Beginner Camera Security Locks

Edit My Images
Yes
I have an f-stop back pack which I use to lug my photographic gear around with. At work we have a staff room which is not particularly secure, but there is usually, but not always someone there. We have no lockers to put our stuff in, but I would like to take the camera to work to use it when I have no work. I'm looking for a product or products that will allow me to secure the bag to something solid and also to secure the camera and lens to something immovable. So far I've found this by Gary Fong:- http://www.garyfongestore.com/gearguardtm-pro-kit-for-nikon.html

This would seem to reasonably cover locking the camera and lens down, but not stop the bag from being lifted separately. I'd rather go for products that stop the gear being lifted in the first place rather than products to help with recovery after being nicked. Mainly because I'm currently abroad and dealing with local police departments is usually pretty pointless as a foreigner.

I know no product will be foolproof, but I'd like to at least make life difficult for any casual thieves to the point they don't bother and look elsewhere.

So can anyone offer advice or experiences with potential solutions?

have a look here
http://www.pacsafe.com/
they sell bags with built in anti slash (knife cut ) or wire/mesh covers that go over an existing bag googling backpack security mesh brings up sellers and other options

Why take your camera gear to work in the first place? If security is a worry then maybe best left where you are staying, hotels have safes you can use

Why take your camera gear to work in the first place? If security is a worry then maybe best left where you are staying, hotels have safes you can use

He is asking how to secure it because he wants to take it. Saying don't take it doesn't really solve the problem does it.

I have a couple of the packsafe mesh bags, which you put your camera bag into then use the cable to attach to something immovable.
There is a bit of an art to getting them over a big rucksack with lots of straps, buckles, etc, and in afterwards putting them back into their carrying pouches,.
Like any anti-theft device, they won't stop someone who is determined to get your gear (as the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit found!), but often all that is needed it to stop a 'casual' thief, and these appear to be fine for that.

have a look here
http://www.pacsafe.com/
they sell bags with built in anti slash (knife cut ) or wire/mesh covers that go over an existing bag googling backpack security mesh brings up sellers and other options

This. I own one and have used these in a low risk (snatch only) environment. But they are a visible deterrent and will stop a casual/opportunistic thief.

And your added-value to this post was ?

I wonder if there's an alarm which could be fitted too, that would be surely be some deterrent. Just a thought I might be talking out of my backside if nothing like this exists.

OK, the pacsafe stuff looks pretty useful. I'll look into that. It seems there are some suppliers here in NZ too.

The reason I want the camera at work is that I don't work a standard 9-5 job, so most days I may work a couple of hours then have a break for a bit and then get some more work. This means I have time on my hands to take some pictures during the day. I trust my work colleagues, but as the building is not well secured and the general public are often around the entrance door I'd rather be safe than sorry. Not taking the camera with me means I would miss all sorts of opportunities.

If anyone else has experience of products they've used please add to the thread.

I took a pacsafe backpacking to put my bag in on trains etc - it will stop someone walking along and picking your bag up - but it's far from robust: anyone with a pair of pliers could just cut through the wires. It would also make anything expensive just stand out to an opportunist thief. I'd be thinking of just hiding it somewhere random at work e.g. Back of a cleaning cupboard etc. Or disguised in a regular cardboard box containing "stationary" in the stationary cupboard.

I would also be thinking of a Peli case securely attached with a strong D lock or more!

I think I'd view the pacsafe as an item to deter opportunistic thieves only. As with any form of security it would draw some attention to the bag, but hopefully keep everyone but a very determined thief at bay. Something like a peli case would be ideal but as I'm travelling I simply can't carry anything else.

Back