Camera strap

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Been trawling the web and not quite found what I want.

Looking for a camera strap with the following spec:-
Strong enough for a DSLR plus 300mm prime lens.
Well padded.
Long enough to wear bandolier fashion with camera at my hip.
Preferably without quick release fasteners as I don't trust them.

Ideas appreciated.

If you cant find one without the quick release i have the optech one and it holds my 40D +70-200 easily.

I was unsure of the quickrelease too but they are strong holding.

I was also not struck by the quick release on the OpTech straps, but a few enquiries here on TP re-assured me. I got one, and I've never given it further thought. Only today I found myself crossing a fallen tree to get over a fast flowing burn, with my D300s, plus 17-55 lens, hanging around me neck! My hands were very much occupied with clinging onto what few thin branches there were to keep me steady.

That's trust. :LOL:

If you cant find one without the quick release i have the optech one and it holds my 40D +70-200 easily.

I was unsure of the quickrelease too but they are strong holding.

Quick reply, thanks.
Is that the Optech Pro?

Was looking at that, but could not find it's length.
Also found a forum where half said it was great and half said otherwise.
However, many said the fasteners were secure.
Long enough to wear bandolier fashion (I am average height and build)?

I am signing off now so I'll catch your reply in the morning if you can manage to leave one.

Ta much.

I was also not struck by the quick release on the OpTech straps, but a few enquiries here on TP re-assured me. I got one, and I've never given it further thought. Only today I found myself crossing a fallen tree to get over a fast flowing burn, with my D300s, plus 17-55 lens, hanging around me neck! My hands were very much occupied with clinging onto what few thin branches there were to keep me steady.

That's trust. :LOL:

Thanks, for that.
Looking good for Optech.

Don't rule out the quick release fasteners - there's plenty of ways to ensure they don't come undone in a way that doesn't really show....

A couple of small zip ties around each buckle will mean that they won't part if they did come undone, and can be easily removed if necessary.

Optech Pro comes with or without the quick release. I have the quick release ones and there has been no problems at all.

Lots of places in the UK sell these. WE for one.

Just use normal straps and attach them to the shoulder-straps of your back-pack with small carabiners - total hands-free availability for when you need to dive in and out of helicopters, over walls, avoid gunfire etc etc...lol

Just use normal straps and attach them to the shoulder-straps of your back-pack with small carabiners - total hands-free availability for when you need to dive in and out of helicopters, over walls, avoid gunfire etc etc...lol

Don't always have a back-pack with me, Rob and mercifully short of helos and gunfire (so far).

Thanks for all the info folks. Loads of usefull advice.

The OpTech Pro is a great strap but the standard length is not quite long enough to wear across your chest - if you're ordering from a proper distributor then you should be able to get the extended straps which will give it some extra length.
A lot of Pro's I know use these straps (along with practically everyone on TP) and the clips are plenty strong enough!

Another alternative might be the BlackRapid which is designed to be worn diagonally - it's a little different to most straps in that it attaches to the tripod mount of the camera. They look pretty good but i'm still nervous about trusting the screw thread not to undo - but lots of people use them and have no problem!

The OpTech Pro is a great strap but the standard length is not quite long enough to wear across your chest - if you're ordering from a proper distributor then you should be able to get the extended straps which will give it some extra length.
A lot of Pro's I know use these straps (along with practically everyone on TP) and the clips are plenty strong enough!

Another alternative might be the BlackRapid which is designed to be worn diagonally - it's a little different to most straps in that it attaches to the tripod mount of the camera. They look pretty good but i'm still nervous about trusting the screw thread not to undo - but lots of people use them and have no problem!

Damn - just ordered one from Warehouse Express !!

Another one for the R-Strap, depending which one you get it has zip pockets for memroy cards etc. Very comfy to wear as well. Before anyone else says it though dont say it out loud a"R"se trap!

Looked at the R strap before. Prefer my camera to be suspended by the 2 lugs on top, thanks.

In that case I think Crumpler do a lengthy strap that can be worn acroos the torso.

I'll just need to wait and see the Optech when it arrives. Supposed to be tomorrow.

I use the Op tech strap and like you do not want to trust the quick release fittings, so my solution was to put a loop of climbing accessory rope through the leather fittings above the quick releases so if the worst happens it's still attached, my loop is long enough to undo the qr's and allow about a 6'' drop if I want extra length, the loops on the back of the Op Tech strap also allow me to weave the climbing accessory rope through so it is not always in the way, never ever had a problem HTH

Climbing accessory rope is about 2 3 or 4mm and available from most outdoor type shops(y)

I use the Op tech strap and like you do not want to trust the quick release fittings, so my solution was to put a loop of climbing accessory rope through the leather fittings above the quick releases so if the worst happens it's still attached, my loop is long enough to undo the qr's and allow about a 6'' drop if I want extra length, the loops on the back of the Op Tech strap also allow me to weave the climbing accessory rope through so it is not always in the way, never ever had a problem HTH

Climbing accessory rope is about 2 3 or 4mm and available from most outdoor type shops(y)

Someone suggested securing the quick releases with small cable ties. I like that idea.

Thats cool BUT that way you have to either buy the reuseable type (which are themselves fallible) or cut them every time you want to elongate your strap (and remember to carry spares)

My way is fail safe, cheap and easy to use;)

Someone suggested securing the quick releases with small cable ties. I like that idea.

Why not just buy a laptop case shoulder strap?

Arthur

I'll just need to wait and see the Optech when it arrives. Supposed to be tomorrow.

This is not going well.
Warehouse Express said the Optech would arrive on Tues (they gave me the RM tracking code, but it is the basic service that gives no information until the item is delivered).
It never came on Tues so I emailed WE and they said it would be delivered today. Not arrived today either.

I ordered a few months ago from WE an Optech Tripod strap. Got sent instead a camera strap!!!

Looked at the R strap before. Prefer my camera to be suspended by the 2 lugs on top, thanks.

A mate sent me one of those to me from the USA and it was mighty-fine, though I eventually went back to the regular Nikon straps sent out by a certain very kind member here as my rifle sling kept getting caught up in it!
Other than that it was really good and I had no issues with it being loose or awkward - I did attach it to the 70-200 f/2.8 tripod mount rather than the camera's tripod mount, so maybe it was better-balanced. It sat perfectly on my hip when adjusted to the correct length and eliminated having to use both hands to hold kit down when moving around - I could tuck the end of the lens into a 'drop-bag' (designed for empty rifle magazines to be 'dumped' into during a fire-fight, it has a draw-string top) clipped to my body-armour (or you could hang one on a belt) and it stayed put...

I also have an Optech Pro-strap attached to the D3x that I use for 'clean' jobs around Camp - portraits and group photos...no dramas with those clips and I have tried to get them to bust loose by 'boinging' the camera up and down vigorously (over a big pile of blankets)...
I think if there were any issues about those clips coming undone we'd have heard about it by now, surely?

Back