Camouflage gear

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Getting back into wildlife photography was thinking of buying some camouflage clothing was looking at a jack pyke hunter jacket and trousers but which camouflage pattern to go for English oak or English woodland.
But what do you wear

I just wear dark colours but I dont wash with washing powder just plain water as the bleaching agent shows a high uv which they say animals can see ,dont know if its true but works for me .

or car boot I sold a few of my old army surplus on car boots

or car boot I sold a few of my old army surplus on car boots
Same here old Army surplus gear plus I have a son in the Army, I recognise that regiment, if I member correct they served in NI and the Falklands ,I was stationed with the Kings own and the kings borders ,I had a great crack with the lads from Liverpool, just remembered one of the guys names ,Garry seddon it would be around 52 now as I joined in 1978

Last edited:
Dennis I know Gary Seddon he's on my FB I join up in 79, did training at JSB Taunton, join the Batt in 80 left in 93

Last edited:
Wow ,What a small world ,it was just one name of many I can remember how strange is that ,I have a old Black and white pic of him somewhere I am certain, going to dig it out(in the middle of building work at moment) and try and get it scanned.

I don't think it matters unless you are dealing with exceptionally nervous species. Anything that breaks up the outlines is fine. Good point on Jack Pyke over military camo (I have both) is that the fabric is brushed, making it much quieter when you move. The bad news is that it doesn't wick at all, meaning you get drenched in sweat even on cool days.

Thanks for the reply's been talking to a few people quite a few say they just where green jackets and trousers
Think I'll just have to get out there and try

Speaking to a game keeper last week he was recommending camo gear with some leaf scrim mesh built in [trousers and jacket] as it moves in a breeze and makes very nervous species more relaxed i.e. there's not a big green/brown patch that's not moving like everything else in the wind... that said for most situations I'd just go drab clothing or use a bag hide or some light weight one way pigeon mesh to use as a throw over to break up your silhouette.

I've never found full camo useful. Just dull clothing works fine for me!

+1 for drab clothing...
if you take camo clothing with you on holiday there are certain countries that really don't like it whereas drab no-one takes offence..

+1 for drab clothing...
if you take camo clothing with you on holiday there are certain countries that really don't like it whereas drab no-one takes offence..
And for other countries if you turn up without combat fatigues you get issued them on arrival ;)

I'm not really one for camo, so decided to try the Stealth Gear Extreme 2n trousers, drab colours, waterproof, silent removable knee pads, and pockets for lenses and things. According to the tracking info they will delivered Thursday, so I'll let you know

Found out in St. Lucia that wearing Camo is a criminal offence - and they take it seriously

What
I'm not really one for camo, so decided to try the Stealth Gear Extreme 2n trousers, drab colours, waterproof, silent removable knee pads, and pockets for lenses and things. According to the tracking info they will delivered Thursday, so I'll let you know

What are your thoughts?

What
What are your thoughts?

Sorry, have been so busy I forgot to report back, anyway.

I am very pleased with them, and found them very easy to get on with. The knee pads are fantastic, I tend to spend a lot of time kneeling to take shots and it was great to be able to just get down with thinking about the upcoming wet knees. Theres plenty of pockets although I struggled to get a 24-70 f/2.8 into the leg pockets, they did come in handy for teleconverters and the like. I imagine my 150 macro would have no problems. They are also padded for a little protection too. The waist comes up the back nicely to protect the lower back which is good too. My only gripe would be the sizing. Waist wise I am between a 34" & 36" waist, so I went with the medium, in hindsight I would be better with the large, although then I'm not sure how the legs would be, I may get a second pair to try out

Looking to buy a new coat and have wondered about the value of camouflage,i only do stalking for my bird photography so any further opinions would be appreciated.

Looking to buy a new coat and have wondered about the value of camouflage,i only do stalking for my bird photography so any further opinions would be appreciated.

I just use a Jack Pyke weatherproof fleece, fairly warm and convenient and pretty cheap from eBay. :)

Our safari Ranger told us that it didn't matter with most species, only the predators could distinguish colour, and they didn't give a s..t anyway ☺

Last edited:
wouldn't one of the ex army combat jackets work?

I just wear browns, greens, black, greys and khaki ( not all at once though ) just natural colours Im not keen on camouflage clothing as your human shape is still visible and any animal will see your shape whatever you are wearing.

I bought a small camo net from wildlife watching supplies which fits into a pocket and I just throw it over the camera and tripod and myself, it works a treat.

A small camo net hides your human shape far better than any clothing will and animals are not sure what you are.

It's amazing how much just hiding your hands in gloves and covering your face as much as possible makes. Animals see areas of uncovered skin so well. Sometimes camo is just better for stopping humans spotting you more than animals. Its when you are crouched down sitting still and another photographer or person comes over to ask what I'm photographing whilst they stand next to you breaking the horizon that you really want to be invisible.

I ended up going for black,its been working up to now so i thought why change.

Black is as good as anything, if you look around at a landscape especially amongst trees and bushes there is a lot of black and shadows amongst the branches.

Greens and greys work fairly well. It's worrth mentioning that people seeing a camo dude hiding may get the wrong idea, where as with just plain drab kit they are more lightly to think your just lost or bird watching.

Yes, full camo gear is ok in certain places but single colour drab is fine. Ive seen people wearing full camouflage gear on the Farne Islands where there are 200 people wandering about and the birds don't care a jot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I invested in some jack pyke stuff a while ago and got it out recently and went waddling after some deer. They were more ok with me being there than if I was wearing normal clothes, for sure. Once I got sat in a pile of leaves, mostly behind a log they were within about 5m of me.

Yes, full camo gear is ok in certain places but single colour drab is fine. Ive seen people wearing full camouflage gear on the Farne Islands where there are 200 people wandering about and the birds don't care a jot.

Always makes me giggle when theres a noisy group of 40 people in Richmond Park in all their gear. Like its helping

Back