Camera Options sub £500

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I want to get hold of a dslr for video use and want to spend under £500. My main question is whether to go for a better secondhand camera or lower spec new camera. At the moment I'm looking at a secondhand Canon 5D Mk1 or a Panasonic GH2 and brand new options could be a Canon 550d - 650d. It will be used to make short films so I would obviously like the best quality possible for my money. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Newmski

5d mk1s don't have any video function at all. That was only added on the mk2. I have a GH2 and a 5d mk3.

Though the colours aren't as nice, the GH2 offers a much more satisfying picture to my eyes. The detail and resolution is higher and the hacks offer lots of further possibilities.

For many it's the best DSLR for video and it absolutely thrashes anything in the same price range.

As an actual object it's not very impressive compared to the Canon and the stills capability doesn't hold up, but if I want to make a film I'm going to keep I always reach for the GH2.

5d mk1s don't have any video function at all. That was only added on the mk2. I have a GH2 and a 5d mk3.

Though the colours aren't as nice, the GH2 offers a much more satisfying picture to my eyes. The detail and resolution is higher and the hacks offer lots of further possibilities.

For many it's the best DSLR for video and it absolutely thrashes anything in the same price range.

As an actual object it's not very impressive compared to the Canon and the stills capability doesn't hold up, but if I want to make a film I'm going to keep I always reach for the GH2.

5d2 and gh2 are totally different cameras though, 5d2 has crazy shallow depth of field, and the gh2 is crazy sharp with deep depth of field

both cameras give a totally different look, so it depends on how you want your footage to look

5d2 has been used for some stunning stunning work so don't think that because the gh2 is sharper it is automatically better
I mean look at this http://vimeo.com/9856236
stunning work and shot on a 5d2

550d is a good camera, use a zoom h1 for a mic because you don't get levels or headphone monitoring with the 550d

It's all down to personal taste I guess. The 5d so far hasn't done it for me but I'll keep trying. There's also the matter of price as well though. Even a well used 5d2 is twice as much as a GH2.

Thanks very much guys, very helpful. Good job I didn't go and bid on a MK1 that would've been a disaster (that'll teach me to do my research!).
That footage on the 5d2 is amazing but I don't think I can stretch to one of those. I think as its my first step into the dslr world I'll keep the cost down and go for either the T2i or the T3i. Thanks again

regards
Dave

Thanks very much guys, very helpful. Good job I didn't go and bid on a MK1 that would've been a disaster (that'll teach me to do my research!).
That footage on the 5d2 is amazing but I don't think I can stretch to one of those. I think as its my first step into the dslr world I'll keep the cost down and go for either the T2i or the T3i. Thanks again

regards
Dave

some scenes from that video I posted were shot on the 7d- and the 7d is the same as the t2i/t3i- so it should be more than good enough

Do you have a decent budget for lenses?

I was in the same position a few months back, with the interest in photography too I thought i'd be best to go with Canon. I bought a cheap 600D import for £350 and spent over £1000 on lenses.

My lenses will come in for when I upgrade to full frame in the future perhaps also leaving my 600D as a good B camera.

Back