Camera Upgrade for Landscape Photography

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

At the moment I have one DSLR, a Canon 80D. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger sensor and so that I can buy better quality lenses than the EFS lenses I have currently. (I understand that you can use EF lenses with crop).

I like the ergonomics of DSLR Cameras and I think that mirrorless is probably too expensive an option for me. So if I were looking to completely change system and go for a full frame Canon DSLR which would be the best choice for Landscape Photography. Would the 5DS R be a good choice, or would the 5D Mark IV be a better choice, for instance?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Purely in general terms if I was almost 100% wanting a body for landscape photography I would go FF whether dSLR or Mirrorless.

The Canon 6Dmk2 I would think is good budget body for that situation (NB I have not checked any prices)

Have you considered the Olympus OMD M1 Mark 2 or Mark 3 with the high resolution mode? Both will give HR images, the Mark 3 doing 80Mp on a tripod and 50Mp hand held. Matched with the PRO lenses gives a lovely light kit.

Have you considered the Olympus OMD M1 Mark 2 or Mark 3 with the high resolution mode? Both will give HR images, the Mark 3 doing 80Mp on a tripod and 50Mp hand held. Matched with the PRO lenses gives a lovely light kit.

Olympus bodies and PRO lenses are excellent but wouldn't have thought HR mode would any good for landscapes - too much movement.
Unless they have improved a helluva lot since my Olympus days ;)

TBH, there's nothing wrong with the 80D and some good glass.
I shoot mainly landscapes and use both FF and APS-c Sony bodies.

Thanks for the replies, the 6D Mark II is worth considering, but a 5DS R or 5D Mark IV would be better?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, the 6D Mark II is worth considering, but a 5DS R or 5D Mark IV would be better?

Probably would be. But then the soon to be released R5 and maybe even R6 will be even better choice

One thing to bare in mind is if you want to make the most of high resolution sensors you will either have to keep shutter speed a fair bit higher than normal or ideally use tripod and mirror lockup

Reactions: dja
Probably would be. But then the soon to be released R5 and maybe even R6 will be even better choice

One thing to bare in mind is if you want to make the most of high resolution sensors you will either have to keep shutter speed a fair bit higher than normal or ideally use tripod and mirror lockup

I can't spend £5,000 or thereabouts ... budget wise I'd be looking at around £2.5k.

I can't spend £5,000 or thereabouts ... budget wise I'd be looking at around £2.5k.

5k that's 1dx class money. You always have a ceiling capped at a7r4 value which you may always consider too

I’ve shot m43, APSC and full frame for landscapes. By and large, it’s irrelevant. The most important thing is to get yourself somewhere interesting, at a time when there is good light, and create a good composition.

Your 80D with an EFS lens will take very good photographs at f/8 or f/11. The 17-55 2.8 Canon lens is very effective for example.

If you are really keen on going full frame, get yourself a relatively cheap used 5D and a 24-105 f/4, and spend the rest of the money on going to cool places to use it (once you’re allowed out of the house!).

Yeah I just want to upgrade to FF though and buy better glass. Simply put the 16-35 EF /f4 is better than the EFS 10-18mm lens, hence the £700 difference in price.

I could buy the Canon 5D Mk IV or the Canon R but the problem is the that the RF Lenses are so expensive.

The EF Lenses are much better priced. I could buy a 100-400 and cover that entire zoom range for about £1500, and as a Landscape Photographer I would never shoot wide open at f/2.8. Then I'd just need an UWA and a mid zoom.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that there's two main points to all this, the enjoyment of it all and producing a picture.

Gas and gear fondling can be a part of the enjoyment of it all but stepping back from that and concentrating on the final picture can help with the gear selection. For example what are we going to take pictures of and how. Do we need fast AF, great tracking, weather sealing, robust build, state of the art DR and/or high ISO performance? And there's final image size and viewing. Maybe we want massive prints or are going to crop heavily and still end up with a large image or maybe we'll mostly just want a whole picture or a light crop to view mostly on screens or reasonably large prints (A4?) viewed normally.

Or maybe none of that really matters and we just want a really nice higher mid range model to fondle and make us feel good :D

Do you have the budget to upgrade both lenses and camera at the same time. As a stop gap upgrading lenses then upgrade the camera would probably be a better way to go as crop lenses on a full frame camera probably won’t be as good as full frame lenses on a crop body. in the future the R cameras may be a worthy upgrade. I’ve always heard there is no disadvantage to use non R lenses on the canon mirrorless so is the high cost of R lenses really a stopper to going mirrorless in the future? If you are selling all your cameras and lenses have you looked at other systems?

I'd buy a 5d and put money into glass. The 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 F4 are all fantastic landscape lenses at the lower price range and cover pretty much everything. You can stop thinking about gear at that point and crack on :D

Do you have the budget to upgrade both lenses and camera at the same time. As a stop gap upgrading lenses then upgrade the camera would probably be a better way to go as crop lenses on a full frame camera probably won’t be as good as full frame lenses on a crop body. in the future the R cameras may be a worthy upgrade. I’ve always heard there is no disadvantage to use non R lenses on the canon mirrorless so is the high cost of R lenses really a stopper to going mirrorless in the future? If you are selling all your cameras and lenses have you looked at other systems?

If I went for an EF Mount Camera such as the 5DMkIV I wouldn't be able to use my crop lenses, I'd probably sell the 80D and EFS Lenses I have.

If I went for an EF Mount Camera such as the 5DMkIV I wouldn't be able to use my crop lenses, I'd probably sell the 80D and EFS Lenses I have.
So you have the budget to both replace the camera and lenses at the same time? If that’s the case have you looked at other manufacturers? Budget is the important part here as no one can really advice a camera if they don’t know your budget and if that needs to include lenses too. There is no point having a full frame camera if you have no lenses to get the best out of it.

The 17-40 isn't junk, its a good budget ultra wide in place of the 16-35. I'm all ears to a better alternative in the price range though?

I wouldn’t be spending £2500 on a 5D, even more so with the R5 not far away. It’s already caused some £1500 5Div’s which is a better price.

Canon 5D3, 16-35 f/4, 70-200 f/4, 24-70 whatever version you wish.

I looked at 5DS R before I switched to mirrorless and remember that it wasn't as sharp as the 5D3 or something along those lines. Worth looking into that.

EDIT: This vaguely touches on it in the sensor section. I now remember that I seen it in a video comparison and whilst the 50MP was excellent for zooming in etc, the image was better and cleaner on the 5D3. Perhaps it was a Forknowsphoto video. They were at the grand canyon.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/canon-eos-5ds-vs-5ds-r-vs-5d-mkiii-2926296

Last edited:
Back