Camping in Colder Locations?

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Not really sure where to put this so I’ve gone for the OOF section, as it’s not completely photography related…

I’m planning on going to Snowdonia for a long weekend in November or December to take some landscape photos. I bought myself a VW T4 van a while ago to use as a camper whilst on landscape trips, but had always planned to have a diesel powered Eberspacher heater fitted for the colder months. Trouble is, these heaters are towards the fat end of £1000 to buy and have fitted, and it’s not really an option for me at the moment. A lot of people on this forum obviously visit and stay in areas like north Wales and Scotland during the winter, and I’m assuming that they either camp there or stay in hotels? Unless they’re lucky enough to be local!

I’ve been looking at sleeping bags and some reasonably priced ones have a comfort temperature of 3 degrees or so. I’ve insulated and carpeted the van since buying it, and it’s got a super comfy foam bed for me to sleep on, so if I stick some thermals on and pack a few extra blankets to go over the sleeping bag etc, I think it should be ok. I’m hoping that there are other people on the forum who have done similar (either in a van or tent) and might have some advice or tips? Or do you all just book into hotels and stay cosy and warm? :D

I would have posted this on the actual VW T4 forum, but they’re not as friendly or helpful! :LOL:

Cheers!

Don't scrimp on the sleeping bag. If you are cold you will not sleep and feel like s*** in the morning.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/sleeping-bags

Hooded bags are the best. Do location researches and check out the lowest temps likely to be encountered. Well known bag makers will have a spec for their bags that say the temps they can handle. Good outdoor shops will give plenty useful advice too.

I would also look at a couple of good hot water bottles as you can heat up a good batch of hot water at bedtime in decent time and if you use insulated jackets they will slow release all night.

Don't scrimp on the sleeping bag. If you are cold you will not sleep and feel like s*** in the morning.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/sleeping-bags

Hooded bags are the best. Do location researches and check out the lowest temps likely to be encountered. Well known bag makers will have a spec for their bags that say the temps they can handle. Good outdoor shops will give plenty useful advice too.

Cheers Doug. I remember camping one time when I forgot my sleeping bag (doh!) and had to borrow a blanket from a friend. Even though it was only September, it was as the worst nights sleep of my life and I kept waking up from the cold. Definitely an experience I want to avoid!

I'm happy to spend a little more on a decent bag, and as I'll be in the van I don't have to worry about it being a lightweight one. I'll have a proper look and try and get down to a decent outdoor shop before I make any decisions

I would also look at a couple of good hot water bottles as you can heat up a good batch of hot water at bedtime in decent time and if you use insulated jackets they will slow release all night.

Good Idea Paul, thanks! I'll invest in some decent hot water bottles and remember to take a few litres of extra water. I've got a box full of disposable hand warmers which are amazing and last for a good 7 hours or so, and I was planning to stick some in the bag with me :D

Have a look at, as a minimum, 3 season sleeping bags but 4 season bags would give you more margin and it is always easier to lose a bit of heat if you too warm than get warm if too cold.

Good one won't be cheap, but a lot cheaper than the Eberspacher heater.

The biggest problem with sleeping in a van in cold weather is likely to be condensation.

Dave

If you're sleeping in the van then blankets should suffice, sounds like you're well insulated below.
As said, a couple of hot water bottles will keep you toasty.
I used to camp out regularly in a hammock and tarp in the winter.

Maybe look for an ex army surplus store? I got a proper hooded, feather/down bag from a mate many years ago. Don't know what tog rating it is & how it compares with todays modern bags though. Just a suggestion which may be cost effective. Maybe even worth buying a cheap double as well, which you can then slip into while in a decent single if it's very cold? (double bagging :cool: )

Last edited:
Cheers Doug. I remember camping one time when I forgot my sleeping bag (doh!) and had to borrow a blanket from a friend. Even though it was only September, it was as the worst nights sleep of my life and I kept waking up from the cold. Definitely an experience I want to avoid!

I'm happy to spend a little more on a decent bag, and as I'll be in the van I don't have to worry about it being a lightweight one. I'll have a proper look and try and get down to a decent outdoor shop before I make any decisions

Good Idea Paul, thanks! I'll invest in some decent hot water bottles and remember to take a few litres of extra water. I've got a box full of disposable hand warmers which are amazing and last for a good 7 hours or so, and I was planning to stick some in the bag with me :D

Good hot water bottle can go 7 hours easy but as Dave says condensation is a big issue.

I would also say in a van the sleeping bag is maybe not the best choice as you say you have a super comfy foam bed, if that is plenty warm underneath i might think of just a thin bag and a light duvet to go over the top.
With a duvet you ca push it up over your head a bit without restricting yourself.

I have a Rab Ascent goose down sleeping bag, would thoroughly recommend them if you go the sleeping bag route. But as above, maybe not needed with a van.

Can't believe how many replies I've got already, thanks all! :D Sounds like it should be easier than I expected. A three season bag, some thermal clothes and a couple of hot water bottles should see me through! Not sure I'll want to get out of the bag in the morning though, let alone get out of the van :D

Have a look at, as a minimum, 3 season sleeping bags but 4 season bags would give you more margin and it is always easier to lose a bit of heat if you too warm than get warm if too cold.

Good one won't be cheap, but a lot cheaper than the Eberspacher heater.

The biggest problem with sleeping in a van in cold weather is likely to be condensation.

Dave

The ones I've been looking at are three season bags. Four season ones seem to be much, much more expensive and I don't think I'd need one. As I'm not hiking and have loads of room in the van, I can carry extra blankets, thermal clothing, hot water bottles etc as needed.

If you're sleeping in the van then blankets should suffice, sounds like you're well insulated below.
As said, a couple of hot water bottles will keep you toasty.
I used to camp out regularly in a hammock and tarp in the winter.

Yeah the foam that makes up my bed is dense and about 4 inches thick. It's just as comfy as my bed at home :D

Maybe look for an ex army surplus store? I got a proper hooded, feather/down bag from a mate many years ago. Don't know what tog rating it is & how it compares with todays modern bags though. Just a suggestion which may be cost effective. Maybe even worth buying a cheap double as well, which you can then slip into while in a decent single if it's very cold? (double bagging :cool: )

Good idea, I think there was an army surplus store in Weymouth about 45 minutes from me, I might see if it's still there and pop down at the weekend.

Good hot water bottle can go 7 hours easy but as Dave says condensation is a big issue.

I've noticed condensation is a pain in the ass anyway in a van, even in the warmer months. Must be a nightmare when it's actually cold. Wonder if a few of those plastic pod things with the dehumidifier pellets inside might help a bit?

I have a Rab Ascent goose down sleeping bag, would thoroughly recommend them if you go the sleeping bag route. But as above, maybe not needed with a van.

They look incredibly cushty and warm, but they're a bit out of my ideal price range really. As you say I think they might be a bit overkill in a reasonably well insulated van

I've now got a stupidly expensive Rab sleeping bag but what I used to do was take two cheap bags with me, if I got cold I'd put one inside the other.

Cheap and toasty :)

If you have a decent 3 season bag (or can justify the cost) then why not just get a cheap and nasty summer bag and use it as well?

Sure you wouldn't want to do this if you were hiking and carrying kit but 2 X OK sleeping bags are going to be just as warm as one great expensive one. Just heavier.

It's exactly how my duvet at home works ;) Actually, thinking about it......why not just get a 15 tog duvet to chuck over the top? Dunelm have them cheap now the students are back.

I've now got a stupidly expensive Rab sleeping bag but what I used to do was take two cheap bags with me, if I got cold I'd put one inside the other.

Cheap and toasty :)

Cheap and toasty is exactly what I need! :D

If you have a decent 3 season bag (or can justify the cost) then why not just get a cheap and nasty summer bag and use it as well?

Sure you wouldn't want to do this if you were hiking and carrying kit but 2 X OK sleeping bags are going to be just as warm as one great expensive one. Just heavier.

It's exactly how my duvet at home works ;) Actually, thinking about it......why not just get a 15 tog duvet to chuck over the top? Dunelm have them cheap now the students are back.

I have a cheapy sleeping bag in the van at the moment, but its pretty crap (it says the optimum temp is 11 degrees!!, and I do have a double duvet in the van too, bunged in the storage box under the bed... Maybe I can just layer up with those!

They look incredibly cushty and warm, but they're a bit out of my ideal price range really. As you say I think they might be a bit overkill in a reasonably well insulated van

I got a bargain in GoOutdoors, only reason it was within my price range :)

I wouldn't bother with a hot water bottle just buy a a6300 and shoot some video before bed. It should glow all night.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
Well, at the weekend I almost got my first chance to try sleeping in the van on a cold night. Not on purpose though :D If you ever go to Wareham Forest, make sure you park in the public car park, not the staff one by mistake. I can tell you from experience they will lock you in there when they go home :whistle:

Last edited:
Coldest nights sleep I've ever had was in a van. My mate had started converting a panel van to a camper, he was not finished. It was like sleeping in a fridge and the condensation was ridiculous spent an hour driving back to Keswick with the blowers on full and the windows open. We were both soaked through after an aborted bivvy trip so the volume of water we brought in didn't help.

Not sure how much insulation you have in the van, his is fine now, but you do need more sleeping bag than you think. The metal body cools down faster and gets colder than the ground so you might be better with a roll mat and a tarp and sleeping out side... Unless you're in a staff car park in which case :LOL:

Last edited:
Coldest nights sleep I've ever had was in a van. My made had started converting a panel van to a camper, he was not finished. It was like sleeping in a fridge and the condensation was ridiculous spent an hour driving back to Keswick with the blowers on full and the windows open. We were both soaked through after an aborted bivvy trip so the volume of water we brought in didn't help.

I stayed in my van last September before I had started converting it. It was an empty shell of a van, so was basically just a metal box. I kept waking up from the cold and getting dripped on from the condensation on the roof. Like you say, an empty metal box gets cold very fast!

Not sure how much insulation you have in the van, his is fine now, but you do need more sleeping bag than you think. The metal body cools down faster and gets colder than the ground so you might be better with a roll mat and a tarp and sleeping out side...

I have a layer of lead flashing tape (for noise not heat), then some foil lined bubble wrap, an inch or so air gap, then some more foil bubble wrap, then the wood panels and finally some carpet. I've only used it during warmer months since insulating it, but so far it's been pretty toasty and sometimes even too warm. I've seen this 3-4 season sleeping bag in the sale at Mountain Warehouse, and I think with that, my duvet and maybe a hot water bottle, I should be ok. Mind you I've never camped in the cold before so I could be wrong!

Unless you're in a staff car park in which case :LOL:

They came and let me out about an hour and a half after I rang them, so I got to go home to my warm bed that night :D

I have a layer of lead flashing tape (for noise not heat), then some foil lined bubble wrap, an inch or so air gap, then some more foil bubble wrap, then the wood panels and finally some carpet. I've only used it during warmer months since insulating it, but so far it's been pretty toasty and sometimes even too warm. I've seen this 3-4 season sleeping bag in the sale at Mountain Warehouse, and I think with that, my duvet and maybe a hot water bottle, I should be ok. Mind you I've never camped in the cold before so I could be wrong!

Sounds about the same as my mates, except he has the kids in pop roof to keep the heat in.

That bag will be fine, its heavy and bulky but you don't need to carry it so it doesn't matter. That, a loose layer of light clothing and the extra insulation from the van will most likely be fine even knocking a few degrees for Mountain Warehouse's optimistic temperature ratings. You've got room so yeah chuck a good heavy weight duvet in, in fact you could probably get a cheaper bag from tesco and chuck the duvet over, you want some thing to keep the heat in if you move around though.

Have you seen this vid of a van to camper conversion?
It might have a few tips you'll find useful. (y)

Last update :D I went to North Wales in the van last weekend, and slept there for four nights. The first night was down to -0.6 degrees and I had to deice the windscreen in the morning. Think the inside of the van was 3-4 degrees in the back. My new sleeping bag kept me as snug as a bug in a rug, with my face being the only bit that got a bit chilly. Didn't need the extra duvet or the hot water bottle at all. The next thee nights were 8-9 degrees inside the van and I ended up getting very hot and didn't sleep well at all!

Going to be doing a lot more winter camping in it now that I know it's ok. I think I could go a bit lower than freezing without too much difficulty :D

I stayed in my van last September before I had started converting it. It was an empty shell of a van, so was basically just a metal box. I kept waking up from the cold and getting dripped on from the condensation on the roof. Like you say, an empty metal box gets cold very fast!

They came and let me out about an hour and a half after I rang them, so I got to go home to my warm bed that night :D
Get a 18v Battery powered side grinder and a decent LED floodlight and put them in an old cameea bag. Then you get to go home 5 minutes after you find that you parked in the wrong place.....

Speaking from bitter experience of winter climbing trips to Wales many years ago the 3 things you must do are, 1: get the best sleeping bag you can afford, 2: get the best sleeping bag you can afford, 3: get the best sleeping bag you can afford. And I mean it, I learnt the hard way, you can always cool down in winter but seldom heat up. Drink, although pleasant at the time's no replacement for a warm bag!

Back