Critique Camera Movement Experiments

Have I put this in the wrong place. Have I not adhered to some protocol. I thought I might get some passing interest or critique.

I'm not sure how to critique them. What were you trying to achieve?

I've seen this type of thing before and want to give it a try myself at some point.

For me No3 achives the effect best. I think it works best on tall or long subjects.

Yes, no.3, the first two somehow don't seem to entirely cut it. Maybe not enough movement and just looks like accidental lens blur

I've seen this type of thing before and want to give it a try myself at some point.

For me No3 achives the effect best. I think it works best on tall or long subjects.
The inspiration came from a photographer called Eva Polak. She calls it Impressionism and her technique is outlined at www.evapolak.com under the menu heading 'Tips and Techniques' Camera Movement.
I have to agree with the comments about the first two pictures. No.3 was more of what I was trying to achieve. I have found well spaced straight trees (such as coniferous) to be good subjects. I think the effect could be achieved with many other subjects however.
I welcome the observations made in all the replies and thanks for those. Hope this shows what I was trying for.

I think I can see the effect you were trying for but not sure it is quite there in these images.

They might not be quite what you are aiming at, but other photographers to check out are Chris Friel, Doug Chinnery and Andy Gray among others. Doug Chinnery has three YouTube tutorials on the page I have linked to.

Have I put this in the wrong place. Have I not adhered to some protocol. I thought I might get some passing interest or critique.
The last of the three seems better with the lighting. Keep trying different movements and lighting. Take it to the limits. Good luck.
I had a go rotating about the centre of the frame. So that the centre does not move too much and is recognisable but the outside was blurred.

I have a couple of images I could post to show the sort of thing I have been doing in a similar style. Let me know if you would like me to post them - I didn't want to just add them to the thread if you would rather not.

I have a couple of images I could post to show the sort of thing I have been doing in a similar style. Let me know if you would like me to post them - I didn't want to just add them to the thread if you would rather not.
Thanks I would appreciate that. Thanks also for the suggested sites they all look interesting.

Last edited:
These were taken as part of an experiment. I walk into town along the seafront several times a week, and many times the sea gets overlooked as I am talking to my wife, thinking of other things, etc. These are meant to represent the way I see the sea through peripheral vision, rather than when focusing on it. There are a very large number of images thrown away for everyone that gets kept - and they are still only beginning to show what I am trying to achieve. They are taken with a Lee Big Stopper, and the shutter speed is usually in the 2.5 to 5 second bracket, using live view.

*Sea1

View attachment 31946

*Sea2

View attachment 31947

Here was something i did last year. Managed to get just what i was after.

Swirl - 11-52-2014
by treboraj20, on Flickr

I came to the conclusion there needs to be obvious movement otherwise it just looks like blurry photo. I like number 3 of yours most.

Last edited:
Yes that last one was how I did it. But I got a person in the middle where it is sharpest. And another with an approaching train in the sharp spot.

wanders in

Looks around for some interesting examples of pictures playing with perspective control by manipulating their Large Format Camera's Tilt and Swing controls.

Fails to find any interesting illustrations of the Scheimpflug principle

wanders back out to film and conventional

wanders in

Looks around for some interesting examples of pictures playing with perspective control by manipulating their Large Format Camera's Tilt and Swing controls.

Fails to find any interesting illustrations of the Scheimpflug principle

wanders back out to film and conventional

Sorry to disappoint.

Back