Camps Bay, South Africa Sunset

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I've uploaded 16 pictures from my first day in SA to my webspace. A couple of overviews of the beach and a sunset sequence.

I spent the first couple of days thinking I was getting really good shutter speeds for 100 iso. Then I finally noticed the display was saying 1000 not 100 :bonk:

Fortunately the 5D is very good at high iso so apart from a slight HDR look to some shots it was not really a problem... still kicking myself though :)

The full set is here

And here are two of the sunset shots...

01campsbay06.jpg

01campsbay07.jpg

If you are looking at exif the cameras time is an hour slow for SA.

great set of pics there
the water looks quite "lively"

Yea I love the first shot!!

Love both of these. The sky is amazing in the 1st and the sea in the 2nd (y)
One of the things to do before I leave planet earth is visit South Africa :)

Yes there were plenty of people about. The idea was - if you can't avoid them... use them :)

There is some nice light on the mountains in 01campsbay05 :)

Were all these with a 24-105? lovely and sharp.

There is some nice light on the mountains in 01campsbay05 :)

Were all these with a 24-105? lovely and sharp.

Yes all 24-105 and circ polariser for the across the beach shots. I had the 17-40L with me but did not use it that much this time.

Sorry to dig this old thread up, but I just wanted to thank RobertP for posting these - they're all fantastic photos - especially looking through your full set. I spent the best eight years of my life in Cape Town and the shots of Camps Bay beach and the few you have in Cape Town really brought the memories flooding back. It was also this thread that was the inspiration for me to get a 24-105 lens myself!

Since then, though I've noticed some pics you took of the road to Oudshoorn and Storms River Bridge - also places that have a strong place in my memories. Thank you very much for this set! I'll be going back to SA for holiday in December this year - I simply cannot wait. (y)

Lovely shots there, the first is exeptionally good, have you thought about cropping the first? using the upper right of the image with the people on the right of the frame and the sun on the left of the frame, using the 2/3rds rule.

I hadn't considered that. I do tend to stick to the rule of thirds a bit too much sometimes - the horizon and wave breaking edges are on thirds :)

The second one (or another very similar version) I'm considering 3 crops from to make a triptych for the dining room wall as the colours work for the room..... just not sure if it is interesting enough :LOL:

Pleased you liked them ekimeno.

Back