Camouflage Netting For Hides?

I've cut a hole for my camera with one similar from Amazon without any problems. Mine had a string net to give it extra strength, but it's a PITA as it gets caught on anything and everything, so I cut it off. You many need two layers or more (I folded mine as it is quite big).

You will need to have darkness behind you (or a black backdrop) to stop them being able to see your shadow as that's enough to spook 'em.

I got some THIS, they claim animals can't see you behind it ... I use it over the back doorway and cut a slit for the lens.
It hasn't spooked any of the birds so seems to live up to its claim.

I've cut a hole for my camera with one similar from Amazon without any problems. Mine had a string net to give it extra strength, but it's a PITA as it gets caught on anything and everything, so I cut it off. You many need two layers or more (I folded mine as it is quite big).

You will need to have darkness behind you (or a black backdrop) to stop them being able to see your shadow as that's enough to spook 'em.

Much appreciated Trevor. Never thought of having a back drop behind...

Reactions: Sky
I got some THIS, they claim animals can't see you behind it ... I use it over the back doorway and cut a slit for the lens.
It hasn't spooked any of the birds so seems to live up to its claim.

Interesting stuff gramps...I can't shoot from any doors or windows, but last week I put a two and half metre square pergola up in the back, so I was thinking of hanging something from the one side that over the looks the garden...

Someone once told me the my old army DPM jacket is no good for hunting or photography as animals can see it but they have trouble seeing realtree camouflage jackets, anyone know if it's true or he was winding me up.

Someone once told me the my old army DPM jacket is no good for hunting or photography as animals can see it but they have trouble seeing realtree camouflage jackets, anyone know if it's true or he was winding me up.

The idea of camouflage is to break up recognisable lines because the brain remembers and recognises shapes more readily than detail. This is why animal hunters can wear camo gear, but still have a bright orange safety vest on - your outline isn't recognised so the animal's brain doesn't register you as a person. In nature, a single zebra is harder to separate from the herd in a lion's eyes because all the stripes of the other animals make the image confusing.

DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) can be anything, but is best if it's coloured to match the surroundings. I have both an army DPM jacket that I've used since the seventies for hunting and photography as well as a Real Tree one that I only got a few years ago. IME it makes no difference with animals as long as you stay still or move very slowly - it is more effective if it's a person looking for you though . . .

I fully understand what camouflage is, I was in the British Army.
The question is the DPM material used in the older army clothing is what I was told is easier seen by wildlife than the realtree pattern in modern hunting clothing.

I can see looking at it that this could be the case but am not 100% sure.

I fully understand what camouflage is, I was in the British Army.
The question is the DPM material used in the older army clothing is what I was told is easier seen by wildlife than the realtree pattern in modern hunting clothing.

I can see looking at it that this could be the case but am not 100% sure.
I was told it makes no odds - from a shooter who was addicted to Realtree and Mossy Oak!

As said above, keeping still/avoiding sudden movements makes more difference. Do that and you don't need cammo of any description.

Last edited:
Why are the hides so expensive? And could you get away with normal tent and a wildlife pattern tarp?

In Ireland there are not many fixed hides available at least where I am (interested in capturing birds of prey)

Back