South-East England Camera world ‘show’ at brands hatch.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone going to this tomorrow. Fancied a day out so thought I’d go along. Exact details aren’t great but it sounds like you can get track side to do some shooting. I’m assuming there’s a track day going on. Sounds like it’s happened before but not seen a previous show.

Would be very interested in a report on this as it caught my eye as well, but reading between the lines I did not see it was a "day out" worth of activities/entertainment

D

So mixed feelings about this in the end. The Camera World element for me was a bit of a let down for me personally. Canon, Nikon, and Sony were the only camera brands there but if you wanted to fiddle with a camera from those brands then it was probably there. But you could do that by visiting your local camera shop. Although they have the brand representatives there my impression was they weren't much more knowledgable than your average shop employee.

I had booked on a photowalk with Nikon and asked to borrow a 400/2.8 only to be told when I got there later to be told they didn't have one, which was disappointing as they told me they did when I checked in in the morining and they wrote it down by my name. Then when I got to the photo walk someone had scribbled out 400/2.8 and written 24-200 instead... Erm not quite the same thing :rolleyes: But during the photo walk I did get a short try with the 600/4 which is a nice sense but not what I'd be interested in. Probably saved me wanting the 400/2.8 though as I tried it one they had on a tripod inside and it was sooo fast I think had I got to use it on the photowalk I might have been figuring out how to pay for one :D

I tagged along on a couple of the photo walks and found the 'expert' in most cases ok, but when asked a more technical question I noticed they all struggled.

If you want to save some money on those brands though there were some decent savings. Z9 was £500 off and the 800pf was £400 off, and they had stock there. However I was really after another battery but there were no real discounts on that unless you wanted to buy 2 and even then it wasn't a stunning saving.

So the Camera World bit wasn't amazing as I didn't want to buy a new lens, but I did get to chat with a few other photographers there around track, and got access to Brands hatch with my own kit with the bikes going round all day ( I assume it was a track day ) so was worth going for me just to get out and shoot.

I was tempted to go on this day out, however I was busy with work.
Though I suspect the Brand stands are there to sell / tempt people to try and buy is a good thing, and the photo walks can be reasonably good for experience.
I would the main reason for me would be to be like minded people and expend my network and experience.
There are plenty of camera set / menus and technical questions I would love to ask if I got a canon Rep / tech unguarded at an event ! lol

Back