Beginner Camera Not Working. Please can someone help?

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello...

I am using a Nikon d50 camera and I am having problems with the memory card. The camera is flashing 'CHR' in the display area and it's saying 'this card cannot be used' on the LCD screen. I was using a Tevion Photo 2GB memory card and having checked this card on a computer (computer couldn't read it) I decided that was the problem. I have now replaced with a Sandisk (recommended by Nikon) 16GB SDHC card but I am still getting the same 'CHR' message.

Apart from this the camera is working fine and shoots well in 'DEMO' mode.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong?

Thanks in advance.

According to the Nikon website the largest compatable memory card for the d50 is 1 GB. I wonder if the new 16gb is too big for the camera to recognise.

Thanks for your comments guys.

@ Orangecroc - I can't get the camera to recognise the card so I can't format it :(
To be honest I recently read somewhere that formatting the card in camera was good practice so I starting doing it. That's when my memory card started to play up...

@MartinCornwall - I looked on the Nikon website this morning and it recommended Sandisk 64GB unless I read it wrong - which wouldn't be the first time - thanks, will try a smaller one although I'm worried there's something wrong with the card slot itself.

Thanks for your comments guys.

@ Orangecroc - I can't get the camera to recognise the card so I can't format it :(
To be honest I recently read somewhere that formatting the card in camera was good practice so I starting doing it. That's when my memory card started to play up...

@MartinCornwall - I looked on the Nikon website this morning and it recommended Sandisk 64GB unless I read it wrong - which wouldn't be the first time - thanks, will try a smaller one although I'm worried there's something wrong with the card slot itself.
You may have misread 64MB as GB.
Here's the compatibility list, it does seem to max out at 1GB
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000003808&configured=1&lang=en_US

SDHC Cards are not supported by the D50 - which is basically anything larger than 2GB.

Buy plain old SD up to 2GB while you still can for the D50 and you should be good.

Hi I also have a d50 , it cannot use a sdhc card. You may go d some 2gb cards are also sdhc so make sure you get a normal as card.

Think you will find the problem is the memory card contacts are dirty and/or damaged! It is quite a common problem. I had same with a 50D. I found if you removed card then reinserted it would start working but fail again next time you used camera. There were some claimed fixes to clean contacts but can't remember what they were. Try a Google!

No.
Already answered in posts #3 & 5. ;)
Can only comment on my actual experience with that camera and the CHR fault. Would be good if OP would come back to confirm if new card solved the problem ?

Back