Cameras & planes

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hello TP

OK, I have an embarrassing confession to make, I have never flown with any camera gear whatsoever, in fact I haven't flown for many years. I am completely unfamiliar with procedures and what is safe to take/leave behind, what I can take on board as hand luggage, what I can I expect to put in hold. I'm not even sure if airport x-ray scanners can damage equipment. This year I will be required to travel to Brussels and San Diego and this will be on a regular basis (three times a year). So obviously I want to take the camera but want it with me so I can keep my hands, eyes and ears on it as it's quite costly.

My kit (except tripod) fits entirely into the Lowepro 302AW Slingshot. If I lighten the load then I can get one camera, one lens and filters in the Lowepro 102AW Slingshot. Unfortunately my tripod (Manfrotto 055CXPRO4) will have to go in a roller case with clothes etc. as that wont fit anywhere else even though it can be carried in its own Manfrotto carry bag.

Any tips, tricks or advice will be very helpful. Anything I should be wary/careful of?

Thanks

Hi Scott,

I flew back home to South Africa for a holiday earlier this year. There was no way I was going to leave my camera in my luggage going in the hold (it might only be a 40D but it's my 40D and I love it!). I carried my 40D, my singular lens that I own and my flash in my Tamrac backpack. It went through several scanning machines as I took an indirect flight and all still works perfectly fine. I don't think, well certainly not from my experience, that the scanners have any effect on the equipment (although others might say different). And it allowed me to keep it within my eyesight at all times. I would take as much that fits into my hand luggage as possible. I also had my laptop in there (will have to take that out for x-ray scanners) and my Yngyoung triggers, no bother at all.

xrays won't affect it.

May be swabbed a bit more commonly than normal carryon, but it's fine.

At least you won't have too any issues with bag size on the main or budget airlines. As previous comments, no issues with X-rays machines, just be prepared to open your bag if a search was needed. The only issues nowadays with airlines apart from the limitations in bag size is weight. Definitely check luggage weight restrictions before you book as these differ greatly between airlines and they ain't will to budge. Example my trip to South Africa I went with BA because Virgin and the other airlines limited you to between 6-8kg so check before you book.

... limitations in bag size is weight. Definitely check luggage weight restrictions before you book as these differ greatly between airlines and they ain't will to budge. Example my trip to South Africa I went with BA because Virgin and the other airlines limited you to between 6-8kg so check before you book.

This applies to hand luggage only right? My camera bag should be well within that weight but my case with clothes, tripod and other bits will probably be over that.

As In have said before:

I put my digital camera through the scanner at Ljubljana Airport and it ruined some of my pictures :crying:

They were out of focus, blurry, the wrong colours and on some the horizon had tilted :shrug:

Haha
rolleye0013.gif

This applies to hand luggage only right? My camera bag should be well within that weight but my case with clothes, tripod and other bits will probably be over that.

Yep hand luggage... But you'll be surprised how things weigh up. Your bag weights 1.4 Kgs before you add any camera equipment. A camera, batteries and a couple of lenses will easily take you over 6 kg especially if you have a large lens.

I think it will just be the camera & the 16-35 f/4 and a few filters.

Another issue is the battery charger. I have the UK power lead but I may need a US one and a continental Europe one (possibly). Where can I get these power leads? I don't really want to buy a whole new charger. As they'll be business trips I may not even get the chance to do much but just in case....

Last edited:
When I flew from Edinburgh to Heathrow with BA I took my camera bag on as hand luggage (also had laptop bag as hand luggage) and had no issues, I had my 3 lenses and camera and all my spare bits (Batteries etc). Only thing I removed was the filter cases and filters and they were stowed in my hold luggage but that was my personal choice. Can't actually remember them weighing my bag either but I would imagine they would do. Didn't take a tripod with me though but I would imagine that they may require you to put this in the hold.

I think it will just be the camera & the 16-35 f/4 and a few filters.

Another issue is the battery charger. I have the UK power lead but I may need a US one and a continental Europe one (possibly). Where can I get these power leads? I don't really want to buy a whole new charger. As they'll be business trips I may not even get the chance to do much but just in case....
can you not just get the adapter to plug your normal plug into (Asda Tesco sainsburys etc all do them)?

Last edited:
Ah, yeah. Maybe. I hadn't thought of that. Cheers Darren.

"Note: this is purely a socket adaptor - you must ensure your device is suitable for the local voltage."

Don't know what that means exactly. I think this one might be best..
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/uk-to-usa-au-mains-plug-adaptor-p36005.htm?referer=PLA&utm_source=google+products&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=google+products&gclid=CJfn0tu-57sCFSbHtAodiVQAUQ

Check your charger. Look for where it says Input. If, like most these days, it says 100-240V and 50/60Hz then it is OK with just a socket adaptor in Europe and USA.

Check your charger. Look for where it says Input. If, like most these days, it says 100-240V and 50/60Hz then it is OK with just a socket adaptor in Europe and USA.
Thanks. It's the charger that comes with the D800(E)

Thanks. It's the charger that comes with the D800(E)

I've used the battery charger for a d7000/7100 (uses the same battery as d800) before in Spain with a Europe power adapter before, it worked out fine. I guess the camera manufacturers make their chargers universal so that they can be used anywhere and not have to manufacture different chargers (just give out the right power lead for that country). It's always best to check the voltage of where you are going. I used a thinktank airport bag that worked out very nicely. Definitely weigh your bag before you leave for the airport and ensure it's within their carry on dimensions, there is no point risking it having to go in the hold if they decide it doesn't meet their requirements. I put my tripod in the suitcase in the hold and there was no problem.

The only thing I can think of is ensure any batteries are within cameras/grips. They may be a bit funny about batteries being loose in the bag. I'm not sure if you can use the little covers over the terminals, i think it's to do with the risk of fire/explosions if the battery terminals are shorted.

X Ray scanners aren't a problem. There were some concerns in the film days, but these were mainly about very high speed films and repeated exposure.

Don't put anything valuable or irreplaceable in checked baggage if you can possibly avoid it. There's always a risk of loss/theft, and some destinations are more dodgy than others. All airlines have size/weight restrictions for carry on bags but they vary a lot, and enforcement can be a bit random, so check before you book if this is important. There are work arounds, like putting gear in your pockets or dividing it up amongst people you're travelling with, and I think there's another thread about this.

There are safety restrictions on carrying spare lithium batteries now. AFAIK, you can't put them in checked bags, and the terminals have to be capped or insulated to prevent short circuiting and the risk of fire.

Japan after the war was refitted by Westinghouse 110v 60Hz and Siemens 230v 50Hz so the Japanese electronics manufacturers were quick to jump on the universal power supply bandwagon.

I'd be surprised if any charger needed more than just a plug adaptor.

Shooting video is more interesting however.

Being part of a group of aviation enthusiast we have flown many times with bags full of camera gear and never had any damage or security issues except two.

Firstly I was going through securit at Heathrow on my return flight to Manchester and my bag was picked out by the security officer because I had inadvertently left my airband scanner in the camera bag, they swabbed it and a fine trace of explosive was found (probably due to me taking my bag with me to work and some chemocal or fuel splashed onto it) So I was swiftly wipped off for a body scan.

But no problem really just my fault for having the scanner with the camera gear so lesson learned.

Secondly a young lad member of our group sent his tripod to the hold and then sat and watched as the handling agents dropped it on the floor then promply ran over it. The airline in question denied all resposibility for a long time but eventually gave in to the truth..

(Heathrow staff did take exception to me asking why my scanner went through security in Manchester earlier the same day with no problem, so I decided not to ask security any questions in the future)..

Xray scanners will not damage digital equipment, including memory cards.

I regularly travel with a large camera bag ( I have to physically squeeze it into the hand baggage size check things), and as it usually contains a D800 & grip, 24-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 70-300 it's pretty heavy.

I use an old Gladstone 11a bag

gladstone_11_2.jpg

Never had problems.

I took my Lowepro 302AW on honeymoon to Gran Canaria with me a couple of years ago.

I had my 7D, 15-85mm, Nissin 866i flash and some spare batteries/memory cards in it. I think I also had my iPod and a couple of other charger in there too and it weighed 4.98KG with the limite being 5KG :LOL:

No one at the airports batted an eyelid and all my gear went through the xray machines unscathed :)

Xray scanners will not damage digital equipment, including memory cards.

I regularly travel with a large camera bag ( I have to physically squeeze it into the hand baggage size check things), and as it usually contains a D800 & grip, 24-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 70-300 it's pretty heavy.

I use an old Gladstone 11a bag

gladstone_11_2.jpg

Never had problems.

that's reassuring since my bag will be a tad smaller.

Took my lowepro mini trekker with my Canon 50d with battery grip, Canon 70-200 f2.8is, Sigma DC 18-50 f2.8, Canon speedlite 430EX
Plus a couple of bit & pieces.

I've flown loads with my camera gear usually a 7D, 70-200 f/2.8, 17-55 f/2.8, flash, batteries, charger, wring, rocket blower, head cam etc etc. As others have said your only issue normally is size and weight of your carry on, put your tripod inside the hold luggage (if you really need it) I've got away with the more heavyweight gorillapods over the years. If you have a kindle, ipad etc take it out the bag when you go through security the battery blocks the xray. Also if you do get stopped/asked about the bag go by what the security guy wants you to do, I've seen both ends of the scale where the officer asks you about the bag so you go to help and he instantly gets you to back off and another one who asked and refused to touch the bag so you open it and take the kit out to show to them.

I've seen both ends of the scale where the officer asks you about the bag so you go to help and he instantly gets you to back off

I've had that a couple of times and outright refused to let them open the bag themselves. I don't care who they are, I know there's a £1200 lens that's going to fall out if he opens the bag the wrong way and I'm not going to let that happen!

Malaysia Airlines allow 1 piece of carry on up to 7kg plus a camera bag. Last time I flew I had a D3100 and 4 lenses plus charger and other bits and pieces and no one batted an eyelid.

Very timely question. I'm taking a trip down under soon and have put together a kit in a Peli 1500 case. It's good for carry-on size wise, but at about 9kg is overweight. The published limit is 7kg. Now, I've never had my hand luggage weighed in past trips, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had their hand luggage weighed?

I guess I could just ask the airline..

Very timely question. I'm taking a trip down under soon and have put together a kit in a Peli 1500 case. It's good for carry-on size wise, but at about 9kg is overweight. The published limit is 7kg. Now, I've never had my hand luggage weighed in past trips, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had their hand luggage weighed?

Always work to what they say is their allowance, it doesn't make any sense to do otherwise.

If you choose to risk it at least with a Peli case you know it can be checked in and your gear will *probably* be alright, but be prepared to be hit with a potentially huge excess baggage charge unless you have enough frequent flyer status with that airline/alliance to get you another free bag...

Last edited:
Thanks for that, definately lowest risk to keep it to 7kg... Hmm, decisions, decisions.. :)

Can anyone tell me if the Lowepro Photosport 30L would be accepted for hand luggage?

Now, I've never had my hand luggage weighed in past trips, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had their hand luggage weighed?

I've had mine weighed a few times, to be honest if you're with someone else then share a heavy lens out, the wife is particularly accommodating with this :) or if you have a coat on put it in your pocket. Weighing carry on luggage always seems like another penny pinching way of extracting more from you. People weigh vastly different amounts way beyond any difference in carry on but give it time they'll start charging your fair by weight :exit:

Can anyone tell me if the Lowepro Photosport 30L would be accepted for hand luggage?

It should be as long as it's under the weight limit set by the airline. The sizes for cabin baggage are fairly universal and that particular bag is just within them, different airlines have different weight restrictions though so you just need to check with whoever you're flying with to make sure it isn't too heavy.

I can't remember the model of it offhand but for a few years my main camera bag was a similarly sized Lowepro (Computrekker AW or something like that), I did hundreds of flights carrying it in the cabin and never had a problem, amazingly including smaller aircraft like Bombardier CRJ's and Dash-8's. Even large camera bags normally fit under the seat in front of you so squeezing them in isn't usually a problem, it can be worth getting to the front of the queue when boarding though so you have more chance of getting it in the overhead bin. :)

Who are you flying with and what's your route?

Last edited:

Lowepro publish the dimensions of their bags on their website - http://store.lowepro.com/photo-sport-pro-30l-aw
Airlines publish the dimensions they allow for cabin baggage on their websites.

Airlines do have different cabin baggage size allowances, budget airlines in particular always seem to be changing there's. You have all the information you need to look this up, and you haven't told us which airlines you plan on using.

Last edited:
Back