Camera insurance - who to go with?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've seen a couple of threads recently saying why the OP has left a particular insurance company.

I'm at the point where I am looking to get my kit insured separately from the house insurance.

Could anyone recommend which insurance company to got for?

My requirements are:
Cover both at home and when out and about.
Cover for holidays abroad (EU mostly).
Accidental cover. Not dropped/knocked my camera yet but law of averages says I will at some point, probably while shooting my lads Scouts group.
Cover when left in the boot of a car (out of site)

I'm not a pro so not sure if I would need liability cover.

I'd really like a company that has a decent reputation for not trying to wriggle of any claims should the need arise.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Paul.

I get everything on your list with my house insurance, worldwide accidental damage cover etc, no need to inform the insurer of what the kit is or how much it's worth either, or even that I own a camera.

My insurer is Hiscox. I asked them about my camera and lenses when I took out the policy and they confirmed it was covered as long as it was hobby only and I never accept payment for anything photographic. They also don't want lists of valuable items or any of the other nonsense you have to put up with when using the bargain basement insurers that compete on price.

Thanks for the quick reply. My wife has just sorted the house insurance out and it seems to have way too many conditions before any claim would be met if the kit is out of the house!

I think I'll phone them and check, but in the meantime I'd still like any recommendations.

I use Photoguard but as I haven't had the misfortune to loose or break anything yet I don't know what they are like when it comes time to claim. They do say in the policy that all the risks you are looking at are covered.

Again another one for house insurance. You've got 14 days cooling off period with regards to cancelling insurance, how recently has she done it?

I use Photoguard but as I haven't had the misfortune to loose or break anything yet I don't know what they are like when it comes time to claim. They do say in the policy that all the risks you are looking at are covered.

Cheers, I'll look into them.

Again another one for house insurance. You've got 14 days cooling off period with regards to cancelling insurance, how recently has she done it?

1st of this month, whoops. I have phoned them and they currently aren't covering personal items like cameras out of the house :crying: we can add it on for about £60 but the get out clauses for not paying out on a claim seem to be weighted against the consumer, basically have to prove violent entry to any premises or car so if anyone who has justified access (cleaner/staff) take a fancy your stuffed!

Thanks for the quick reply. My wife has just sorted the house insurance out and it seems to have way too many conditions before any claim would be met if the kit is out of the house!

I think I'll phone them and check, but in the meantime I'd still like any recommendations.

House insurance wouldn't cover my kit. They also had too many clauses, like price of a single item, total car cover was too low, nothing over £1000 insured etc.

I went with Photoguard but haven't had to claim.

Try Glover & Howe

Used them now for 3 years and claimed once - resolved easily and quickly

Back