Camera setting help needed

Name
Abby
Edit My Images
No
Hello,
Tomorrow I'm taking some photos at my local toddler group. It's in a town hall with one small window. I've got a white back drop and 2 soft boxes. I've got a Nikon d3500. Can someone please advise what settings to use? Wanted to try in manual mode if possible and now I'm panicking as running out of time! AHH

Thanks in advance

Abby

What a question . Bit like how long is a piece of string. There are so many variables it is really impossible to advise without knowing a lot more. You don't even mention what lens your using or even a tripod. Then there is the question of lighting -size of group -what distance your shooting at? are you being paid for the shoot and do you have any contracts in place as your photographing children.

On your pre visit to the venue you could have tested and checked everything out, even done practice shots in the area you are going to be working in. I think your best bet is to use auto mode and hope that is good enough

Not much help I know but you have left it a bit late, sorry

Last edited:
Get there early and set camera to manual, 1/200 sec @ f8 or f11.

Then get someone to model for you to get the exposure and lighting correct.

You've left it just a tad late I'd guess.

Best of luck anyway.

Get there early and set camera to manual, 1/200 sec @ f8 or f11.

Then get someone to model for you to get the exposure and lighting correct.

You've left it just a tad late I'd guess.

Best of luck anyway.

you forgot ISO setting as well ;) talk about diving into the deep end and not being able to swim. Still good luck with the venture and hope it all works out ok. getting the little darlings to stay still needs a medal for that alone

Last edited:
Hello,
Tomorrow I'm taking some photos at my local toddler group. It's in a town hall with one small window. I've got a white back drop and 2 soft boxes. I've got a Nikon d3500. Can someone please advise what settings to use? Wanted to try in manual mode if possible and now I'm panicking as running out of time! AHH

Thanks in advance

Abby
Is it a paid job @Abby ban ?

It's not paid, it's just some christmassy pics for my toddler group. 2 soft boxes yes. No tripod. I've only just agreed to do it otherwise I would have had more time! Thanks for the help anyway

Hello,

Thanks in advance

Abby

So many unknowns, so little time. A little info may help:

What lens (kit zoom)?
What lights are in the softboxes?
How large is the room?
How many people will be in the shots at once?

I'd pretty much go with Terry's suggestion, but 1/125th, f8 or f11, ISO 200. Softbox either side at about 45 degrees, one a little closer to and a *little* higher than the subjects. Try to keep them a few feet from the background so they don't cause unsightly shadows. Use a lens that lets you get a bit further away - the 55mm end of the kit zoom for example, 70mm or 90mm might be even better if there's enough space - don't go in close & wide.

A tripod would help, because it leaves you free to direct and gives the subjects a focal point.

But I'm no studio photographer.

Back