Camera straps and quick releases

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
Found it was getting inconvenient to change straps to go and try/use different cameras on different days, and was also finding three cameras in a small bag with three straps wasn't quick and convenient to keep them tidy.

Looked for quick releases, and even the inexpensive ones would work out to quite a sum to make things completely convenient.

Found these on Aliexpress
str1.jpg

Very useful, as I have some straps that are wider then the "normal" and they look quite tidy with both
str2.jpg

For 20 pairs, cost just over £21 including VAT and delivery.

Some one gave me a well known sliding strap as a gift, which I didn't really use as the fittings for the cameras were pricey, but these one fit it.

Small thing, but just having one strap in a bag will make things better for me.

Some things i'm ok buying the far east copy of, this isn't one of them.
No way i'm hanging expensive gear on untested cords like these.
PD had issues with their early connectors, but they have now got it sorted.

Peak design do them as well i uses them without any issues , the latest version that is
P1051428.JPG

Last edited:
I tested them with a 25kg load, no issues, and I don't see why they wouldn't be OK with more as I gave some hard tugs to add to the 25kg.
I will be using them mainly for film cameras, the GX7 and GX9 and other small cameras like the G7 or G3s.

The G9s don't come into the picture, and they are the only heavier cameras I have.

I will keep an eye on them though, as I do with all straps anyway.

I agree though, if I ever wanted to use them on a G9 with a heavy lens, I would want to wait a good while to see how they go before trying it, but I don't see the need for them on those at the moment.

My issue with quick release is they tend to release quickly when I dont want them to, then jam when I actually want the... naughty things to release. :(
I also dont trust the ones that screw in a tripod mount after having an Olympus tripod mount pull out, it was fastened to the chassis with three tiny grub screws.
As for cheapy ones from AE... errr no I'm out. They probably are fine but I'm the sort of bloke who'd have two straps if I could without looking a bigger wally than I do now.

I tested them with a 25kg load, no issues, and I don't see why they wouldn't be OK with more as I gave some hard tugs to add to the 25kg.
I will be using them mainly for film cameras, the GX7 and GX9 and other small cameras like the G7 or G3s.

The G9s don't come into the picture, and they are the only heavier cameras I have.

I agree though, if I ever wanted to use them on a G9 with a heavy lens, I would want to wait a good while to see how they go before trying it, but I don't see the need for them on those at the moment.
Really strong cord & webbing is dirt cheap so I think the more suspect parts might be the fixing of cord to plastic or the quality of the plastic mouldings. However, you’re probably right about the lighter cameras.

Its not just the load rating you need to worry about, its the ability of the nylon straps not to wear in the eyelets as they rub

Last edited:
Two examples here of using this type of corded connector in an eyelet without a split ring or similar.
This was a reputable brand too, taught me to be diligent and check even with the PD ones I use now

Mini QD Loop.jpg
Mini QD1.jpg

Its not just the load rating you need to worry about, its the ability of teh nylon straps not to wear in the eyelets as they rub
Yes, but I do check straps quite regularly.
The heaviest camera I have them on is a Spotmatic, probably valued at less than £20

Two examples here of using this type of corded connector in an eyelet without a split ring or similar.
This was a reputable brand too, taught me to be diligent and check even with the PD ones I use now

View attachment 387427
View attachment 387426
Good examples.

I think it is essential to check anyway, I have seen D rings open up a bit, and then they can work round and can disconnect entirely. The plastic inserts on them do help to stop them turning, but many do not have the plastic inserts.

On most straps, there is a wide webbing/strap then the narrow webbing at each end that attaches to the camera, where they join is usually covered by a piece of "leather" which can hide an approaching separation.

Doesn't take a minute to check :)

I opted for PD given that they'd been through a learning curve and had a reputation to maintain/improve. One accidental benefit of using the Anchor Links with an existing strap is that it allows to effectively extend the length of the strap by a few more inches, which suits my height and prefered carrying position.

exactly this!
The plastics and tolerances used in manufacturing need to be good and you get what you pay for!!
I bought a camera belt system from a Chinese manufacturer and it lasted a day.
The receiver was steel but the pin was aluminium, so after a couple of hours of use, my 7Dii and sigma 70-200mm went crashing to the floor.
Camera door damaged and the lens eventually needed a full service/repair as it started to separate between the mounting section and the lens column.
It was NOT a cost-saving move!
Since then I have spider holster system which is well-manufactured and has not failed once in the years since.

Good examples.

I think it is essential to check anyway, I have seen D rings open up a bit, and then they can work round and can disconnect entirely. The plastic inserts on them do help to stop them turning, but many do not have the plastic inserts.

On most straps, there is a wide webbing/strap then the narrow webbing at each end that attaches to the camera, where they join is usually covered by a piece of "leather" which can hide an approaching separation.

Doesn't take a minute to check :)
Even split rings can open. Back in prehistory when I bought (new) Olympus OM1 it was supplied with circular split rings instead of the more usual triangular and they somehow conflicted with the lugs & strap and worked themselves over the lug -- spotted before disaster. :)

exactly this!
The plastics and tolerances used in manufacturing need to be good and you get what you pay for!!
I bought a camera belt system from a Chinese manufacturer and it lasted a day.
The receiver was steel but the pin was aluminium, so after a couple of hours of use, my 7Dii and sigma 70-200mm went crashing to the floor.
Camera door damaged and the lens eventually needed a full service/repair as it started to separate between the mounting section and the lens column.
It was NOT a cost-saving move!
Since then I have spider holster system which is well-manufactured and has not failed once in the years since.
It’s not only camera stuff. I’ve had other things from China where stainless & non-stainless part are mixed.

I use P.D ones as in Steves opening pic , never yet had a problem . only niggle being they tend to twist the cord at times

I use P.D ones as in Steves opening pic , never yet had a problem . only niggle being they tend to twist the cord at times
They aren't PD though, not at 21 quid for 20 sets.
The genuine article are shown in post 3
Whole point of my post being how reliable are these generic copies?

Last edited:
They aren't PD though, not at 21 quid for 20 sets.
The genuine article are shown in post 3
Whole point of my post being how reliable are these generic copies?

Maybe the question asked should, would you put budget part worn re-moulds on your car, if yes buy the Chinese cheap PD copies, if you would opt for branded new tyres buy the genuine PD ones.

Your camera's life is at stake!!

Reactions: Sky
As I've said before, Op/Tech is a good reliable product. I've used their stuff on heavier kit for several years now, without problems.

What I did find was that they're not that useful for lighter cameras and I've gone back to using the manufacturer's straps for those. I still use the Op/Tech system for the G9/100~400mm setup, on my Nikon D600 and on my heavy compass binoculars. After a lot of experimenting, I put my pair of Sony A65s back on their manufacturer's straps...

OpTech Connectors on Sony A65 camera GX7 P1140457.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the question asked should, would you put budget part worn re-moulds on your car, if yes buy the Chinese cheap PD copies, if you would opt for branded new tyres buy the genuine PD ones.

Your camera's life is at stake!!

Did you see what cameras I'm using them on and what I am not :)

It's not a good analogy, or at least not a realistic one, because the choice of tyres and camera straps are not similar in real terms, unless a person is not able to take different factors into account when making decisions.

As I've said before, Op/Tech is a good reliable product. I've used their stuff on heavier kit for several years now, without problems.

What I did find was that they're not that useful for lighter cameras and I've gone back to using the manufacturer's straps for those. I still use the Op/Tech system for the G9/100~400mm setup, on my Nikon D600 and on my heavy compass binoculars. After a lot of experimenting, I put my pair of Sony A65s back on their manufacturer's straps...

View attachment 387430

I also use Optech for years and are reliable and strong
I’ve never liked the look of those systems that attach to the tripod thread
But for what the OP needs the system he has found looks perfect for a collection of film cameras

I recently treated myself to some more PD buttons and a pair of lugs. Looked at cheap ones but decided to stick with PD ones since I have tested one to hold my weight. 115kg is enough strength for my kit!

One of the things I like about the button/lug system is that the button can't slip out once it's properly attached and can't be accidentally released - the Op-Tech and similar clip/buckles can.

The lugs are going to be fitted on an Op-Tech strap - TP branded, of course!!!

...the button can't slip out once it's properly attached and can't be accidentally released - the Op-Tech and similar clip/buckles can.
Have you got any specific examples of that happening with an Op/Tech buckle?

I ask because, in the ten years or so that I've used various Op/Tech straps with equally varied loads, I've never seen this occur. I have seen similar buckles with problems - I once had a heavy laptop bag slip the connection, luckily without damage. My guess is that the Op/Tech buckle is made to a higher standard than some competing makes.

I ask because, in the ten years or so that I've used various Op/Tech straps with equally varied loads, I've never seen this occur. I have seen similar buckles with problems - I once had a heavy laptop bag slip the connection, luckily without damage. My guess is that the Op/Tech buckle is made to a higher standard than some competing makes.
Another happy Op-Tech user here, likewise with never the slightest hint of a connector releasing other than when I chose to do so.
I often use their dual harness, which has the added protection that unlike a regular strap, even if one of the two connectors became disconnected, the camera is still connected to the harness so woudl need both connectors to fail simultaneously to let the camera fall.

I often use their dual harness,
I still have mine but I don't use it so often as when I had the Sony cameras rigged for the Op/Tech system.

In my opinion, Op/Tech hits the sweet spot on price, effectiveness and quality.

Not on video but I have had one let go on me.

Domke. The clip is supposed to be attached to the ring on the wider part of the strap and the short bit of strap attached to the camera but then you have dangly bits when unclipped, so I swapped mine round. Now the strap can be completely unclipped.

As for strength of split rings., the ones supplied with most cameras are pretty rubbishy. They're strong enough but too easy to open up. I've swapped mine for fishing split rings that have a test of something daft like 100lb and really need split ring pliers to open. You'll split your thumbnails otherwise!

_7811006.jpg

_7811007.jpg

I had a PD tripod mount come loose last week. I completely accept it was down to me not checking and scared me enough to make sure I check every time I pick up the camera now. Luckily it went just as I was holding the camera bringing it around. As someone else mentioned above, the cords (probably any brand) can twist and I suspect it caused it to rotate anti clockwise. I'd stick with a known brand and check frequently.

Back