Cameras and other from HK: are they worth it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Following threads on here about cameras from HK, and the saving over the UK prices, I have a question:

Do they come with cash back? If not, then I cannot see where the saving are to be had. I can buy a 40D body only down the road for £599 (so less £100 cash back, that is £499). The best price I have found from HK is this:

from HK shop said:
Canon EOS 40D DSLR Body GBP 499.99 x2
Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip GBP 86.99 x2
DHL or UPS Express (Zone 5) GBP 41.88
Import Handling for UK Import VAT/Duty GBP 212.77
Total Order Cost GBP 1428.61

I can buy that lot down the road (after cash back) for:

Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip GBP 99.99 x2
DHL or UPS Express (Zone 5) GBP 0.00
Import Handling for UK Import VAT/Duty GBP 0.00
Total Order Cost GBP 1199.96

Cheaper and all with UK warranty.

But........... buying from HK must be cheaper because so many do it, so where am I going wrong?

Some people find *ways* of reducing the import tax bills... And generic (non branded accessories are much cheaper from HK.

Good spot and research on prices though! I guess it all depends what you are buying and from where!

Plus, many UK suppliers watch the HK prices and adjust their own accordingly!

Following threads on here about cameras from HK, and the saving over the UK prices, I have a question:

Do they come with cash back? If not, then I cannot see where the saving are to be had. I can buy a 40D body only down the road for £599 (so less £100 cash back, that is £499). The best price I have found from HK is this:

I can buy that lot down the road (after cash back) for:

Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip GBP 99.99 x2
DHL or UPS Express (Zone 5) GBP 0.00
Import Handling for UK Import VAT/Duty GBP 0.00
Total Order Cost GBP 1199.96

Cheaper and all with UK warranty.

But........... buying from HK must be cheaper because so many do it, so where am I going wrong?

I've normally bought things from Kerso (a scot in the USA who imports to the UK). Great prices and a very nice guy BUT he could not match the UK prices on camera bodies!

I bought mine from A Purdy and matched the prices on ebay/imports. Many other items though are cheaper on ebay. I bought a grip for my 20D for £40!!

If you pay VAT and import duty then the prices from HK retailers tend to come out worse than the most competitive UK retailers, as do Kerso's prices. If you don't pay VAT and import duty, then you might find yourself in a position where your warranty is void. And if you're registered for VAT, as I am, then avoiding VAT is pointless since you're going to reclaim it anyway. Which is why I don't buy from HK or from Kerso - they're actually more expensive for me.

Well, hong kong wasn't an option for me, as if caught by customs here, I'd have been on the stiff end of a fat fine + tax and duty, but by buying from Mr Kerso, I've saved myself 400€ on the local price of a 70-200 F4 IS. (hope it gets here soon)

The only thing making it worthwhile buying in the uk is the cashback, go for it if you're buying now. Once the cashback is finished the good deal roundabout swings the other way again.

The only thing making it worthwhile buying in the uk is the cashback, go for it if you're buying now. Once the cashback is finished the good deal roundabout swings the other way again.

Kerso provides a UK invoice so you get the cashback as well as a great price :)

Back