Can anyone advise me on a desktop which will edit 4k , photos , be able to do a little gaming ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

i am looking for a new desktop and want to be able make sure it can play/edit 4k to future proof it a little for when i get round too buying a 4k action camera.

I would also like to play games occasionally at maybe an xbox one level quality graphics.

What should i be looking for please?

My budget is £600 max

Thanks

Current generation is skylake.

An i5 6600 (non k variant is fine)
Get a cheap motherboard.
16gb ram
Either an nvidia 1050ti or amd rx 460 gpu.

I'd disagree with the cheap motherboard, you need high bus speeds.

"4k" was never really future proof for video - it was an interim stage that broadcasters didn't want but TV manufacturers did. Now that the full UHDTV specification is published that's what you need to future proof against.

Maybe i should stick to 1080p this looks like it going to be ridiculously expensive

I'd disagree with the cheap motherboard, you need high bus speeds.

"4k" was never really future proof for video - it was an interim stage that broadcasters didn't want but TV manufacturers did. Now that the full UHDTV specification is published that's what you need to future proof against.
Any skylake motherboard will be overkill for 4K streaming.

Current generation is skylake.

Get a cheap motherboard.
16gb ram
Either an nvidia 1050ti or amd rx 460 gpu.

If i stuck to your plan what would be a good graphics card to swap out for 30fps video editing.. This is a mindfield

Get a cheap motherboard.
16gb ram
Video card?

If i stuck to your plan what would be a good graphics card to swap out for 30fps video editing.. This is a mindfield

Get a cheap motherboard.
16gb ram
Video card?
I posted two above the nvidia 1050ti or and rx 460. Might even get a 470 in your budget.

I posted two above the nvidia 1050ti or and rx 460. Might even get a 470 in your budget.

going to have to leave the graphics card for a while :(

Bumped up the processor , what do you think?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£316.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.49 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£87.60 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£105.00)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£62.70 @ Eclipse Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS UK 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £654.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 22:50 GMT+0000

going to have to leave the graphics card for a while :(

Bumped up the processor , what do you think?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£316.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.49 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£87.60 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£105.00)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£62.70 @ Eclipse Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS UK 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £654.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 22:50 GMT+0000
Yes that's a great cpu, just be aware that the current gen 'skylake' is getting replaced early next year by 'kaby lake'. Don't let it stop you if it's an urgent purchase but something to be aware of.

Yes that's a great cpu, just be aware that the current gen 'skylake' is getting replaced early next year by 'kaby lake'. Don't let it stop you if it's an urgent purchase but something to be aware of.

Ah i didnt know that! not sure if i should wait now :| Will it be worth holding off a new build until January do you think when they are released ? Or will they be a lot more expensive than the current 6700k? very out of touch with hardware

Thanks for all your brilliant help!!

Processor is not hugely important, better off getting a more powerful GPU
Photoshop and Lightroom at least prefer a faster cpu. If video editing a better gpu can process video faster but even a low-mid end gpu will cope.

Ah i didnt know that! not sure if i should wait now :| Will it be worth holding off a new build until January do you think when they are released ? Or will they be a lot more expensive than the current 6700k? very out of touch with hardware

Thanks for all your brilliant help!!

I know not of prices but it's rumoured to be a nicer performance increase than we've seen since Haswell. Basically 4th gen to 6th gen there's very little in it and 5th gen didn't really happen (broadwell).

Could always get a cheap second hand 780ti as a stop gap. Tonnes of raw power there for video editing and shouldn't break the bank.
Used to have one until the 1080 loved it

I still run one and while it's pretty highly loaded out its still capable of running modern games at medium-high on my 2560x1080.

Still benches in the top 15 cards just behind the 1060, so it'll have some horsepower for video editing.

I still run one and while it's pretty highly loaded out its still capable of running modern games at medium-high on my 2560x1080.

Still benches in the top 15 cards just behind the 1060, so it'll have some horsepower for video editing.
You can overclock the 780ti though to a higher degree than a 1060. I have a 1060 in my htpc and it's minimal gains really when oc 'd. Better driver support will often make the 1060 look better than it perhaps is (if that makes sense!) it's already beating the 980 in a lot of titles and I suspect it will continue to improve at least until the 11 series cards are out!

You're not gonna get all that in the budget you've set.

A 6500 Intel cpu would suffice.
A decent mobo with socket 1151 is a must as it will be compatible with the kaby lake cpu's when they're released (future proof).
16gb ram, minimum 1800 mhz
Either an nvidea 1060 or AMD 480 gpu.
By the time you've chucked your case and 600w psu, optical drive and any peripherals in the mix you're well over.

You could make savings by going amd for the cpu but that's a recipe for instant regret. I've got a hugely overclocked fx6300+ cpu and it causes bottlenecks like no-one's business. Unfortunately even the higher spec's amd cpu's don't offer much more power for the money and efficiency drops off a cliff.

Intels the way to go, but it'll set you back another hundred or so over your £600 threshold.

Doesn't matter how occasionally, it either can or can't play decent games.
My point was that the op requested Xbox one level of graphics and not 4K graphics like you referred to.

Xbox one level of graphics is a very low target. Equivalent to 720p low settings on a pc and that's with a modest game like star wars battlefront. I'm struggling to think of a mainstream card released in the last few years that wouldn't smash that Xbox one level.

My point was that the op requested Xbox one level of graphics and not 4K graphics like you referred to.

Xbox one level of graphics is a very low target. Equivalent to 720p low settings on a pc and that's with a modest game like star wars battlefront. I'm struggling to think of a mainstream card released in the last few years that wouldn't smash that Xbox one level.

but xbox games are coded different, so to get the same performance you need a much better card, just to even run the game at minimum

I understand that on 4k video editing this can be done using proxy files so that the processing can be done faster on lower powered machines, if this is wrong some one will be able to put me right. As mentioned above Kaby lake is due out next year and appears to be better wired to handle 4k, but as already said if you need it now don't let this stop you.

I understand that on 4k video editing this can be done using proxy files so that the processing can be done faster on lower powered machines, if this is wrong some one will be able to put me right. As mentioned above Kaby lake is due out next year and appears to be better wired to handle 4k, but as already said if you need it now don't let this stop you.
That's true you can edit but adobes implementation is new and will only proxy down to 1080p so still needs a good GPU

Final cut (Mac only) uses very small proxy files. Much faster and can use integrated graphics.

4K editing and budget machines just simply don't go together

but xbox games are coded different, so to get the same performance you need a much better card, just to even run the game at minimum
Look sandy are your going very much off track. A 750ti will knock an Xbox one for six. Both cards I mentioned will knock a 750ti for seven! Xbox one is very poor and no amount of optimisation will benefit it over even a modern low end card.

Look sandy are your going very much off track. A 750ti will knock an Xbox one for six. Both cards I mentioned will knock a 750ti for seven! Xbox one is very poor and no amount of optimisation will benefit it over even a modern low end card.
Of course Xbox is poor, but take GTA 5

Xbox no bother
PC requirements GTX 660

Of course Xbox is poor, but take GTA 5

Xbox no bother
PC requirements GTX 660
I'm not quite sure what your point is?

Xbox no bother? Xbox will run it at 30 frames per seconds, 720p low settings. It's no bother as its plug and play.

A modern pc graphics card including the ones I mentioned above will run it at an average of 80 frames per second, high settings and 1080p.

So to go back to the op's original point the two graphics cards mentioned will exceed the quality of the Xbox one by a significant amount.

I'm not quite sure what your point is?

Xbox no bother? Xbox will run it at 30 frames per seconds, 720p low settings. It's no bother as its plug and play.

A modern pc graphics card including the ones I mentioned above will run it at an average of 80 frames per second, high settings and 1080p.

So to go back to the op's original point the two graphics cards mentioned will exceed the quality of the Xbox one by a significant amount.
The op is considering no GPU

Wants to play PC games, and edit 4K

Back