Camouflage netting

Edit My Images
Yes
Any recommended suppliers / types of this for bird photography please. I'm looking to use it to make an ad hoc hide

I know it's not "Ad Hoc" but why not consider using a bag hide, something you throw over your camera, tripod and yourself of course. Far more portable than Ad Hoc and probably cheaper.

I use two sheets of Cammo netting from Mole Valley farmers - works very well and is extremely light! I added a few poles cut from a local wild stand of Bamboo (yes this is South Wales!) and a £1 pack of Tesco clothes pegs - total cost was about £25. Unfortunately Mole Valley Farmers no longer seem to stock this netting, however they do stock the Jack Pike equivalent - much more expensive but the sheets are larger so one might be all that you need?

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/jack-pyke-pigeon-net-green-3-x-24m

Why don't you look at a pop up camo tent, there are loads on amazon

Thanks for the suggestion but I was looking for something more lightweight to carry, hence the netting question

The pop up tent I had in my Archery days was a lot lighter and easier to put up and take down than the cammo netting and asst poles that I used when pigeon shooting

I'll give the guy at Miilers wood a call tomorrow, he uses netting on the hides, think he said it is used in shooting

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion but I was looking for something more lightweight to carry, hence the netting question

I agree. I have a pop up hide/tent but when out for a day of sitting and waiting my load is already very heavy - 50 + lbs. A couple of bamboo poles and some scrim netting adds little to my burden. My pop up hide on the other hand may make it necessary to leave the flask of tea at home = NOT HAPPENING :eek:

army surplus plenty on ebay, various sizes of net to suit or try a bag hide which is easy to carry about

I used to buy all my camo stuff from Cabela's in the USA, especially good for real tree stuff, I dont know what importing is like from the USA these days but when I last did it about 9 or so years ago I picked up a scent lock real tree pop up hide (blind in the USA) for £40 delivered!! so might be worth a look if your not in a hurry... ps.. forget bamboo poles just cut a couple of hazel sticks, they're ideal.

If you went birding in a nudist camp you wouldn't need any camouflage , you could photograph as many varities of tits as you like

Last edited:
I used to buy all my camo stuff from Cabela's in the USA, especially good for real tree stuff, I dont know what importing is like from the USA these days but when I last did it about 9 or so years ago I picked up a scent lock real tree pop up hide (blind in the USA) for £40 delivered!! so might be worth a look if your not in a hurry... ps.. forget bamboo poles just cut a couple of hazel sticks, they're ideal.
I've a mate who buys from the US the postage is mental these days, he paid about £20 for something small. Check before you buy!

If you went birding in a nudist camp you wouldn't need any camouflage , you could photograph as many varities of tits as you like
Not to mention several species of Beaver....

Probably not an especially helpful build on my part, but sometimes it's difficult to resist....

you will be surprised just how heavy camo netting will be ( I'm a Game Keeper) so I do use a lot for pest control shoots - I would opt for a pop up hide

Les

Back