can anybody help

Name
Robb
Edit My Images
Yes
can anybody help with these?
I took them today, into the sun, behind glass
I got the Olympus E-420 and I used a 70-120

Tell me what I did wrong and can someone adjust them?

Robb

Hi rob and welcome to TC. I think you have answered your question in your post ;) Behind glass does not really help, as does shooting towards the main light source. However assuming it is in your garden, you seem to have a nice tree in the BG which you could use for cover with a bit of cammo net. As for saving them, tbh there is not really much detail in the pics, your only chance would be if you shot in RAW and still have the original files.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, wife didn't like the comment of cleaning glass :LOL: she's always doing it.
1:- yes there is a tree there but It's not that big, you couldn't hide anywhere near or in it, there's a great big field the other side the hedge, and it's bloody COLD.
2:-That is the original pic, If you mean RAW as the original, I just posted it here straight out camera.
3:- I will try that lens cover thingi at the window.
If I went out side the birds would take flit and not come back, out the window is my only option, so I will devise a window sticker :LOL: thingi as I spend fortunes on bird seed, I want a return on my investment (y)
Thanks chaps and It's good to meet you
Robb :cool:

Always have the sun coming over your shoulder.

No matter how clean the glass is, the sun shining straight at it will cause a problem.

Get closer ... I used to put up a piece of camo net between two poles in the garden, stand still behind it and wait for the birds to return, which they will, best to have the camera on a tripod as this avoids the movement of bringing it up to your eye to shoot.

Put a hat and gloves on, plus layers, should sort out the cold problem :D

Have a look in the Suppliers section in here Fracster has an add for stealth wildlife supplies, they do camo net.

LOL. Good effort. Even with clean glass though, I find I lose a stop in exposure speed shooting though glass and get a very curious colour cast on images due a tint in the double glazing which isn't at all obvious looking at the glass.

You need to open the window if you can, and put up with the missus moaning about all the heat going out of the house.

Really though while we all do it, it's lazy bird photography, and if you go outside those birds will get used to you much sooner than you think. You don't necessarily need to be concealed, just keep pretty still - it's sudden movements which spook them. You'll be able to get closer but a few simple rules helps a lot.

Wrap up warm with proper gear and it's not as cold as you might think.

Keep low which is less intimidating to the birds, so getting seated behind a tripod achieves that and it's a lot more comfortable.

It's your hands and face which the birds will see the most. They appear almost luminous to birds, so wear a hat and gloves to keep that skin out of sight as much as possible. Some people wear a face veil for that reason.

Keep your hand and head movements slow and deliberate and you wont spook the birds. They're ravenously hungry in this cold weather and they'll soon get used to you sitting there and come to the feeders.

Last edited:
Hi cornishrobb welcome to TP :)

I have had some success sitting in the nice warm with my camera sitting out on a tripod with a wireless shutter fitted. Get your tripod out in the garden and then soon as the birds come to feed take some shots, you will find they fly off to start with but soon get bored with the shutter sound and after a while you can't scare them off. I know its not ideal and you will lose a lot more than you keep and you should focus on it's eye etc. etc. But it's better than getting cold and I can't afford the long lenses so I have to make a compromise.

I would also remove the blue tarpaulin and red from the shot if possible (y)

Last edited:
LOL. Good effort. Even with clean glass though, I find I lose a stop in exposure speed shooting though glass and get a very curious colour cast on images due a tint in the double glazing which isn't at all obvious looking at the glass.

You need to open the window if you can, and put up with the missus moaning about all the heat going out of the house.

Really though while we all do it, it's lazy bird photography, and if you go outside those birds will get used to you much sooner than you think. You don't necessarily need to be concealed, just keep pretty still - it's sudden movements which spook them. You'll be able to get closer but a few simple rules helps a lot.

Wrap up warm with proper gear and it's not as cold as you might think.

Keep low which is less intimidating to the birds, so getting seated behind a tripod achieves that and it's a lot more comfortable.

It's your hands and face which the birds will see the most. They appear almost luminous to birds, so wear a hat and gloves to keep that skin out of sight as much as possible. Some people wear a face veil for that reason.

Keep your hand and head movements slow and deliberate and you wont spook the birds. They're ravenously hungry in this cold weather and they'll soon get used to you sitting there and come to the feeders.

Sounds like tip top advice there CT (y)

Back