Beginner Cameras and Glasses

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Ive been looking at getting a dslr for my business and for pleasure (mostly pleasure) and have decided on Nikon or Canon going of the advice have been given. Being a glasses wearer I was wondering if there was a preference between the two manufactures for people who do wear glasses.

Hi all

Ive been looking at getting a dslr for my business and for pleasure (mostly pleasure) and have decided on Nikon or Canon going of the advice have been given. Being a glasses wearer I was wondering if there was a preference between the two manufactures for people who do wear glasses.
Go to a shop and try a few models to see what suits best.

As Brash said its always best to get hands on feel for a camera, I am a glasses wearer all the time, it's just not something I think of really, except when I steam up but there is nothing you can do about that lol :D

I went to Currys but all the batteries were flat. Think I will have a look at the independent photographic shop in Rochdale, its a bit more expensive but I don,t mind paying a service.

I went to Currys but all the batteries were flat. Think I will have a look at the independent photographic shop in Rochdale, its a bit more expensive but I don,t mind paying a service.

Complain... Nicely of course but point out if they want your money they should be checking these things

As Brash said its always best to get hands on feel for a camera, I am a glasses wearer all the time, it's just not something I think of really, except when I steam up but there is nothing you can do about that lol :D
Hands on, feel, steamed up?? You are a tease;)

I'm a little confused as to why wearing glasses has any relevance? I wear glasses but not whilst shooting. I adjust the diopter on the viewfinder eyepiece to compensate for my vision.

Are you severely long or short sighted? If not just look for a camera that has a diopter and see if this will compensate.

I use Nikon SLRs and Fuji CSCs as well as assorted compacts. I sometimes wear a contact lens in my shooting eye and sometimes my specs and sometimes nothing. TBH, as long as the camera has a dioptre adjustment available, it's not a problem. Look for a small dial or slider near the viewfinder, probably marked +&-.

I think the truth is that we are all different and there is no hard and fast answer. I use varifocals and have for many years, and have always been a Canon user, but that is my preference, it doesn't mean Canon are preferential over Nikon for glasses wearers, or for any other reason. I pick up and use the camera without giving my glasses a thought, it becomes second nature. I did once try not wearing them for photography and adjusting the dioptre on the camera, but the hassle of removing my glasses and then putting them back on after the shot just wasn't worth the trouble.
The advise here is good, the important thing is to buy a camera that you are comfortable using, the only way is to try one in a camera shop and see how it feels.

+ 1 for what Trev said.

I wear varifocals all the time and using the viewfinder with glasses on just isn't an issue.

Thanks for the replies. I will try a few cameras out and see which suits.

I have to take my glasses off having adjusted the diopter but then put them back on for looking at the cameras buttons.
I have tried to use the camera with my glasses on after adjusting the diopter for wearing them but I find they get in the way looking through the view finder.
Yes I could use 'live view' but much prefer the view finder as I find it concentrates my process better as I have shut out all peripheral vision.

So make sure you try with & without glasses is basically what I'm saying...

The reality is, there's as much real difference in use between a £300 Nikon and a £3000 Nikon as there is between a Nikon and a Canon.

For me I don't like the feel of the glasses lens up against the view finder, I find it uncomfortable with the lens pressing between my face & camera.
Plus being long sighted looking through the view finder isn't too much of an issue but I have become very proficient in using my cameras buttons/settings without putting my glasses on.
So much so I can alter settings now without removing my eye from the view finder if needed.

Although when looking at the cameras buttons & live screen or info screens I need glasses, when looking through the view finder the info given is perfectly focussed.
Very odd given how close it is, plus the subject I am photographing is also in focus.
Confuses me being short sighted I can see the settings info so close up via the view finder without glasses, must have some magnifying effect whilst not having one on the actual subject.

Go try out a short list. I use glasses and I do have a problem using a dslr

I can only share my experience.
My sight is too poor to not wear my glasses, the diopter adjustment can't replace my glasses.
I have no problem with Nikon DSLR or the Nikon 1 and, while I have no experience of other makes, I's agree with others in the post, try and see.
It can take a while to get used to what you see.

Hi all

Some cameras have an adjustable diopter built into the viewfinder. For me, it means I don't need to wear glasses when I shoot.

I have to wear glasses as I am very short sighted and they are varifocals.
I have never had a problem wearing glasses and using the viewfinder. At the moment I am trying contact lenses and have no problem with them either.

Back