Camera & lens for indoor action (karate)

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone. I am new in this forumm and I am not completely new to photography, as I've done it few years ago. However I am willingly to re-start again :)

Now I have DMO (Diabetic Macular Oedema) which means I am very sensitive to sunlight, and therefore no point in taking up phptpgraphy for "outdoor" use - like Nature, Wildlife photograohy etc.

I will be focusing on "indoor" use and want to do Karate, Indoor horse riding photography... and perhaps for the Interior Architecture as well...... maybe food photography.

In this topic, I wish to focus on Karate phptography, both in moving action and still photography (eg portrait for partipants players)

I wish to buy a SONY camera in my mind - they are lighter and I feel good after feeling them.

Can you advice me which lens should I go for? Up to 3 lens for a SONY camera - especially for Karate / horse riding - of course indoors. 1 of them will be so called "50 mm" but which one?

Thank you in advance

Hi Graham, welcome to TP

What's the budget and do you need lightweight kit or are you comfy with a camera and lens weighing say 1.5kg?

Obvious things are that you will be working in lower light levels, and so lenses with larger apertures and cameras with bigger sensors can be advantageous.

I use an R3 for basketball - II used to have a 1dx2 - this is lighter for me and more responsive.

If you have the budget, a 24-70/2.8 and a 70-200/2.8 would be the standard lenses needed for indoor sport.

Then I'd match those with a Sony A7 MkIII or MkIV.

If you have a larger budget then look at the Sony A9's and A1's.

Last edited:
Hi Graham, welcome to TP

What's the budget and do you need lightweight kit or are you comfy with a camera and lens weighing say 1.5kg?

Obvious things are that you will be working in lower light levels, and so lenses with larger apertures and cameras with bigger sensors can be advantageous.
Up to £2,000 for lens...... I might add another £1k if necessary.

Up to £2,000 for lens...... I might add another £1k if necessary. Can you advice me which lens should I go for? Up to 3 lens for a SONY camera - especially for Karate / horse riding - of course indoors.

Tamron have a lightish and good value 28-70 f2.8 and 70-180 f2.8 whichhave a great reputation. Otherwise try used Sony GM zooms

1 of them will be so called "50 mm" but which one?

Bigger budget - the Sony 50 GM f1.4. If money is tight then the Sony/Zeiss 55 f1.8 is very good value used, and very sharp with good AF. Avoid the FE 50 f1.8 because the AF is extraordinarily poor, even by 1980s standards.

Welcome to TP

Look into the tampon 35-150mm f2-2.8, great event lens.
Samyang 135mm f1.8 might be good for low light and will provide some reach as long as you are not shooting from too far away. There is a Sony 135mm f1.8 GM too but a fair bit more expensive. If you are using a high res body both are incredibly sharp and can be easily cropped in post for a bit more reach.
Sony 55mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 GM or 50mm f1.2 GM depending on your budget and size needs

The tamron 70-180mm f2.8 G2 seems to be incredibly sharp and a great budget option to the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM/2. The GM2 is better than the original GM and 50% lighter, also best in class but comes at a massive price tag. with the Sony lenses you can use 1.4x TC but you can't with the tamron

At the wide end I'd get a used Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 DN and leave it there or may be the tamron 35-150mm is wide enough?

for karate i would be edging towards the 24-70 range.. if you go for the 50 you will be forced to shoot from certain positions you may not be allowed or able to get to

70-200 f2.8 is what came to mind first, assuming you are talking full-frame Sony. I'd probably pair with something like a 24-70f2.8 and a faster prime, 50mm or maybe something longer.

A 70-200mmF2.8 would fit the bill. Either a Sony original or a third party like the Tamron or the new Sigma.
Slightly harder to find used but a Canon ef mount one might work well on an adaptor

Back