Campaign! I should be able to photograph my kids

Don't apologise just explain to me your idea's. The petition is only the start, plenty of time to decide it's destination to be fair.

Not meaning to be rude here but it's 5 minutes to create an online petition, but takes far longer to actually research the issue, then write an appropriate letter to your MP. These are the law makers who need to be targeted.

As the schools come under the local authority, why not speak to your local council childcare team, or your local councillor. Herefordshire have a Childcare safeguarding board: http://www.proceduresonline.com/west mercia consortium/

Speak to your local Children's Social Care (Social Services) in Herefordshire on 01432 261628.

Have you actually spoken to the head teacher about the issue, if you have one.

If you feel strongly about this, there are several ways of taking this forward, but as I said previously, I'd like to see the legislation from the Childrens Act prohibiting the taking of photographs.

Have you had a meeting with the Head in Question regarding the policy? Or have you just started a rant and petition without really thinking about things in a knee jerk reaction?

They may have a good reason, which is why it is there, again they may not.

Lastly all those who say remove the child, not let them partake etc. are you serious? A child has been abused by someone they trusted, moved away from their area, probably alienated by kids at school already for being "Weird" so the answer is because you want a pic of your kid to remove them from doing something that might give them a tiny bit of self worth. Get real.

I would prefer to not have photographs than put that condition in place.

Have you ever had to talk to a parent about not having their child photographed because of that kind of situation? I have, and I would hope some of you internet Daily Mail reading keyboard heros would think again if you had seen a parent have to explain it to you.

Yes I have spoken with the head teacher on several occasions and I have an up and coming appointment for the second time in March with our local MP, but this issue is not restricted to just Hereford is it...

I have done a lot of research on this subject and I have overwhelming support here for both the parents and the children.

Yes we should protect the rights of vulnerable kids, but surely the parents have rights too. It's about finding that balance which is good for all.

Last edited:
What security reasons? This is a joke, I would of challenged that.

Child protection order would do that. Its ok saying that kids who cant be photographed can be out of the way why dont we make then wear big red squares on their uniform so people know not to take pictures is that the next step?

:clap: Child protection order would do that. Its ok saying that kids who cant be photographed can be out of the way why dont we make then wear big red squares on their uniform so people know not to take pictures is that the next step?

So from the minority the majority have to suffer then? great answer that and a fair one, NOT!
srichards post -Minority wishes are dangerous things to continually accommodate. :)

I was attending another school recently and the head teacher explained that photographs would be permitted after the show, and ANYONE not just "at risk" kids, who did not want to be included could leave the stage at that point. Like I said, it's about finding that common sense balance that suits all, which is clearly something that is missing from your last post.

Last edited:
Child protection order would do that. Its ok saying that kids who cant be photographed can be out of the way why dont we make then wear big red squares on their uniform so people know not to take pictures is that the next step?

The next step? You are over ten years out of date, as that method was being used ages ago (albeit with a yellow bib rather than a red square).

Have you had a meeting with the Head in Question regarding the policy? Or have you just started a rant and petition without really thinking about things in a knee jerk reaction?

They may have a good reason, which is why it is there, again they may not.

Lastly all those who say remove the child, not let them partake etc. are you serious? A child has been abused by someone they trusted, moved away from their area, probably alienated by kids at school already for being "Weird" so the answer is because you want a pic of your kid to remove them from doing something that might give them a tiny bit of self worth. Get real.

I would prefer to not have photographs than put that condition in place.

Have you ever had to talk to a parent about not having their child photographed because of that kind of situation? I have, and I would hope some of you internet Daily Mail reading keyboard heros would think again if you had seen a parent have to explain it to you.

Hear hear. Well said.

What security reasons? This is a joke, I would of challenged that.

They were genuine security reasons for the children, some of whom had famous parents who did not want to have their children photographed. Remember this as a photographer we may want the right to photograph our children, but other parents also have the right not to have their children photographed. The proffesional thing to do is follow the desire of your clients.

Jamer,

Good to see that you have an appointment booked with your local MP to discuss this further in due course. I would suggest that others who respond to the petition also go to see their MP as well - it is only by getting a number of MPs involved that any real change will place, no matter how many people sign the petition.

When you see him, I would suggest that you ask him to seek a meeting with Tim Loughton, the minister at the Department for Education with responsibility for safeguarding and child protection (and who coincidentally lists photography as one of his hobbies) where you could suggest that schools are reminded of the existing Information Commissioner's guidance on photography in schools that Daryl highlighted, and that the DoE will be expecting schools to follow that guidance.

I hope this doesn't come across as patronising (it is meant to be helpful), but having worked for a number of MPs, I know how little regard they give to these petitions (because they only take a couple of minutes to sign), compared to people who take the trouble to come and see them with well thought out, unemotional arguments and who can suggest something for the MP to do that is actually possible.

Regards,

Neil

Not sure if I've somehow misread this thread :thinking: ...... If I understand correctly? the OP is trying to raise awareness of people being unable to record the childhood of their children.. This isn't just about schools as it goes deeper than that! How about first swimming lesson, a day out in the park or just out playing with their friends, etc. :shrug: ... Not sure why the OP is being given a hard time by some on here :shrug:

Not sure if I've somehow misread this thread :thinking: ...... If I understand correctly? the OP is trying to raise awareness of people being unable to record the childhood of their children.. This isn't just about schools as it goes deeper than that! How about first swimming lesson, a day out in the park or just out playing with their friends, etc. :shrug: ... Not sure why the OP is being given a hard time by some on here :shrug:

Because he comes along with his campaign, hasn't researched all the arguments so doesn't have all the knowledge, hadn't sorted out his petition properly and acted like we had never come across this before and should all jump on his bandwagon.

The topic comes up regularly, and has been well debated on here, which he would have found out if he did a simple search.

He does think that child who have CPO's should be excluded from participating in plays etc. so as not to spoil it for others which is kind of not too considerate.

Oh, and he has added 8 words to threads other than this one, so just seems to be trying to recruit us for his revolution, which, has been covered in national press etc, and over Xmas had features in daily papers in which MP's etc where giving out advise on how to deal with schools not allowing this, rather than trying to add to the TP community.

We don't need a petition to go to MP's to campaign about taking photos, but some people need to know how to approach the decision makers in individual schools and get them to explain why they won't allow photos in school, to the people who are asking this in that school, rather than the general public.

He seems to be trying to build a large sledgehammer to deal with a very delicate nail.

As I said before, Trolling,so ignoring the thread (again!)

Because he comes along with his campaign, hasn't researched all the arguments so doesn't have all the knowledge, hadn't sorted out his petition properly and acted like we had never come across this before and should all jump on his bandwagon.

The topic comes up regularly, and has been well debated on here, which he would have found out if he did a simple search.

He does think that child who have CPO's should be excluded from participating in plays etc. so as not to spoil it for others which is kind of not too considerate.

Oh, and he has added 8 words to threads other than this one, so just seems to be trying to recruit us for his revolution, which, has been covered in national press etc, and over Xmas had features in daily papers in which MP's etc where giving out advise on how to deal with schools not allowing this, rather than trying to add to the TP community.

We don't need a petition to go to MP's to campaign about taking photos, but some people need to know how to approach the decision makers in individual schools and get them to explain why they won't allow photos in school, to the people who are asking this in that school, rather than the general public.

He seems to be trying to build a large sledgehammer to deal with a very delicate nail.

Fair enough Lawrie! but he's 'trying' to do something. Perhaps the op hasn't got everything sorted but he does have a very valid point and I don't think it's trolling :thinking: I also doubt that taking the matter up with individual schools helps much .... as I said before.... this is not just about schools!

I'm not criticising you here, but to me, that is much more of an intrusion than someone taking photos for personal reasons. The school allows a complete stranger to video our children for a fee, but the actual parents can't. This is hypocritical and implies that they're all for 'child protection', except when there's a few quid coming their way.

Totally agree about the Daily Mail, by the way!

Strangers who are fully CRB'd, and don't know the names or have any other contact with particular children.

(though of course the validity of the entire crb system is a whole other argument...)

First of all I do NOT, (as you claim) think that children under a CPO should be excluded from plays? please show me where I said that? What I actually said was;
surely at the end of any production a simple announcement stating that if anyone not wanting their children photographed to remove them from the set as this is the time for family photographs, "Common Sense" is the key word here and often missing.

I am not trying "in your words" to recruit you for my revolution, WTF?? Unbelievable words. I am merely trying to highlight some of the issues, preventing people who want to capture a precious moment of their children happening, is that so wrong then? I suppose I could just do nothing, but that is not in my nature, so rather than trolling through, maybe you could just choose to ignore this topic.
I thought this was a discussion forum for photography? if you find this whole topic not to your taste, then maybe photography is only your thing if the subjects cover the items of interest to you.

Last edited:
Jamer,

Good to see that you have an appointment booked with your local MP to discuss this further in due course. I would suggest that others who respond to the petition also go to see their MP as well - it is only by getting a number of MPs involved that any real change will place, no matter how many people sign the petition.

When you see him, I would suggest that you ask him to seek a meeting with Tim Loughton, the minister at the Department for Education with responsibility for safeguarding and child protection (and who coincidentally lists photography as one of his hobbies) where you could suggest that schools are reminded of the existing Information Commissioner's guidance on photography in schools that Daryl highlighted, and that the DoE will be expecting schools to follow that guidance.

I hope this doesn't come across as patronising (it is meant to be helpful), but having worked for a number of MPs, I know how little regard they give to these petitions (because they only take a couple of minutes to sign), compared to people who take the trouble to come and see them with well thought out, unemotional arguments and who can suggest something for the MP to do that is actually possible.

Regards,

Neil

Neil,

Thank you for your advice, any advice is useful and much appreciated. I had meeting only yesterday afternoon with the Publicity Office for the local council and she took a lot of what was discussed on board and has now kindly arranged another meeting with the director of child services to discuss this in more detail. Slow but positive progress is being made I am please to report.

Last edited:

Steve, you are absolutely correct, this is exactly my point, my daughter was recently in a local singing talent competition at the theater and again I was told that I could not video her? I explained that she was the only person on the stage! in the end it was agreed that I could film her but I was asked to keep it quiet.... She is 15 years old, going on 21 lol she could probably walk straight into a pub with no effort.

I was originally told that it was because of security issues? I explained that I hold a valid SIA security license and I have been CRB checked, (not that that is worth much) it was at this point that they agreed.

Ironic as they have CCTV camera's everywhere and had been filming my daughter from the moment that she walked in, nobody asked my permission?

Strangers who are fully CRB'd, and don't know the names or have any other contact with particular children.

(though of course the validity of the entire crb system is a whole other argument...)

Quite agree, and just to be clear, I think that this kind of blanket ban on the grounds of child safety is a huge over-reaction. However, some schools seem to place greater trust in a stranger than in the parents of the children involved when there's a bit of cash involved, which is hypocritical at best.

What on earth has gone wrong?

I'm 57 and I remember that we had a lot more freedom when we were growing up. Most people over 40, possibly younger, probably recall that too. Was paedophilia less common, was it just brushed under the carpet or have the state and some parts of the media just blown it out of proportion for their own reasons? Do other countries have these absurd regulations?

My kids were born and grew up in South Africa and most people would have thought you were bonkers for suggesting restrictions on photography at school events. We often gave other people's children lifts, without a second thought, and I regularly took groups of boisterous 12 - 14 year old girls to their riding lessons. My daughter was usually in the car, but not always, and no-one ever asked me or anyone else to get "checked out". AFAIK, there wasn't even a procedure for doing this. It's very sad.

She is 15 years old, going on 21 lol she could probably walk straight into a pub with no effort

What on earth has that got to do with anything apart from your daughter probably getting hit on by much older men because of her look? Sorry but that is totally irrelevant. Seems the issue was the fuss being made by you filming it.

Have you actually contributed anything else to this forum at all? Or are you here trying to recruit for your campaign?

What on earth has that got to do with anything apart from your daughter probably getting hit on by much older men because of her look? Sorry but that is totally irrelevant. Seems the issue was the fuss being made by you filming it.

Have you actually contributed anything else to this forum at all? Or are you here trying to recruit for your campaign?

My point and what I was trying to point out was that she is not exactly a little 6 year old girl, so your comment referring to being hit on by older men is uncalled for a not welcome to be frank. :cautious: (I find your thought process somewhat alarming...)

Some members are not very welcoming to newer members, especially when all I am trying to do is create a sensible debate...

I am a new member as you can clearly see. I have huge interests in photography and many pictures that I will be contributing for comment. I will also be using the forum for advice on techniques etc..

Listen I am not here to push anything onto anyone. I thought it was an important topic and wanted views etc.. I also believe this is a grey area of the law that needs some sort of direction or very clear clarification.

Last edited:
I also believe this is a grey area of the law that needs some sort of direction or very clear clarification.

The law is perfectly clear. Schools are private property and the Govenors can set whatever rules they want in respect to activities on them.

If they ban photography they ban photography.

No petition is going to get this lifted.

A quite word with them will have more effect than a petition or a demand that your "right" which BTW doesn't exist, be respected.

The law is perfectly clear. Schools are private property and the Govenors can set whatever rules they want in respect to activities on them.

If they ban photography they ban photography.

No petition is going to get this lifted.

A quite word with them will have more effect than a petition or a demand that your "right" which BTW doesn't exist, be respected.

They are public property in the sense that they are supported by taxpayer monies.

Throughout education in the UK, the vast majority of state-funded schools are under the control of local councils (Local Education Authorities in England and Wales, Department of Education in Northern Ireland), and are referred to in official literature as "maintained schools". The exceptions are a minority of secondary schools in England funded directly by central government, known as academies and City Technology Colleges.

Last edited:
They are public property in the sense that they are supported by taxpayer monies.

Means nothing in terms of what you can and cant do on them.

The Govenors control them and control the ability of anyone to enter the premises and what they can and can't do whilst there.

Your knowledge of the law is,I 'm afraid, rather lacking

Means nothing in terms of what you can and cant do on them.

The Govenors control them and control the ability of anyone to enter the premises and what they can and can't do whilst there.

So what about taking photographs in public places as this subject is not just about schools

So what about taking photographs in public places as this subject is not just about schools

I think you need to research what is and what is not a public place.

Few areas are public in the sense that you have an unfettered right of access. for example a public park - does not mean you have unfettered rights of access.

Roads and pavements make up the majoirty of those where your rights to be there are fairly unfettered but even on those you have to comply with the law.

Last edited:
I also believe this is a grey area of the law that needs some sort of direction or very clear clarification.

I've constantly asked you to show me the legislation where it states that you cannot take photographs. You're unable to because it doesn't exist. There are no grey areas of the law, only jobsworths interpretation of them, usually incorrectly quoting data protection.

What you need to be aware of is the law regarding these situations and react accordingly. If you're challenged in a public place then call the police and tell the people you are calling the police. They are breaking the law by acting aggressively towards you, you are doing nothing wrong.If it's on private property then usually the terms and conditions of entry are printed on the ticket. If you don't comply then you can only be asked to leave. If you don't then it's tresspassing.

We're a very friendly, welcoming forum, but usually it's polite to say hello before jumping straight onto the Daily Mail soapbox

Jamer,

After twice saying I will ignore this thread, I can't seem to stay away!

Firstly, I do owe you an apology. Having gone through the thread I cannot find any support from you for excluding children under a CPO, however, I am not the only person who got that impression, and you do like editing your posts. You would have to be quite cruel to support that, so please accept my apologies.

The reason I say your trolling is that in the first instance you appear to sign up on here for the sole purpose to gather support for your campaign. (hence signing up for the revolution). This is a forum full of photographers, so you would expect to get support, and beleive me no one on here wants to be in a position where they can't click the shutter.

You've jumped straight in saying that photography should be allowed in all schools, which is fine, but you haven't backed up any of the research you have done by pointing this out to us.

I am no expert on this subject but am aware of the CPO issue which I raised earlier, although you want to forget about that and soldier on.

Plenty of people have pointed out why photography cannot take place in all schools, and peope like Daryl have offered a solution. yes it would be great if everyone could take photos in every school, but it cannot happen. Daryls suggestion of a paid tog to do the photos is a much better idea - CRB checked, the school can vet every picture, and whilst many on here will have 1.4 aperture lens, with iso's in the millions to shoot in a dark school hall during a production, most parents don't. This would mean they get a photo of Little Jimmy they can use, rather than the blurry mess there compact would produce.
Your suggestion of taking the kids off the stage if they don't want to be photographed is flawed as well as it is also excluding children from a part of the performance, and makes them stand out. It would also mean that the parents would have to tell the children to get off the stage before the photos, which could mean that young kids 4/5 yrs old would have to be given reasons as to why they can't be in photos, again not good for a child.
Another school of thought with regards to children's pictures on the internet is that is may encourage then to be stalked and groomed by undesirables over a period of time. Whilst I have no idea whether this is something that does take place, it is something that parents worry about and want to protect their children against.

Then someone else drops in about other place, parks swimming pools etc. Well you walk into any swimming pool in this country with a DSLR during a public swim and you won't be in ther viewing area for long, whether the pool is filled with toddlers, teenagers or grannies. And I don't think many will argue about that.(and yes I know some people shoot swimming Gala's, that is a bit different).

You are unaware of what rights people have to take photos in public places - people are not stopped taking photos in Parks by headteachers or policeman, it tends to be members of the public who decide a man with a black camera and a big lens is a p***. So unless your going to visit the majority of the adult population and hand them a copy of the petition, this won't change that.

This is also a topic which has been covered in the national press, links have been put in this thread, which already support your argument and will have had a lot more penetration and effect, so I partly feel you have been beaten to the punch.

The theatre you mention is private property, so if they so no picture, then it is no pictures. And if you want a copy of your daughter on the CCTV footage, then send them a small cheque (I forget how much) and they have to send you a copy of the tapes.

And the argument about who decides what is or isn't suitable to shoot where under 18's are involved is another issue altogether, and one which the police take quite a keen stance on.

The reason I feel your trolling, is that I define Trolling as someone who's sole intent with a thread is to provoke an argument regardless of any argument given to them. Seeing that you have started this thread with an (albeit wellmeaning) idea, which when given a sensible argument as to why it happens and how to sort it out, you keep on dragging in other areas where you feel this argument is relevant, even though it is fairly obvious that it is not and are repeatedly being told so. As I said above, it is also a topic which has been covered already. The initial tone of your initial posts also gave me the impression that you did not expect this topic to have been debated on here previously, or that anyone may have some opinions or knowledge that you did not. It came across as a little presumptious and condescending to me.
On top of this, you have not contributed to other areas of the forum. I would like yo uto do that, as I feel you can add to the forum. That is why I say Trolling.

What I would rather you had done was to list the arguments that you are aware of, both for an against so that we knew that you had an idea of what you where talking about, including your meetings with your MP etc, who you were aiming the petition at, and what aims you wanted from it. That would have been a better way to gather support.

So whilst I may not ignore this thread completely, I still stand by what I said.

Last edited:
I've constantly asked you to show me the legislation where it states that you cannot take photographs. You're unable to because it doesn't exist. There are no grey areas of the law, only jobsworths interpretation of them, usually incorrectly quoting data protection.

What you need to be aware of is the law regarding these situations and react accordingly. If you're challenged in a public place then call the police and tell the people you are calling the police. They are breaking the law by acting aggressively towards you, you are doing nothing wrong.If it's on private property then usually the terms and conditions of entry are printed on the ticket. If you don't comply then you can only be asked to leave. If you don't then it's tresspassing.

We're a very friendly, welcoming forum, but usually it's polite to say hello before jumping straight onto the Daily Mail soapbox

The answer is in your question, because I cannot find any legalisation where it says that you cannot take photographs either and that was my initial point, that is what I find so frustrating, being told or frowned upon because we want to take pictures of our kids.

Jamer,

After twice saying I will ignore this thread, I can't seem to stay away!

Firstly, I do owe you an apology. Having gone through the thread I cannot find any support from you for excluding children under a CPO, however, I am not the only person who got that impression, and you do like editing your posts. You would have to be quite cruel to support that, so please accept my apologies.

The reason I say your trolling is that in the first instance you appear to sign up on here for the sole purpose to gather support for your campaign. (hence signing up for the revolution). This is a forum full of photographers, so you would expect to get support, and beleive me no one on here wants to be in a position where they can't click the shutter.

You've jumped straight in saying that photography should be allowed in all schools, which is fine, but you haven't backed up any of the research you have done by pointing this out to us.

I am no expert on this subject but am aware of the CPO issue which I raised earlier, although you want to forget about that and soldier on.

Plenty of people have pointed out why photography cannot take place in all schools, and peope like Daryl have offered a solution. yes it would be great if everyone could take photos in every school, but it cannot happen. Daryls suggestion of a paid tog to do the photos is a much better idea - CRB checked, the school can vet every picture, and whilst many on here will have 1.4 aperture lens, with iso's in the millions to shoot in a dark school hall during a production, most parents don't. This would mean they get a photo of Little Jimmy they can use, rather than the blurry mess there compact would produce.
Your suggestion of taking the kids off the stage if they don't want to be photographed is flawed as well as it is also excluding children from a part of the performance, and makes them stand out. It would also mean that the parents would have to tell the children to get off the stage before the photos, which could mean that young kids 4/5 yrs old would have to be given reasons as to why they can't be in photos, again not good for a child.
Another school of thought with regards to children's pictures on the internet is that is may encourage then to be stalked and groomed by undesirables over a period of time. Whilst I have no idea whether this is something that does take place, it is something that parents worry about and want to protect their children against.

Then someone else drops in about other place, parks swimming pools etc. Well you walk into any swimming pool in this country with a DSLR during a public swim and you won't be in ther viewing area for long, whether the pool is filled with toddlers, teenagers or grannies. And I don't think many will argue about that.(and yes I know some people shoot swimming Gala's, that is a bit different).

You are unaware of what rights people have to take photos in public places - people are not stopped taking photos in Parks by headteachers or policeman, it tends to be members of the public who decide a man with a black camera and a big lens is a p***. So unless your going to visit the majority of the adult population and hand them a copy of the petition, this won't change that.

This is also a topic which has been covered in the national press, links have been put in this thread, which already support your argument and will have had a lot more penetration and effect, so I partly feel you have been beaten to the punch.

The theatre you mention is private property, so if they so no picture, then it is no pictures. And if you want a copy of your daughter on the CCTV footage, then send them a small cheque (I forget how much) and they have to send you a copy of the tapes.

And the argument about who decides what is or isn't suitable to shoot where under 18's are involved is another issue altogether, and one which the police take quite a keen stance on.

The reason I feel your trolling, is that I define Trolling as someone who's sole intent with a thread is to provoke an argument regardless of any argument given to them. Seeing that you have started this thread with an (albeit wellmeaning) idea, which when given a sensible argument as to why it happens and how to sort it out, you keep on dragging in other areas where you feel this argument is relevant, even though it is fairly obvious that it is not and are repeatedly being told so. As I said above, it is also a topic which has been covered already. The initial tone of your initial posts also gave me the impression that you did not expect this topic to have been debated on here previously, or that anyone may have some opinions or knowledge that you did not. It came across as a little presumptious and condescending to me.
On top of this, you have not contributed to other areas of the forum. I would like yo uto do that, as I feel you can add to the forum. That is why I say Trolling.

What I would rather you had done was to list the arguments that you are aware of, both for an against so that we knew that you had an idea of what you where talking about, including your meetings with your MP etc, who you were aiming the petition at, and what aims you wanted from it. That would have been a better way to gather support.

So whilst I may not ignore this thread completely, I still stand by what I said.

Lawrie, thank you for your honest apology, which I fully accept.

My intentions when I started this thread were genuine and sincere, maybe the way in which I have come across has been misunderstood, as it was not my intention to start an argument, on the contrary, I want serious comments about a serious debate. Virtually all the comments made here are valid in one way of another.

The Theater in question is council run, so I am not sure if that constitutes private property or not, however, that said, The Hereford Times came in last week and just took pictures anyway, even though it states photography forbidden, furthermore, on the tickets for the event and on the application form we submitted for my daughters entry, there paragraph, it says and I quote:
Parental/Guardian Permission
(If you are under 18 by Sunday 6 2011) Parents/guardians are asked to indicate whether you give consent for your son/daughter taking part in the talent competition, your child being photographed, filmed, recorded or having their work published by the theater. This will ensure that your child's contribution is used in accordance with your wishes. In giving your consent for your son/daughter to take part in the talent competition you agree to them appearing in promotional material as part of the arts activities organised by the theater . The material may be used in publications, exhibitions,webpages, public broadcasts (eg. on radio or television), musical competitions (including sampled recordings) and archives.

So I am somewhat confused and frustrated, because if they state no photography everywhere, then what is the point of this statement which appears on this unique entry form and also on the tickets?

With regard to this topic already being covered on here and in the national press, I did initially search for topics covering this subject and could not find any, as for the press, yes this subject has been covered previously but to no avail, hence why I am trying to draw attention to the topic.

I am just a single parent, who loves his children like anyone else, I really enjoy my photography and like most other parents just want to enjoy taking precious pictures of my children for future memories and to look back on when they and I am older. Moments like school nativity plays, sports days, rugby matches, gala's and other such events and I am just so frustrated when I am told that I can't photograph my own kids. I know that is the society in which we now live, but it was never like this when I was at school.

I fully appreciate and I really do, that vulnerable children certainly need protecting, but it just seems so unfair, that we are in a loose loose situation here. If we ask for anyone not wanting to participate in photographers after a show, we are accused of allowing the at risk kids to stand out, yet we don't get our pictures either... I would love to keep everyone happy and be able to come up with the perfect solution, maybe there ain't one, but exploring that idea has to be worth it. We need to find a balance that is acceptable to all.

Please forgive me if I have come across differently to how I intended but that is probably my frustration and passion showing through.

I am not stupid and of course I take all advice offered.

I have every intention of being part of your forum and hope to discuss many other areas of photography, HDR in particular, but I had to start somewhere.

Colin,

It isn't my forum, and you certainly don't need forgiveness!

The whole point of parts of this forum is for debate, and your entitled to your point of view, and I am entitled to mine.

I fully understand that you want pictures of your kids, just like I want them of mine. I am fortunate that my kids schools have no issues.

Whilst I would go about things differently to you, that is maybe no bad thing.

Seeing as you have a decent camera, and are CRB checked, why not approach the head at the school to have more of an official role in taking photos, maybe ones that could be sold to raise funds for the school etc, but certainly ones that get passed for approval so that any child protection issues are avoided. Or if you don;t feel comfortable doing this, then suggest they get a pro in - surely paying a few quid for photos is better than not having them at all?

With regards legislation to this issue, there is none. A Child Protection Order is a court order, not a law. Each one can be taylored to the childrens need as far as my limited knowledge goes, so it may be that not every child under a CPO is going to be put at risk if they are photographed, but it is easier for schools etc to treat them as such.

It is the schools decision, so you need to be addressing your attention to the head teacher, and maybe getting a petition amongst the parents at the school to get them to change there mind.

That in my mind is more effective than lobbying an MP to change a law which does not stop people taking the pictures in the first place!

But, you are of course free to do what you please.

Now stick some pictures up so we can have a look at them!

Colin,

It isn't my forum, and you certainly don't need forgiveness!

The whole point of parts of this forum is for debate, and your entitled to your point of view, and I am entitled to mine.

I fully understand that you want pictures of your kids, just like I want them of mine. I am fortunate that my kids schools have no issues.

Whilst I would go about things differently to you, that is maybe no bad thing.

Seeing as you have a decent camera, and are CRB checked, why not approach the head at the school to have more of an official role in taking photos, maybe ones that could be sold to raise funds for the school etc, but certainly ones that get passed for approval so that any child protection issues are avoided. Or if you don;t feel comfortable doing this, then suggest they get a pro in - surely paying a few quid for photos is better than not having them at all?

With regards legislation to this issue, there is none. A Child Protection Order is a court order, not a law. Each one can be taylored to the childrens need as far as my limited knowledge goes, so it may be that not every child under a CPO is going to be put at risk if they are photographed, but it is easier for schools etc to treat them as such.

It is the schools decision, so you need to be addressing your attention to the head teacher, and maybe getting a petition amongst the parents at the school to get them to change there mind.

That in my mind is more effective than lobbying an MP to change a law which does not stop people taking the pictures in the first place!

But, you are of course free to do what you please.

Now stick some pictures up so we can have a look at them!

Thank you for you opinion, which is valued I can assure you. I just wish that if we as parents are not permitted to photograph then as you said, get a pro or a teacher to take some so that we at least can buy them, I have no issues with that option and I am happy to pay for them too as long as they dont take the mickey with the price.

Have a look in the Photo sharing forum I have added a few HDR ones that I would like opinions on.

The Theater in question is council run, so I am not sure if that constitutes private property or not, however, that said, The Hereford Times came in last week and just took pictures anyway, even though it states photography forbidden, furthermore, on the tickets for the event and on the application form we submitted for my daughters entry, there paragraph, it says and I quote:

As I have stated before, just because something is owned by the council or other government function does not give you rights of access.

The theatre's governing body can set what ever terms and conditions they like. In this case, it seems they have decided you cant take pics but others e.g the press can.

This is their right and is set out in the terms and conditions.

These things are not changed by petition.

<snip>

These things are not changed by petition.

Councils are elected and therefore a petition would be a perfectly legitimate way to seek change!

Councils are elected and therefore a petition would be a perfectly legitimate way to seek change!

Its legitimate - but also highly likely to be ineffective.

Lobbying is much more effective in these things, you want people on your side not backed into a corner or made to look like they only did it because they were forced to.

The councillors may not even control the theatre even if it is owned by them.

The tale of the sun and the wind comes to mind as the way to approach these matters

Back