Camera straps

I'm no expert but I would assume the less load the better. That said a mate happily dangles a brace of Canon 7ds with lenses off one of those shoulder holster strap thingies he got off ebay, he hasn't had any issues I know of, and lots of people use them so maybe I'm just over cautious. I have seen a few cameras with the tripod screws ripped out though, mostly when a tripod has taken a dive.

Nah!

You know the proverb Better safer than sorry. It's okay to be over cautious.

I have a JOBY strap (not sure which one) which I used on my 600d for a few years and is now on my 80d.

Walked 13km a day around New York (then with the 600d and a Tamron 24-70mm - I mention the lens because it's quite a lump) for three days and felt no discomfort. Though I will admit it did rub on my neck enough to make it red. I also went cycling in Central Park with the camera on the sling (just tightened up a bit) and it was all fine. A neck strap would have been murder.

I'd never read about the tripod screws pulling out, but did read about some people's problem with the whole thing coming loose and them dropping the camera, so also bought the additional safety tether strap - but I've not had any problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HVT2D4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having said that, I've just bought a really cheap version from Expro for my cheapo camera and while it's comfortable, it's harder to set up and is nowhere near as easy to adjust.

http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-s...d-camera-shoulder-strap-for-dlsr-cameras.html

Where it does benefit however is that it has a pocket on the strap which is big enough for a spare battery and memory card and the screw that goes into the bottom of the camera also allows you to screw the screw onto a tripod. o_O

That's been one of my main bugbears with this type of strap. You have to unscrew it to use the tripod hole (not a problem if your lenses have tripod mounts). The other is that you can't put your camera down flat. So, using a bridge or a wall as a makeshift tripod also means unscrewing the strap.

Last edited:
I have a JOBY strap (not sure which one) which I used on my 600d for a few years and is now on my 80d.

Walked 13km a day around New York (then with the 600d and a Tamron 24-70mm - I mention the lens because it's quite a lump) for three days and felt no discomfort. Though I will admit it did rub on my neck enough to make it red. I also went cycling in Central Park with the camera on the sling (just tightened up a bit) and it was all fine. A neck strap would have been murder.

I'd never read about the tripod screws pulling out, but did read about some people's problem with the whole thing coming loose and them dropping the camera, so also bought the additional safety tether strap - but I've not had any problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HVT2D4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having said that, I've just bought a really cheap version from Expro for my cheapo camera and while it's comfortable, it's harder to set up and is nowhere near as easy to adjust.

http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-s...d-camera-shoulder-strap-for-dlsr-cameras.html

Where it does benefit however is that it has a pocket on the strap which is big enough for a spare battery and memory card and the screw that goes into the bottom of the camera also allows you to screw the screw onto a tripod. o_O

That's been one of my main bugbears with this type of strap. You have to unscrew it to use the tripod hole (not a problem if your lenses have tripod mounts). The other is that you can't put your camera down flat. So, using a bridge or a wall as a makeshift tripod also means unscrewing the strap.

I've just bought a couple of those tethers as well. I am sure that the b-grip system I use will be fine on the tripod mount but better to be safe than sorry.

The one I use has a rubber 'bung' to stop it from unscrewing over time. I like it because I can have the hand strap and also mount it on the cross body strap or my hip, and tripod and monopod without removing or changing anything.

Attachments

• 20190215_150938.jpg
    20190215_150938.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
Back