Can anyone advise me on my Baxi boiler noise please ?

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
I have a 9 year old Baxi Solo Gas system boiler. Always been professionally serviced and no real problems. It has recently started making a strange 'pulsing' noise shortly after firing up. ( Listen via included link) sorry video shot in horizontal mode ! I am not trying to find a fix for myself, in fact I have a service booked later this coming week. I am just trying to get an idea on this so I can anticipate the repair cost.
Any help appreciated.

Baxi boiler noise

Is it a combi boiler or part of a system with a h/w cylinder?

I ask because the only thing I’ve heard remotely like that was on our old boiler where the pump was partly blocked up with silt and crud. This meant the boiler was overheating the water as it wasn’t getting pumped away fast enough. It would make a whooshing noise. Clearing the pump helped initially but the whole system eventually needed a power flush.

sounds like a pump issue maybe, I had our guy round to service our vailant the other day which is about 9 years old and we need some new parts (rubber hoses) he also said we need to get the system flushed soon.

As I stated a ‘system’ boiler i.e not combi. Pump is upstairs in the airing cupboard with the hot water cylinder. System was flushed prior to installation and there is one of those big magnetic ? type inline filters fitted.

Does this boiler have an internal extractor fan fitted? If the noise is coming from near the flue pipe chances are that fan needs replacing. Had a similar situation with an older Worcester boiler, so I simply removed the noisy fan and replaces with a new one.

Does this boiler have an internal extractor fan fitted? If the noise is coming from near the flue pipe chances are that fan needs replacing. Had a similar situation with an older Worcester boiler, so I simply removed the noisy fan and replaces with a new one.

Yes, it does have an internal fan. I was thinking it sounded like a fan ‘labouring’ but I didn’t want to influence possible replies. Did you change your fan yourself ? Is that allowed ?

Being as my boiler was about 12 years old I did replace the fan myself. The fan isn't a part of the sealed internal gas system so I felt confident it was a safe job to do myself. It was a 10-minute job but don't forget to isolate the electric supply first.

Being as my boiler was about 12 years old I did replace the fan myself. The fan isn't a part of the sealed internal gas system so I felt confident it was a safe job to do myself. It was a 10-minute job but don't forget to isolate the electric supply first.

My Baxi is nearing 20yrs old and was making similar noises. Changed the fan myself but was a bit slower (20 mins). Managed to pick up a service exchange unit so that helped keep cost down. Pretty easy job, just take care and make sure you turn off power before you start.

Back