Camping out and lens questions...

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a couple questions for the wildlife fans on here...

Do you A) Simply walk around and snap whatever you find (i.e birds, mammals) or B) Camp out for a few days in a camouflaged hide and wait for the subject to come to you?

Also, does anyone know where I can locate a waterproof covering for a Canon 400mm f5.6?

Almost all the best wildlife shots come from the use of hides or finely honed skills in stalking the subject.

Just walking about depends heavily on luck.

walknig around, most animals will spot/smell you a mile off before you notice them!

Almost all the best wildlife shots come from the use of hides or finely honed skills in stalking the subject.

Just walking about depends heavily on luck.

walknig around, most animals will spot/smell you a mile off before you notice them!

Thanks guys, anyone know of someone/somewhere on here where I can get a good-quality hide?

What about scrim nets?

OK for throwing over your head to hide your face.

I have no idea of your level of knowledge about wildlife but, unless you have done so, you'll need to learn about your potential subjects and their habits.
No point in hanging about a place unless you know it is frequented by what you want to photograph.
Wildlife photography is not easy.

OK for throwing over your head to hide your face.

I have no idea of your level of knowledge about wildlife but, unless you have done so, you'll need to learn about your potential subjects and their habits.
No point in hanging about a place unless you know it is frequented by what you want to photograph.
Wildlife photography is not easy.

I'm up for the challenge. :D

Being a fly angler, I spend a lot of time outdoors where I see a large amount of wildlife, from Beetle larvae to Herons. The trees outside my home are frequented by a few different species of Tits, Sparrows, Robins and during the summer, Red Kites can often be seen circling around overhead and in the field next door, you can see the occasional Hare and Fox.

Off to a good start then.

http://www.stealth-gear.com/product...phy-hides/one-man-photography-chair-hide.html

Perhaps someone on here can comment on that hide from personal experience.

I have a 2 man hide and you can see most of the discussion in the thread "hides". Very small and cramped, not really designed for long periods and not waterproof, but good to see out the back of and the side windows have mesh which opens up to take photos out of also, but also use it along with clearview netting, which is great stuff.

Wildlife photography from what I have found if very rewarding and VERY frustrating.

I/we sit in hides for hours, days and weeks on end seeing nothing:shrug: then the shot you have been waiting for comes along. (y)

I am very fortunate in having over 700 acres of land in which to choose my hide positions and I have use of static hides, portable hides and a semi permanent hide, and am looking into the wooden hide next.

I can be found on the edge of a field while other half is ploughing, combining or whatever he is doing and taking pot luck at what is around, but also found lurking in a hide somewhere, at some stupid o'clock waiting for the odd fox, deer, buzzard,(soon:D) kite, and equally have pleasure n taking photos of what is ever around at the time.

Patience, patience, patience is what is needed and I have found it is great to walk around to get the odd snap but I find it is better to wait for the subject to come to you.

Just got to be in the right place at the right time and one day the time will be right(y)

Last edited:
I have a 2 man hide and you can see most of the discussion in the thread "hides". Very small and cramped, not really designed for long periods and not waterproof, but good to see out the back of and the side windows have mesh which opens up to take photos out of also, but also use it along with clearview netting, which is great stuff.

Wildlife photography from what I have found if very rewarding and VERY frustrating.

I/we sit in hides for hours, days and weeks on end seeing nothing:shrug: then the shot you have been waiting for comes along. (y)

I am very fortunate in having over 700 acres of land in which to choose my hide positions and I have use of static hides, portable hides and a semi permanent hide, and am looking into the wooden hide next.

I can be found on the edge of a field while other half is ploughing, combining or whatever he is doing and taking pot luck at what is around, but also found lurking in a hide somewhere, at some stupid o'clock waiting for the odd fox, deer, buzzard,(soon:D) kite, and equally have pleasure n taking photos of what is ever around at the time.

Patience, patience, patience is what is needed and I have found it is great to walk around to get the odd snap but I find it is better to wait for the subject to come to you.

Just got to be in the right place at the right time and one day the time will be right(y)

Sounds like my cup of tea then. Frustration, here I come, la, la, la, la, laaaa!!! :D

I am going to buck the trend here but I get all my bird shots by walking around the estuary - if you get to know your local patch you will know most spots where birds are likely to be and you can then approach these spots with stealth. Part of the enjoyment for me is walking and stalking. Sitting in a hide for hours would drive me demented to be quite honest but I will admit it is probably the best way to get near to the wildlife.
BTW I have a two man chair hide that I very occasionally use in my back garden when I cannot get out but I have never sat in there for more than about an half hour and even that is too long ! Just my 2p's worth.

Last edited:
I am going to buck the trend here but I get all my bird shots by walking around the estuary - if you get to know your local patch you will know most spots where birds are likely to be and you can then approach these spots with stealth. Part of the enjoyment for me is walking and stalking. Sitting in a hide for hours would drive me demented to be quite honest but I will admit it is probably the best way to get near to the wildlife.
BTW I have a two man chair hide that I very occasionally use in my back garden when I cannot get out but I have never sat in there for more than about an half hour and even that is too long ! Just my 2p's worth.

There's an estuary a couple of miles away from where I live, however birds don't seem to be in great abundance here save for the usual gulls and the occasional heron.

There's an estuary a couple of miles away from where I live, however birds don't seem to be in great abundance here save for the usual gulls and the occasional heron.

Are you certain? It's amazing what can turn up when you start looking.

Are you certain? It's amazing what can turn up when you start looking.
I was thinking the same thing Frank - when I started there did not seem to be many birds in my local estuary but when you get to know your local patch and start to really looks its amazing what is around.

Being a mortgage slave sucks. I'd give my right leg to be able to do this rather than sit in a poxy office staring out at HGV's all day; battling the missus to get out on miserable, dull December Sunday mornings.

Except I probably wouldn't get very far with one leg :D :bonk:

Maybe I'll start doing wildlife photography courses - you don't even have to be able to get outstanding images yourself to make £££, it seems. Just buy a bit of woodland, get the local Wildlife Trust onside and away you go... :naughty:

Last edited:
Back