Camera stops working after a handful of shots

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone have any ideas why my camera would stop working after a taking a handful of shots? Is the camera dying?

I always make sure my battery is charged and I take a spare everytime I go out just in case I run out of battery power. I've only had the problem twice, once on a 18-135mm and now my new 10-18mm lens.

It is possible there's a motherboard failure, how often does it happen is there a particular pattern, maybe it stops after a certain combination of settings.

Firs ttime it happened was when I was taking different exposures and tonight I was taking long expsoures. I turn the camera off a few times and go between Av and M to get it working again.

I just hope the camera isn't dying or I'm done with photography for a long while.

Do you have LE noise reduction turned on?- IIRC this takes a second image of the same LE duration to deduct problem noise from the fist image and might appear like the camera has shut down

Do you have LE noise reduction turned on?- IIRC this takes a second image of the same LE duration to deduct problem noise from the fist image and might appear like the camera has shut down

It's set on 'Auto'......maybe I could try turning it off?

I also have 'High ISO speed noise reduction' turned on?

Just a thought, what MB/s speed has your memory card got? too slow a speed and the buffer fills up with continuous shooting and stops a camera working until the buffer is cleared. I work using nothing slower than 95MB/s cards (sandisk).
A lot of people just look at the GB on a card an go for the cheapest without checking the MB/s as well

Last edited:
some nikon bodys have 2 green buttons which when you press them puts the camera back to factory settings
see if you camera does this and try it

Just a thought, what MB/s speed has your memory card got? too slow a speed and the buffer fills up with continuous shooting and stops a camera working until the buffer is cleared. I work using nothing slower than 95MB/s cards (sandisk).
A lot of people just look at the GB on a card an go for the cheapest without checking the MB/s as well

The card is 45MB/s 32GB

some nikon bodys have 2 green buttons which when you press them puts the camera back to factory settings
see if you camera does this and try it

No there is no 'hard reset' for the 450D. I'll look into it though.

Edit: Cleared all camera settings :)

I'm off out in the morning (weather depending), so will post results after I've been out.

Last edited:
Perhaps a better description of 'stop working' would help.

What's a 'handfull of shots'? How long is the camera inoperative for?

Is the camera clearly dead, ie nothing on the displays, etc? Is it still alive but won't respond? Is the busy light flashing?

Does the OP actually know how the camera works under all circumstances?

LE NR is one possible answer, but is the OP aware of this function? Says it's turned on, but does he know what it does?

Last edited:
Went out today and it still does it

The OP is shooting a long exposure, not multiple exposures. 45MB/s will be fine.

My guess would be the built in noise reduction

I shoot multiple exposures and have just began to shoot long exposures.

Perhaps a better description of 'stop working' would help.

What's a 'handfull of shots'? How long is the camera inoperative for?

Is the camera clearly dead, ie nothing on the displays, etc? Is it still alive but won't respond? Is the busy light flashing?

Does the OP actually know how the camera works under all circumstances?

LE NR is one possible answer, but is the OP aware of this function? Says it's turned on, but does he know what it does?

I took about 10-19 exposures and it stopped shooting. The camera was still alive, there is no 'busy light' flashing or staying on forever. I can move to different settings ie. M, Av, Tv. I took the lens off while the camera was still on, I pressed the shutter button and it took a shot. I put the lens back on the body and pressed it again, but it didn't work this time. I tried taking battery out, waiting a short while, then put it back in. Since I use a wired remote, I remove that. Still no luck. I tried switching the camera off and then back on again, and it worked again.

LE NR???

To be honest, I'm not too sure what the 'long exposure noise reduction' or 'high speed noise reduction' exactly means and what they do. They were both disabled when I went out this morning

Long exposure noise reduction takes a second shot immediately after the first, before the preview comes up on the rear screen, effectively of the inside of the camera (ie without opening the shutter). If you know anything about astrophotography it's the equivelent of a dark frame. The camera deducts one from the other and it's supposed to cancel out noise generated by the camera. If it's enabled on a 450D it should do it with an exposure of 30 sec or longer. Less than that there isn't a way to do it automatically. You'd know if that was the problem if the preview took exactly the length of time to flash up as the original exposure time.
It's not something as simple as the lens hasn't focused properl? That can lock the shutter, or at least it does with the 650D - I presume the 450 is the same.

Went out today and it still does it
... I took the lens off while the camera was still on, I pressed the shutter button and it took a shot. I put the lens back on the body and pressed it again, but it didn't work this time. I tried taking battery out, waiting a short while, then put it back in. Since I use a wired remote, I remove that. Still no luck. I tried switching the camera off and then back on again, and it worked again.
Sounds like a lens communication issue. Try cleaning the contacts with an eraser or suitable cleaning liquid.

LE NR???

To be honest, I'm not too sure what the 'long exposure noise reduction' or 'high speed noise reduction' exactly means and what they do. They were both disabled when I went out this morning

It's in your manual. o_O

You really don't have a clue what statements like this say to the world do you? :thinking:

Back