Camera Picture Styles, what is your preference?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Currently have my camera picture style set to landscape.

Curious what others use?

As in camera picture style gives over creativity to the camera. That I never did like to do.....when I shot only JPEG, to reduce such incamera 'processing' to a minimum I set the style to "neutral" or was it "natural". I also custom set the contrast setting to -2

Having said I have been shooting raw for ages as I want have an unsullied image to process as I wish :)

Last edited:
I quite like using the Fuji film simulations when i'm shooting, I tend to shoot JPEG on one card and Raw on the other. The JPEG has obviously been processed, but it's ready for transfer to my phone where I can make some minor adjustments if needed and it's ready to share. I keep the unprocessed raw for more serious editing later on if I really like the image and there's potential there, now with shooting RAW it loses the in-camera processing, but thats ok because I want to be in control when editing the raw.

Do picture styles affect the output of RAW files when processing them?

Do picture styles affect the output of RAW files when processing them?

As I recall yes, if you use Canon software DPP.......but I think it matters not which one you pick in camera as all are available in DPP to pick & choose from.......like any preset.

The above is only AFAIK as I have never used DPP!

It's the same with Nikon. The picture style sets the default for raw processing, but only with their own software. You can change it at the time of processing. Third party raw processors (not made by the camera companies) generally ignore styles when converting, though you might see the effects initially in the embedded preview image created in-camera (which many raw formats contain).

As default Lightroom uses an Adobe profile on raw files but it can be set to apply the camera profile used at time of capture, a different one, or a preset of your own making. Currently I'm using Nikon's flat profile where available, failing that neutral.

I think Adobe have done their own profiling of the camera models they support; their profiles are 're-creations' of the manufacturers' own profiles and standard presets (styles), which are proprietary. Perhaps this has improved in CC, but for me the Adobe camera profiles never quite matched Nikon's own, which I preferred. In the CS days ACR didn't care, and couldn't read, what you had actually set in-camera (apart from white balance), so Adobe's approximations of the Nikon styles always had to be selected manually - has this changed?

Last edited:
I think Adobe have done their own profiling of the camera models they support; their profiles are 're-creations' of the manufacturers' own profiles and standard presets (styles), which are proprietary. Perhaps this has improved in CC, but for me the Adobe camera profiles never quite matched Nikon's own, which I preferred. In the CS days ACR didn't care, and couldn't read, what you had actually set in-camera (apart from white balance), so Adobe's approximations of the Nikon styles always had to be selected manually - has this changed?

I don't use CC. But I have always been able to automatically apply a camera profile (be that an 'approximation' or not I don'[t know) on import into LR. It can be changed manually after import.

I basiclly shoot RAW and have it set to neutral, but I do have a downloaded collection of around 150 EOS Picture Styles .
Some off which are supposed to mimic old film Fuji Velvia 100F , Agfa RSX II 100, Kodachrome 25, and so on, others are custom weird styles Marvels Cine, FakeIRStyle

I don't use CC. But I have always been able to automatically apply a camera profile (be that an 'approximation' or not I don'[t know) on import into LR. It can be changed manually after import.
I mean, I can tell ACR to use (say) Camera Vivid by default, but what I can't do is tell it to 'match whatever picture control I set in-camera, shot by shot', which is what NX-D does. It ignores my in-camera setting, at least in CS6/ACR9. But I've just read this has changed specifically for Z6/Z7 files in CC:

I use faithful style all the time. Camere is Canon 6d I only shoot raw and use Canon DPP as my Raw editor.

I might choose to use a 'style' setting with a phone picture although none make me want to use them all the time, but couldn't image doing that with a conventional camera.

Style is a choice of which film to load, colour or black and white (are we still allowed to say that, confused), colour profile for colour films and the way different b&w films handle the lighting conditions

I use my bespoke profile produced by calibrating. All you need is X-Rite's colour Checker and the Adobe Labs DNG Profile Editor. This gives me accurate colours but if I want to change the colours for creative reasons I can still do so. Before I produced these profiles for all my cameras, I used Camera Standard which is what Canon recommended.

Dave

Style for PASM modes I usually have set to auto or standard.
Style for 3 custom modes I have preset to portrait because I use it most.
Sometimes I increase or decrease contrast, based on light conditions.

Back