Camera search

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone
I am a quadriplegic I have no use of my hands and I type with a stick in my mouth. I am trying to set myself up with a camera that will be easiest for me to use so far I have seen one on Amazone it is a Nikon Coolpix B500 16mp 40x Optical Zoom I am new here so only after three posts I can post links. Anyway, Nikon Coolpix B500 16mp 40x Optical Zoom does not have a place to plug in a remote shutter switch. I watched a youtube video called ''Wheelchair Photography Tips & Tricks'' He has some nice equipment but that stuff is expensive like the Panasonic GH4 . Any ideas for cameras that might work for me would be great.

Hi John and welcome to TP
You might get some ideas or assistance from this organisation https://www.the-dps.co.uk/
Presumably you would want a touchscreen too, how about a camera you could hook up to a smartphone/tablet
If that is ok some of the Panasonic cameras utilise Bluetooth and use it purely for a low battery drain shutter release
They also offer full control via an app and wi-fi, hopefully something you could operate

My GX9 works like that and they are not prohibitively expensive, also has an evf that tilts upward which may be of assistance

Last edited:
Not up on compacts, but most DSLR's can use a remote for the shutter, it's the zoom might be a problem. I wonder if any proper video cameras might be easier to remote (go-pro???). Failing that maybe a modded CCTV type camera? I've no idea what still quality is I know it's really good off the go-pro, better than I expected to be honest.
Sorry thats not much help John.

As already recommended, I think a touch screen would be the most useful feature. The GX9 and DSLRs ate interchangeable lens cameras which probably wouldn’t be practical. The ‘bridge’ type like the Coolpix you quote is the most versatile type. On the dpreview camera feature search for bridge+remote control+touch screen this is the result:
https://www.dpreview.com/products/s...csTouchScreen=Yes&paramSpecsRemoteControl=Yes

To repeat, I’m not sure remote shutter release is the most important (though only you can judge that) but touch screen let’s you control all the functions as well as releasing the shutter on the best implementations and I *think* Panasonic have been the leading manufacturer for that.

Presumably you‘ve considered a smart phone — they have by far the best connectivity.

what are you looking to take pictures of?

Is it just general stuff, if its fairly close maybe a GoPro ? the new ones have voice commands, so you can turn on/off, start/stop the video, take a picture all by voice.

you can attach it to something /somewhere with a multitude of mounts/stands/sticky pads, and use the rear screen or your mobile to frame/live see the picture and then the voice command to take/activate.
Admittedly your not going to see the same detail as a dedicated DSLR, but they will still be 12mp and 4k video you could take stills from if required.

not sure if this would be ok for your intentions but an idea.

for a random idea, if you can use a smartphone, then what about a Sony camera like this one?
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-qx30
There are a few that are older, second-hand ones that are cheaper now.

The reason I'm thinking of this is that you're trying to remote to a camera via a facility that it's not setup for the physically impaired.
I have a Lumix camera which can link to my phone, it's great. But you need to turn the camera on, activate the wifi, link it up etc.
A camera like the QX30 can be mounted anywhere you like if you have some help, then you can link it to a tablet if you wish, or any phone you like.
All the controls will be on the app and designed as such
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miGTdsG-Ohs

what are you looking to take pictures of?

Is it just general stuff, if its fairly close maybe a GoPro ? the new ones have voice commands, so you can turn on/off, start/stop the video, take a picture all by voice.

you can attach it to something /somewhere with a multitude of mounts/stands/sticky pads, and use the rear screen or your mobile to frame/live see the picture and then the voice command to take/activate.
Admittedly your not going to see the same detail as a dedicated DSLR, but they will still be 12mp and 4k video you could take stills from if required.

not sure if this would be ok for your intentions but an idea.
Also what is your (the OP) final use of the photos — prints, social media etc?

Back