Beginner Can anyone advise on the best lens for close up of clothing pattern / weave

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I take photos of clothing, but occasionally need to take a closer photo of the pattern / weave as it doesn't show up enough in the pic of the full garment, so I take a closer pic of the pattern / weave and add a swatch next to the full picture, so that the pattern / weave can be seen. I want to buy the correct lens first time and know that the best thing to do was ask for advice on here. I'm currently using a Canon 200D with 18 - 55 lens. I would appreciate any guidance in this area.

Also, sometimes when I take a pic of a garment that has stripes, the image looks like wavy lines. I then have to add a swatch that shows the stripes clearly next to the garment that isn't as clear. Can anyone help me with this too please?

Last edited:
The wavy lines, subject to seeing your example, sound like Moire Effect seen in some images of fabrics.

Not sure if this is a definitive answer but I did find this insight worth a read?
https://photographylife.com/how-to-avoid-moire

HTH and as Maarten @maarten.dhaese says "have you got a picture showing your "wavy lines" ?

Extension tubes would be the cheapest way of getting close up, but i would go for a macro lens. A sigma 105 2.8 is a good lens at a good price (around £350).

Extension tubes would be the cheapest way of getting close up, but i would go for a macro lens. A sigma 105 2.8 is a good lens at a good price (around £350).

agreed, superb macro lens

Les

I’d have thought a kit lens would be fine for closeups of fabric (can always crop), I’d get a flash to bounce for some decent light to show the texture.

And yes, the wavy lines will be moire.

Showing the weave will be as much about the lighting as the lens, usually done with a gridded light lighting across the fabric.

does your camera have an anti aliasing filter . ( Anti-aliasing filters are used to blur the lines between repeating patterns ) The Nikon D810 has done away with it and avoids this problem

Thanks for all replies which I appreciate. I've put an image of a typical problem that I would encounter with an image with stripes. The image that I've uploaded wouldn't show the lines to be wavy when zoomed in more. This is reason that I put a swatch next to the garment to show that it is actual stripes.
Many thanksPink & White Stipe Skirt .4.jpg

does your camera have an anti aliasing filter . ( Anti-aliasing filters are used to blur the lines between repeating patterns ) The Nikon D810 has done away with it and avoids this problem
I thought cameras without AA filters were more prone to moire?

Thanks for all replies which I appreciate. I've put an image of a typical problem that I would encounter with an image with stripes. The image that I've uploaded wouldn't show the lines to be wavy when zoomed in more. This is reason that I put a swatch next to the garment to show that it is actual stripes.
Many thanksView attachment 244179
Before I'd be concerned about the weave, I'd want to ensure the zoomed in image showed the same colour as the garment image. Sort the exposure and WB

Sorry Phil, I confused you with the image that I uploaded, as it was only meant as an example of a garment that has lines that often show up as 'wavy', (forget about the weave for now, to get more clarity on one issue at a time - my fault for the crossed wires)
The swatch on the image I uploaded is darker than the garment itself, but my goal was to show that the garment has lines and is not wavy (if you see what I mean)
Before I'd be concerned about the weave, I'd want to ensure the zoomed in image showed the same colour as the garment image. Sort the exposure and WB

I thought cameras without AA filters were more prone to moire?

They are, all of my cameras are lacking an AA filter.
Only very occasionally does it become a problem, but certainly noticeable given the right or should that be wrong subject

Sorry Phil, I confused you with the image that I uploaded, as it was only meant as an example of a garment that has lines that often show up as 'wavy', (forget about the weave for now, to get more clarity on one issue at a time - my fault for the crossed wires)
The swatch on the image I uploaded is darker than the garment itself, but my goal was to show that the garment has lines and is not wavy (if you see what I mean)
OK; back to the weave though, you have to light for it.

Back