Beginner Camera Upgrade

Edit My Images
No
hi guys.
I've got a nikon D5100 which I mainly used for fishing but over the last 6 months I've wanted to get more into my photography and was wondering if I would notice/be a worth while upgrade to a nikon D7100/D7200?? I would class myself as still in the beginner stage but learning quickly. Thanks

What do you want to take photographs of - other than fishing - and what lens or lenses do you have? How do you feel that the D5100 is holding you back?

Most people like new gear, and that's a good enough reason to buy it, but give us a bit more info if you want advice on this.

I like taking pictures of landscapes and outdoor wildlife but want to start experimenting in the studio. The main reason I'm looking to upgrade is the limitation of using wireless speed lights/studio lights with the D5100 not having a commander mode.

Thank you for your reply

OK. I understand that the D5100's built in flash doesn't operate in commander mode, but there are workarounds using remote flash triggers, and I have a vague idea that one or two of Nikon's flash units do have the capability to fire in response to any other flash source, including the pop up. I'll leave it at that, because I'm not very familiar with the Nikon flash system, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will help.

Your right yeah you can get ones that will trigger from the cameras pop up flash but won't the pop up flash show on the photos? Even if I set it to the lowest power?

Your right yeah you can get ones that will trigger from the cameras pop up flash but won't the pop up flash show on the photos? Even if I set it to the lowest power?
If you're really serious about 'studio' work, forget about your pop up flash, you'll be using triggers.

Whilst the Nikon CLS system is a handy introduction to controlling remote flashes, it's limitations will soon become niggles.

Start from 'what kind of light source am I trying to create', and work back through the flash, controlling and triggering it and you'll see the camera model is insignificant in the process (until you start looking for massively improved IQ).

I wasted a lot of time looking at the features some cameras had that mine didn't, and looking for potential upgrades. It's far too easy to get consumed by all the various options out there. No camera will ever be perfect though, it is in the manufacturer's interests to make sure we are always wanting more. I think though the only time you can truly justify considering an upgrade is when you know your camera inside out, you have pushed it to it's limits, and you can identify an area where any limitations of your current model are holding you back.

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking into either a D7200 or D610 cameras.

Cheers, John

I'm enjoying a d7000,still learning how to use it properly but certainly more user friendly imo

Back