Camera insurance query

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone got recommendations for a decent camera insurance company. I am going abroad in September and thought it might be advisable as I have a DSLR, a compact and several lenses. In previous years I have relied on my home insurance covering this but now think I ought to set it up properly at least for this year. Suggestions welcome.

Aaduki

I have been with them a while.....though no idea what their claim procedure is!

Note ~ they are brokers and my actual insurer for the past few years has been Hiscox.

I'm with Hiscox.

I've made a claim with them when a gust of wind blew over my tripod, sending my camera and lens crashing to the rock it was stood on.

Hiscox paid for repairs quickly once a quote was obtained and it was a hassle free process

I've been happy with Eversure but haven't had to make a claim thankfully. See this thread

I have looked at insurance and would like to take some out (despite my protestations from another thread a couple of years ago) but they do not make stuff easy.

I can only actually prove what I paid for two of my items, a recent D850 and a less recent Sigma 14-24mm, but on top of that I have a 105mm Micro, a 50mm f1.4 and a 80-400mm for which I have no receipts and can't even remember the year I bought them. In the event of a claim, I couldn't prove anything about the latter items so I'm thinking that an insurance company would quite happily take my money then make me jump through hoops before eventually declining a payout. I know the older lenses aren't worth that much but they would cost a lot to replace.

Perhaps the best option would be to take out cover for the things where I could prove the provenance and just hope for the best with the other stuff.

I looked at Ripe Insurance and while their premiums are reasonable, Trust Pilot has several reviews referring to their claims handling company Davies Group who seem less than friendly in their approach. Like all things insurance, you can't know anything until you actually have to make a claim and one can only go by reviews of others who have made claims.

I think I'll just go to someone like Hiscox and insure only those things where I have provenance and I might stand a chance of getting what I paid for in the event of a misfortune.

Last edited:
I found eversure to be the easiest ( first time insuring my gear) they just needed a total amount .. but it doesn’t cover using abroad

I have looked at insurance and would like to take some out (despite my protestations from another thread a couple of years ago) but they do not make stuff easy.

I can only actually prove what I paid for two of my items, a recent D850 and a less recent Sigma 14-24mm, but on top of that I have a 105mm Micro, a 50mm f1.4 and a 80-400mm for which I have no receipts and can't even remember the year I bought them. In the event of a claim, I couldn't prove anything about the latter items so I'm thinking that an insurance company would quite happily take my money then make me jump through hoops before eventually declining a payout. I know the older lenses aren't worth that much but they would cost a lot to replace.

Perhaps the best option would be to take out cover for the things where I could prove the provenance and just hope for the best with the other stuff.

I looked at Ripe Insurance and while their premiums are reasonable, Trust Pilot has several reviews referring to their claims handling company Davies Group who seem less than friendly in their approach. Like all things insurance, you can't know anything until you actually have to make a claim and one can only go by reviews of others who have made claims.

I think I'll just go to someone like Hiscox and insure only those things where I have provenance and I might stand a chance of getting what I paid for in the event of a misfortune.

Photos of the kit in a dedicated bag alongside details of serial numbers might be enough to satisfy an insurer - phone them and explain the situation.

I found eversure to be the easiest ( first time insuring my gear) they just needed a total amount .. but it doesn’t cover using abroad

I decided to go with Eversure and took out a policy to cover my new camera and my latest new lens since I have proof of purchase for those. All the other stuff is quite old and when away on my motorbike I don't tend to take the really bulky lenses so I've insured only those things that fit in the bike, which has kept the premium down. My premium is just under £90 for four grands worth of cover, put that up to £6k and the premium hits nearly £140. Increasing the excess isn't worth the risk either. Eversure do insure against loss or damage outside the UK, in my case for up to 30 days a year, which is good enough for me.

Photos of the kit in a dedicated bag alongside details of serial numbers might be enough to satisfy an insurer - phone them and explain the situation.
I have some gear which I don't have receipts for (and some stuff from eBay which I can't recall what year I bought it or stuff given as a gift etc). I explained to my insurer and they asked me to photograph said equipment with that days dated newspaper visible in the frame snd a close up of any serial numbers.

Back