Camera saves different to image shown on camera LCD

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi.

I hope you can help me.

I have a Sony A6000 with a 3.5/30 Sony macro lens fitted, which I use for close-up macro and distant shots.

When I take shots, most of the time when the image plays back briefly on-screen, the displayed image is darker than what I see on-screen when I am shooting.

Is this normal or is there something wrong.

It does it whatever mode I'm in, but most of the time I shoot in manual mode with autofocus.

My settings are F Stop is the lowest possible value, ISO is 100, shutter speed is 10.

Kind regards.

I dont have a sony but if I remember rightly the viewing is just for a rough guide, the taken image shows whats captured, I'm guessing the view is with the aperture wide open as opposed to the actual captured image.

The only thing I can think of is that whatever you are seeing is a screen boosted image i.e. it expresses the scene brighter than it actually is.

Does the A6000 show you the histogram during the view before you press the shutter (you may need to look at the camera settings) if so adjust the exposure settings to make sure the histogram is shift to the right hand side, rather than the left side = underexposed.

PS I don't have the Sony, so my thoughts would apply to any mirrorless camera, in general.

Last edited:
Screen brightness is often adjustable. It'll be in the menu if it is.

The only thing I can think of is that whatever you are seeing is a screen boosted image i.e. it expresses the scene brighter than it actually is.

Does the A6000 show you the histogram during the view before you press the shutter (you may need to look at the camera settings) if so adjust the exposure settings to make sure the histogram is shift to the right hand side, rather than the left side = underexposed.

PS I don't have the Sony, so my thoughts would apply to any mirrorless camera, in general.
Quite often called something like Live Boost, artificially brightens the image in lower light.

You need something that gives you live view in manual mode then adjust your exposure accordingly . Then you can see on screen or evf what you should get as the finished photo

Hi.

Thanks to all. I tend to agree with swanseamale47 that it seems likely that the aperture is set by default to open as wide as possible during shooting mode.

I see this effect on my external HDMI monitor, but not in the LCD viewfinder.

Kind regards.

Back