Beginner Camera suggestions for 9 year old girl

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to spend ~£100 on a camera for 9yo.
She enjoys using my D90 but thinking a compact camera of her own maybe give her more options/independence as not worried about it as much.
Looking at the NIKON COOLPIX S33
Any thoughts on this or do you think she is a the age where a DSLR would be better option.
cheers

Either would be good - depends on what you feel she'd prefer

If she enjoys using your D90 and manages it well, I would be tempted to maybe looking at an older Nikon DSLR, so she could borrow some of your lenses (if they're suitable for her) and as she grows older, if she continues, then joint purchase of more expensive lenses, not needing to duplicate lenses does help...

My 8 year old uses a Panasonic GF1.

If she likes using the D90 I would be be tempted to get her an SLR, you can get a Nikon D80 for peanuts nowadays.

My almost 7 year old daughter had a go with a D40x and looked really competent. One of the more modern equivalents, the D3x00 series would do fine.

thanks for your ideas guys. will have a look around.
I have a £75 currys voucher that i would like to use so that limits me a bit ;)

thanks for your ideas guys. will have a look around.
I have a £75 currys voucher that i would like to use so that limits me a bit ;)

Whats your D90 worth second hand ?

Could this be an opportunity to pass this to her and you upgrade to a new model :D

Personally I'd avoid a DSLR as cameras these days and possibly more so in the future will be (I assume) mirrorless and still/video devices so I'd give her something to give her a grounding and understanding of photography more inherently digital than a DSLR, if you follow...

I have the Lady-Bird book of How to use a Camera - written for 7-11 year olds back in the 1960's, they expected children with a bit of interest in the subject to be able to work a 120 roll film 'folder', or a 35mm range finder, with no exposure meter, let alone 'coupled' automatic exposure metering setting the aperture & shutter speeds for them! They were expected to be able to load film, figure out focus and make their own assessment of lighting to set the aperture & shutter, or use flash if needs be....

I know the modern education system has dumbed down a lot, and got all rather namby pamby about Health & Safety and they wont let kids do stuff for themselves, let alone anything anything mildly hazardous, like making a lemon-cell battery! And children's expectations assume everything will be brand new and the latest fashion, rather than a hand-me down or from the 2d hand shop.... BUT....

Short answer... ASK HER!

Modern auto-focus, auto everything DSLR is so point and press consumer friendly, she ent going to struggle to take photo's with one; if that makes her feel like she has got a 'proper camera', and will use it. And it's a camera she can 'grow into'.... But keeping it in budget, It would have to be 2nd Hand...

If she enjoys using your D90 and manages it well, I would be tempted to maybe looking at an older Nikon DSLR, so she could borrow some of your lenses (if they're suitable for her) and as she grows older, if she continues, then joint purchase of more expensive lenses, not needing to duplicate lenses does help...

good points

D40

Back