Camera insurance for travelling

Name
David Bayley
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have any good companys who will insure my gear whilst at home or abroad?

I've just done a quick quote for the value of £2500 and its come back at just over £90 for the year with world wide cover with ripe insurance.

We do it on our house insurance - M&S platinum - so I can take whatever, wherever. I have not heard of the company you named unless it is an auto correct name!

I never thought of the house insurance, I will look in to that one.

Usually auto correct plagues me but it is the correct spelling this time. Ripeinsurance.co.uk. I can't say I've heard of them myself, I'm just after some piece of mind to know that I will be covered when I go abroad in the next few days.

Try Aaduki to get a quote bespoke to your needs?

I insure a higher value of gear for approx £130 and as far as I recall it covers up to 60 days abroad per year.

Last edited:
I actually don't have any insurance at the moment since I am trying to workout best option myself.... I've had eversure in the past and also have gone down the route of putting it on the home insurance.
But I have never had to claim (touchwood) but what we want to hear is from people with good or bad experiences with claiming from whatever company/insurance they use.

My gear is tacked on to my house and contents insurance. All risks, including travel, added about £30 to my policy. Having said that my policy is not cheap but I currently cover my house, contents, and 25K+ of camera gear for about half the price of dedicated camera insurance - bit of a no brainer really.

I'm going to call my house insurance provider today to see what they say. The small print is very vague, it says digital equipment is covered ie mobile phones and laptops to a value of £2000. And they are insured within the UK, and outside of the UK for 60 days.

House insurance for me, claimed a D700 that died in NZ with no problems.

As long as individual items aren't over a certain amount you should be fine, as long as you spec'd your policy right.

I called my house insurance company today and enquired about what I was planning to do. They confirmed that my policy didn't cover any digital equipment that I was planning on taking abroad, but I can pay for an add on that would be cover me. Ok I thought, quote me happy.

So they say, The camera needs to be £2000 or under, and the lenses, batteries, card ect including the camera as a whole package needs to be no greater than £2500.

Ok I say, how much extra is that then?

They say, sir we can offer you the protection for an extra £19 a year.

Is that for world wide cover I said?

Yes it is sir, would you like me to add this to you policy?

:D

I called my house insurance company today and enquired about what I was planning to do. They confirmed that my policy didn't cover any digital equipment that I was planning on taking abroad, but I can pay for an add on that would be cover me. Ok I thought, quote me happy.

So they say, The camera needs to be £2000 or under, and the lenses, batteries, card ect including the camera as a whole package needs to be no greater than £2500.

Ok I say, how much extra is that then?

They say, sir we can offer you the protection for an extra £19 a year.

Is that for world wide cover I said?

Yes it is sir, would you like me to add this to you policy?

:D
Well it does look like a no brainer :)

IMO provided, excess aside (if any), that you have insured based on new for old replacement value covering both theft and/or irreparable damage to any of the parts of the total.

But I surmise they will send you full details of the cover.......just make sure to read it and that "it will do what it says on the tin....."

Back