Camera Rucksack - Help!

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all!

I have been trying to decide on a decent Sport/Hiking/Walking all round Rucksack for my Body and a few lenses with out being to large and to be used for Hand Luggage on flights

The main use is to take it to America with me in august where I'm travelling a fair bit (Florida, New York, LA, Hawaii and San Fran!)

I was thinking one of the Lowepro Sport Range, Maybe the Lowepro Sport 200 AW

Do we have any members who own a Lowepro Sport Range Rucksack? And can you recommend them?

I just wanted to check on here if anyone had any other recommendations

Thanks

Last edited:
The Photo sport or flipside sport? :)
I have a Flipside sport 10L AW which is the smallest one, I bought it for when I go snowboarding and can just about cram in a 7D, 70-200 f/2.8, 17-55 f2/2.8 and a 430 EX II but it is a sit on it to do the zips up type affair, especially with the 1L camelbak in the side pocket. I bought it because I wanted the smallest rucksack I could get away with and it fills that remit perfectly, also the interior is removable so you can pull the whole lot out and have an empty shell for other times. You also can't get to it from the back (security on chair lift queues) and have to spin it around on your waist to get to the kit, again perfect for me not putting a camera bag down in the snow.

I'd say if you're hiking you'd want it quite a bit bigger to carry all extra crap about in but remember the bigger it is the more stuff you try and carry and end up with a lot of heavy stuff on your back you probably won't use, enjoy your holiday don't come back with back ache :)

I have the Flipside 400

It's a great bag, solidly built. I agree with Steve though, the bigger the bag, the more you lug around!!

I have the following in mine:

• Gripped D7000
  • 70-200 VR2 2.8 with huge custom hood
  • Nikon 35mm 1.8 prime
  • Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime
  • Sigma 105mm 2.8 push/pull
  • Tamron 17-50 2.8
  • Nikon V1 + 10-30mm
  • FT-1 adapter
  • Loads of batteries, grip trays, Cokin P filters etc etc
  • Jessops 360 flash
After selling all my smaller bags (5!!!), I find myself in the market for smaller bag once again! I'm more selective of what I go out with equipment wise these days (often now, just a gripped body and 50mm and a few accessories). Saying that, it's nice to carry ALL my gear through the airport in my 400 and have a smaller bag in my suitcase for my destination.

Absolutely no complaints for the build and quality of Lowepro from me.

I have a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW

In it I have

1DX
5DMkIII with attached grip
300mm f4
70-200mm f2.8 with hood reversed
100mm f2.8 with hood reversed
17-40mm f4
1.4 converter

It's well made and has tripod straps on the front for a reasonable size tripod.

Also has a laptop compartment.

They also do the Vertex 300 AW which is 8 cms longer. Both bags are in the list of carry on compatible on Lowepros website.

Last edited:
This is probably more the size your looking for http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Flipside-Sport-Backpack-Camera/dp/B00BNFMDZ6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1402818563&sr=8-6&keywords=lowepro sport
Its not as big as it looks in the picture I'm sure you would get away with it as hand luggage

With that bag i loose the space of carrying food etc as it only has the compartment for all the camera gear

I know you have the front pockets and side pockets but they are more for laptops/Ipads etc not Fruit, sandwiches and snacks

Think Tank Airport Accellerator or Airport Essentials (i have a similar bag - the discontinued Airport Antidote) along with a Think Tank Pro speed belt with a water bottle carrier etc (Think Tank Pouches)
Lots of room for camera gear and your lunch/rain jacket etc goes in the place reserved for laptops

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-accelerator.aspx

or

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-essentials.aspx

Thank Tank Pouches (they hang of a speed belt)

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/modular-systems/pouches.aspx

Think Tank Speed belt

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/beltstrapharness/belts/pro-speed-belts.aspx

I have quite a few Think Tank products and they are great (I don't work for Think Tank).

I have a Think Tank ShapeShifter which is great for travel but i don't find it useful when out taking photos as all the gear fits into seperate pockets and you need to attach a lens when you want to use the camera as they can't be carried fitted.

I bought a proper hiking rucksack with a frame, Osprey make some nice ones.

Camera,lenses and gear are stored in an insert which fits nicely inside. My insert is a butchered Lowepro Slingshot 100 bought secondhand on here, but there are plenty of ready made ones available.

Tripod goes in one of the side mesh pockets secured with the compression straps, small one fits inside the bag, also has designated space for a water bladder and ample room for food and clobber

Much better than the specific camera ones, cheaper too and my Flipside 400 gets left at home these days

I have a Thinktank Streetwalker in which I can fit the following:

7D (gripped)
300 f4 L IS
70-200 f2.8L IS
EX1.4
50mm f1.8
RS7 Strap

If I need to, a monopod or tripod gets strapped to the back. If I'm carrying the 6D, then it's the 6D body (obviously) with the 24-105 f4, the 70-200 f2.8 and the 50mm f1.8.

When the "long lens kit" is in the bag, the 300mm and 1.4 EX are all fitted to the body, and it get's in, just....

It's a very comfortable bag, not too big and it has a rain cover too.

You could do what I do! I've got a normal hand luggage bag (Sub Zero..worlds lightest apparently!) I bought some foam tiles from Amazon or evilbay, cut them with Mr. Stanley and stuck them together to make compartments within my Airport Roller! I then take a smaller bag on holiday in my suitcase and just take out what I think I will need for the day. That way, you can buy the bag you want (Lowepro 200) without having to buy a ginormous one.

I did this for Cambodia in March this year.

Another option is to buy a 'proper' hiking rucksack and an F Stop ICU, you could check the rucksack in and take the ICU as hand luggage that way you could have a bigger ruck sack without the flight restriction size bit. BTW I have a ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro which fits in hand luggage and under the seat in front if you're prepared to have your feet either side of it.

Back