tomorrow and will check it out and report back

Dave

I have a Stratos 34 arriving tomorrow and will check it out and report back

Dave
Thanks for sharing much appreciated. This what bag should I get is almost as bad for head spinning as what camera should I get
Just off now down the rabbit hole to do some research on the Osprey Kestrel range

I just love the Stratos bags

I have all sorts of dedicated camera bags (Shimoda, Think Tank, Mindshift, Lowepro et al) and they are just fine

but if I'm walking for anything more than an hour I really love the way the Stratos bags move the weight off my shoulders and on to my hips and the fact that they are the only bags I have tried that don't leave me with an itchy back

It might be just my body shape but they are very good for me

Dave

Osprey 34 arrived and is entirely as Rob suggests

looks like the extra capacity is all above the base of the bag

image0.jpeg

that's a BYOB 10 in there - the 13 would go in sideways with room to spare

Dave

Osprey 34 arrived and is entirely as Rob suggests

looks like the extra capacity is all above the base of the bag

View attachment 317940

that's a BYOB 10 in there - the 13 would go in sideways with room to spare

Dave
Thanks for sharing. What I hadn't realised was there is a DSLR version of the BYOB 10. I'm presuming I'll need this to fit a a Canon 7Dii, 10-22, 70-200 f4 and Tamron 17-50 as it's a little taller. Ideally with one of the lenses mounted.

Sorry for pestering but you obviously have hands on experience and have been generous enough to share these with the community

The BYOB 13 would swallow them

R5 with 35mm
RF 24-105
EF 100-400ii

image0.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. What I hadn't realised was there is a DSLR version of the BYOB 10. I'm presuming I'll need this to fit a a Canon 7Dii, 10-22, 70-200 f4 and Tamron 17-50 as it's a little taller. Ideally with one of the lenses mounted.

Sorry for pestering but you obviously have hands on experience and have been generous enough to share these with the community
Have a careful look at the dimensions between the BYOB10 and BYOB10 DSLR insets as they are quite different and it alters the shape.

External dimensions

BYOB10 DSLR - 22W x 29H x 11D

BYOB10 - 27W x 20H x 11D

The DSLR version won’t fill the entire width of the bottom of the 24/34 stratos bag. I was considering the DSLR version but didn’t really need the extra 9cm height. I was worried there wouldn’t be enough distance between the top of the insert and the maximum opening of the bag flap. potentially I could put the other bits I carry down the side of the insert so the thinner width wouldn’t be as much of an issue. If you do get it I’d love to see howit fits in compared to the BYOB10.

Apologies and just to be clear - I don't have a byob 10 DSLR (yet)

:)
Dave

The BYOB 13 would swallow them

R5 with 35mm
RF 24-105
EF 100-400ii

View attachment 317964
It certainly does. Thanks to your information I'm still keener on one of the BYOB 10 versions. It seems like the 13 will fit but only if you turn it lengthways. I quite like the idea of being able to flip the top of the BYOB and getting easier access to my gear

Have a careful look at the dimensions between the BYOB10 and BYOB10 DSLR insets as they are quite different and it alters the shape.

External dimensions

BYOB10 DSLR - 22W x 29H x 11D

BYOB10 - 27W x 20H x 11D

The DSLR version won’t fill the entire width of the bottom of the 24/34 stratos bag. I was considering the DSLR version but didn’t really need the extra 9cm height. I was worried there wouldn’t be enough distance between the top of the insert and the maximum opening of the bag flap. potentially I could put the other bits I carry down the side of the insert so the thinner width wouldn’t be as much of an issue. If you do get it I’d love to see howit fits in compared to the BYOB10.
Thanks for that and pointing out it is much taller. I came across the DSLR version in this this video
View: https://youtu.be/ULbsgdRfXZg

It was the only one that showed a BYOB 10 with a lens mounted. I've probably missed it somewhere on the internet but although it states the standard BYOB 10 will take a DSLR Version I'm assuming it's body only without a lens mounted ??

Does anyone know which Tenba insert to go for to fit a nikon Z6 with mounted 24-200, by any chance?

Does anyone know which Tenba insert to go for to fit a nikon Z6 with mounted 24-200, by any chance?
The internal dimensions are stated on all the websites. Probably easiest to measure the camera and lens length and compare it against the Tenby internal measurements. I’d probably expect that lens isnt much bigger than the Sony A9 and tamron 28-200 combo I use so it probably fits the BYOB10. the choice of inserts depends on what you will carry in it and whether it will fit the bag you’re going to put it in too. No point having an insert that fits your camera but not your bag.

I've finally taken the plunge and got a Stratos 34. I've gone for the BYOB 10 DSLR version which holds a Canon 7Dii, 70/200 f4, 17/50 and 10/22.
As you can see it does consume more of the pack but still space for extras.
I have to say I wish I'd done this years ago. If you pick up the bag by the handle it feels weighty but once you put it on your back it's as though some of the contents have been removed IMG_20211027_101408813_HDR.jpg

Great thread. Prepping for a charity 3 peaks hike and looking to get an Osprey Stratos - have the 24, 26 and 34 being delivered in a few days so I can compare side by side. Then will be looking at a tenba for the camera gear. Seem to be some differing opinions on what's best to do. A couple of people seem to have done what I was planning (Stratos 24 with BYOB9 or 10, with aim to mitigate my tendency to carry too many lenses), but then regretting they hadn't gone bigger, is that right? Are people happy with their choices or would do anything different after a few months now?

Edit: should have mentioned my kit. I'm thinking of taking A7Riii with tamron* 28-200 and my IR converted A7R with 16-35 f4, with one or both attached to bag strap via PD capture clips, plus possibly one other lens. Despite the PD capture clip plan though, it'll be nice having the security of comfortable place in the bag should I want to take them off the straps.

(I *really* wish my Mac would stop but correcting that to Tampon!)

Last edited:
Great thread. Prepping for a charity 3 peaks hike and looking to get an Osprey Stratos - have the 24, 26 and 34 being delivered in a few days so I can compare side by side. Then will be looking at a tenba for the camera gear. Seem to be some differing opinions on what's best to do. A couple of people seem to have done what I was planning (Stratos 24 with BYOB9 or 10, with aim to mitigate my tendency to carry too many lenses), but then regretting they hadn't gone bigger, is that right? Are people happy with their choices or would do anything different after a few months now?

Edit: should have mentioned my kit. I'm thinking of taking A7Riii with tamron* 28-200 and my IR converted A7R with 16-35 f4, with one or both attached to bag strap via PD capture clips, plus possibly one other lens. Despite the PD capture clip plan though, it'll be nice having the security of comfortable place in the bag should I want to take them off the straps.

(I *really* wish my Mac would stop but correcting that to Tampon!)

I’ve got the osprey stratos 24 with Tenba BYOB10. It fits the canon R6 attached to either RF 24-105 f4 or RF 70-200 f4 attached to the camera and the other in the other side of the insert. Note the canon RF 70-200 f4 is much smaller than most 70-200 f4 lenses. I'm only likely to take two lenses out when hiking for landscapes so it’s perfect inset for me.

Ive found the osprey stratos works well as a camera bag for landscapes. The insert fits perfectly into the bottom of the stratos 24 bag. It doesn’t leave too much room for other stuff in the main compartment as the top pocket encroaches into the main compartment too. I’m pretty happy with it although wonder if I’d be better getting the 34 for the extra 10 litres of capacity. I’m away in November in the lakes again so I will take it as my main camera bag as the plan will be landscapes only.

is it the 3 peaks (snowdon, Scafell pike, Ben nevis) or Yorkshire 3 peaks you’re doing? (They are not ones I’ve heard of) To be honest both are pretty hard. Unless you’re with other photographers are you going to have much time for photography? Adding so much camera gear will mean quite a bit of extra weight to carry. If I was taking a camera I’d only take one body and lens. Even then I’d probably even think a smart phone would be good for memories of the day.

I’ve got the osprey stratos 24 with Tenba BYOB10. It fits the canon R6 attached to either RF 24-105 f4 or RF 70-200 f4 attached to the camera and the other in the other side of the insert. Note the canon RF 70-200 f4 is much smaller than most 70-200 f4 lenses. I'm only likely to take two lenses out when hiking for landscapes so it’s perfect inset for me.

Ive found the osprey stratos works well as a camera bag for landscapes. The insert fits perfectly into the bottom of the stratos 24 bag. It doesn’t leave too much room for other stuff in the main compartment as the top pocket encroaches into the main compartment too. I’m pretty happy with it although wonder if I’d be better getting the 34 for the extra 10 litres of capacity. I’m away in November in the lakes again so I will take it as my main camera bag as the plan will be landscapes only.

is it the 3 peaks (snowdon, Scafell pike, Ben nevis) or Yorkshire 3 peaks you’re doing? (They are not ones I’ve heard of) To be honest both are pretty hard. Unless you’re with other photographers are you going to have much time for photography? Adding so much camera gear will mean quite a bit of extra weight to carry. If I was taking a camera I’d only take one body and lens. Even then I’d probably even think a smart phone would be good for memories of the day.

Thanks for your thoughts Rob. It’s the Yorkshire 3 peaks, so 25 miles and 1600m up and down over the course of the day. I’m doing lots of practice hikes with heavier kit, but you’re probably right that two bodies is over kill. I almost certainly won’t get that much time to stop and shoot as we‘ll be constantly on the move, but equally I want to make the most of the trip too (plus I feel a bit naked without a camera these days). The A7R is pretty light and given it’ll be end of June and daylight throughout I’m more tempted by infrared - though not having a visible light option also feels daft. Might come down to the weather, if it’s nice I’ll go IR, otherwise visible Light.

my bag setup won’t just be isolated to this trip though, want something I can use in the future so your comments makes me think perhaps the 34l will give me more flexibility.

Thanks for your thoughts Rob. It’s the Yorkshire 3 peaks, so 25 miles and 1600m up and down over the course of the day. I’m doing lots of practice hikes with heavier kit, but you’re probably right that two bodies is over kill. I almost certainly won’t get that much time to stop and shoot as we‘ll be constantly on the move, but equally I want to make the most of the trip too (plus I feel a bit naked without a camera these days). The A7R is pretty light and given it’ll be end of June and daylight throughout I’m more tempted by infrared - though not having a visible light option also feels daft. Might come down to the weather, if it’s nice I’ll go IR, otherwise visible Light.

my bag setup won’t just be isolated to this trip though, want something I can use in the future so your comments makes me think perhaps the 34l will give me more flexibility.
My reasoning at the moment is that I don’t just carry camera kit whilst out. I also carry stuff like first aid pouch, survival bag, both bag, map etc if on a hike in the hills of places like the Lake District. It doesn’t leave much room for food, extra water or an extra layer inside the bag.

Back