Can anyone explain the thought processes of the people responsible for this?

Trouble is it’s not just one beach in one resort it’s all over the country ,the bloody townies that queue for hours polluting our air in the traffic jams leave there rubbish behind little realising or not caring that the rising tide will take it all out to sea in a couple of hours time . What we need is something to stop this behaviour something along the lines of the Black Death or Spanish flu ,to many people on this planet and even worse on our tiny island

It starts in childhood and damned few of them ever seem to be corrected.

Ignorance and arrogance in equal measure.

I think we are past the point of being able to educate some people to behave properly.

because people know that someone will come and clear it up after them
folk are just scuzzy

Yet they are probably all on Facebook complaining about plastic straws, cotton buds etc.

I saw someone drop their rubbish out of their car in McDonald's car park. They were about 4m from a bin.

It's up to parents to instill values.
Unfortunately the litterers are parents and will be parents...

Because there are no bins. And once enough people do it even if there is a bin others do not want to be seen to be different so they follow suit and just leave the rubbish like the rest. But prime cause is there are no bins.

I disagree.

If there are no bins (or not enough bins) you should take your litter home for disposal.

Totally agree if you can take it there with you,you can also take it away with you.
Drive down the A1 on a regular basis and the lay-bys are a right mess,also echoed on many other roads,lanes etc.
There’s an industrial estate I visit in Stonehouse and it’s used for overnight parking by some HGVs,the people who work there regularly find the pavement has been used as a toilet for no 2s.

Happens everywhere doesn’t it? I remember going for a wedding to Cardiff, arrived early Sunday morning and the place, city centre was an absolute tip and I mean absolute tip. Credit to Cardiff city though, at around 10pm a clean up crew arrived and thoroughly cleaned the place.

I am staggered by the state of this nation. It takes no effort to remove litter or put it in a bin. You carried it all to a location, how hard is it to take it away. This mindset of ‘someone can do it’ has gone too far. We don’t deserve this beautiful planet. Now I’m not some kind of hippy or tree hugger but it really breaks my heart to see such blatant laziness and lack of respect for our environment. Massive fines and prison time should be meted out.

I saw someone drop their rubbish out of their car in McDonald's car park.
That sort of thing always reminds me of that clip from star-wars and the Millennium Falcon, When the star cruiser (?) dumps its rubbish before going into hyper space.
And the falcon drifts away with the rest of the junk :D

I see it in various places, not only Mucky D's ... open door, drop rubbish drive off.
If I'm close enough, I'll always thank them for feeding the rats and keeping me employed.
Some genuinely stop and think about what they did.
Others, I just get the time honored one sided debate ....
Go f*** yourself :D

It's the piles of fag ends that get tipped out in car parks that bug me. And the empty (well, mainly empty but still enough to attract the foxes etc. onto the road late at night) KFMcDomizza boxes that get lobbed out of car windows about a mile from the source. And the piles of pavement pizza between the cheap pubs and the halls of residence and other accommodation for the (alleged) future of our nation.

At the weekend a woman held a birthday party for her kid in our local park. When they were finished they just walked off and left paper plates, cups, plastic drink bottles and food scraps all over the picnic benches. The rubbish bins are no more than a couple of metres away.

I disagree.

If there are no bins (or not enough bins) you should take your litter home for disposal.

That's a moral argument that don't disagree with but I still maintain that if bins were there the majority of people would put the rubbish in them.

The reason I say that is that I have experience of public places with no bins due to security risks and then bins being introduced.When bins are there they are used.

Just being angry at people who do not take there rubbish home with them does not produce a logical reason for why the rubbish was left.:)

The lack of consideration and civic pride shown by all too many people sadly no longer surprises me!!!

The reverse is true.........so just what sort uncaring with a terminally polluted planet of a society will 'we' have within a generation :(

That's a moral argument that don't disagree with but I still maintain that if bins were there the majority of people would put the rubbish in them.

The reason I say that is that I have experience of public places with no bins due to security risks and then bins being introduced.When bins are there they are used.

Just being angry at people who do not take there rubbish home with them does not produce a logical reason for why the rubbish was left.:)

What a lot of guff.
I don't care if there's not a single bin present.
People should remove their s***.
Public space does not equal public bin.

I certainly agree that there should be bins wherever the public congregate.

I also think that most people are fundamentally lazy - we tend to take the easiest option.

So the fact that most people won't bother to tidy up after themselves and that there are no litter bins is a pretty woeful combination.

I see kids, and adults, drop litter within reach of a bin.

Just because there is a bin there does not mean some people will use it.

but I still maintain that if bins were there the majority of people would put the rubbish in them.
If you watch the video it states there is 18 bins to service that stretch of beach. I assume that doesn't include the large wheelie bins next to the shops selling ice creams, chips and donuts etc right next to the beach.

There are bins there, plenty of them. But they are all on the paved promenade, not on the actual sand and people are too lazy to use them if they are not convenient enough. A bin on the beach nect to every group is the only answer.

There is also the issue that the bins have a small 5" aperture. Of the few people that actually do bag their waste most wilo dump it next to the bin when they see it won't actually fit through the hole. Also doesn't help that the council seems hell bent on reducing parkingnat the seafront and expecting people to walk down from the top of town.

But yeah, people. Scummy people. Having lived in Southend, the only option on a sunny day is to abandon the place.

There are bins there, plenty of them. But they are all on the paved promenade, not on the actual sand and people are too lazy to use them if they are not convenient enough. A bin on the beach nect to every group is the only answer.
The only trouble with that idea is the tide just doesn’t come in and go out ,it changes the height of the tide daily .so a bin on the beach will at some point be covered by sea water ,and if all the crap had been left on the beaches when it was a spring tide it would all have swept out to sea ..as I said before the only real answer is a plague .

What really beats me though is it can be done ,you don’t see ANY litter at all in Switzerland ,it’s a pristine country .so why can’t we do it here

I have been pondering the same thing for years like above and have come to the following conclusions.

Some well bought up people are pretty good, train there kids well set good standards and respect the environment.
Some folk are just feral and their kids are bought up as garbage and with no values.
It doesn't matter how many rules or regs you pass or even how many bins you put up these animals just are not interested.

Also one thing I have noticed in scenes like this is when you look at most of the rubbish and packaging most will have been purchased locally on the promenade etc.

personally on hot days like above I would like to see temporary bins placed on the beach maybe on sand spikes.

you cannot stop it only contain it.

A Macdonalds has recently opened in Cherwell Valley motorway services. McD rubbish is now accumulating in the hedgerows and local woodlands on a scale unprecedented before they arrived (I have a reasonable handle on this because our village does an annual litter pick in which we usually participate). Previously the largest single component was Red Bull cans tossed out of passing cars.

While people are the cause, perhaps there might be a way to alter the manner and nature of the waste packaging used in order to reduce the way it is distributed.

A Macdonalds has recently opened in Cherwell Valley motorway services. McD rubbish is now accumulating in the hedgerows and local woodlands on a scale unprecedented before they arrived (I have a reasonable handle on this because our village does an annual litter pick in which we usually participate). Previously the largest single component was Red Bull cans tossed out of passing cars.

While people are the cause, perhaps there might be a way to alter the manner and nature of the waste packaging used in order to reduce the way it is distributed.

unfortunately this is pretty much all because of drive throughs, fat ased people who can't get out there cars to sit and eat, to lazy, so stuff it in there face in the car and chuck it out the window.

sand spikes.
Sand spikes, now there's a good idea! That'll stop the people sitting / standing on the sand and distributing their rubbish to the 4 winds / high tides
:D

Only word I can think of to describe these people is one I have hardly ever used and would most certainly get me banned

Sand spikes, now there's a good idea! That'll stop the people sitting / standing on the sand and distributing their rubbish to the 4 winds / high tides
:D
No worry the broken beer bottles they leave behind have the same effect :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Some people just don't give a damn. They have been bought up poorly, with no respect for others, and its habit. They were not disciplined as a child so their behaviour is 'normal' to them.

There is an issue with bins and lack of, and although should not be used as an excuse, it is a factor. Why do you think fly tipping is on the rise? Its because its harder and costs more to dispose of stuff! Ideally I would like to use my mates van and dump a load of stuff in one hit at the tip but as they don't allow commercial vehicles I cant, so that means 5 or 6 trips.

Some people just don't give a damn. They have been bought up poorly, with no respect for others, and its habit. They were not disciplined as a child so their behaviour is 'normal' to them.

There is an issue with bins and lack of, and although should not be used as an excuse, it is a factor. Why do you think fly tipping is on the rise? Its because its harder and costs more to dispose of stuff! Ideally I would like to use my mates van and dump a load of stuff in one hit at the tip but as they don't allow commercial vehicles I cant, so that means 5 or 6 trips.

yeah that's absolutely right Kirklees council where we are have banned anyone taking large items to the tip totally now.
you have to pay online and they will collect when they feel like it, £20 for a fridge.

I understand recycling costs money so for me its not a drama but some people just don't accept it.

I would like to use my mates van and dump a load of stuff in one hit at the tip but as they don't allow commercial vehicles I cant,
Have you tried any of the Amey HWRC's ? they are all over your area, I'm pretty sure they allow vans in, if it's registered to a company, they will charge though.
( not sure of the price, but chat to the guys on site(s) they are all decent )
Its because its harder and costs more
Landfill tax alone is £90 / ton. Not that many years ago it was about a fiver ...
and an artic will carry around 44 tonne, let alone the actual waste tipping costs.
As an idea one place I visit ( working) if you go in with a car towing an average sized trailer or a small tranny pick-up type vehicle, its a min £150..
Government(s) !

Last edited:
Have you tried any of the Amey HWRC's ? they are all over your area, I'm pretty sure they allow vans in, if it's registered to a company, they will charge though.
( not sure of the price, but chat to the guys on site(s) they are all decent )

Landfill tax alone is £90 / ton. Not that many years ago it was about a fiver ...
and an artic will carry around 44 tonne, let alone the actual waste tipping costs.
As an idea one place I visit ( working) if you go in with a car towing an average sized trailer or a small tranny pick-up type vehicle, its a min £150..
Government(s) !

The authorities should be making it easier to get rid of waste. What's better, allowing someone to leave a fridge at the side of the road, or paint tins near a river, or for you to be able to take them to a tip for free (and if you happen to use a friends or hire van, so what)? What is the environmental cost to pick up all the flytipping, as well as the actual cost?

And that’s the catch 22 ,then they have no staff to fill in pot holes as there out picking up rubbish wonder if any of this will Change when we depart europ

A few get what's coming to them.....

ehdc-news-header-original_crop.png

Litterers pay the penalty for ignoring fines

Litter louts who failed to pay their £80 fine have been hit by costs five times as high after East Hampshire District Council brought legal action against them.

Fifteen people were issued Fixed Penalty Notices by East Hampshire’s litter enforcement officers but chose not to pay.

EHDC pursued prosecutions through the legal system and successfully secured convictions for all 15 individuals.

Each was ordered to pay an increased fine of £220, a victim surcharge of £30 and costs of £155. A total expense of £405. As well as the added cost, each of individual now has a criminal record.

EHDC Leader Richard Millard, said: “Litter is an important issue for our residents who expect us to take action against those too lazy to pick up after themselves.

“It is a blight on our landscape and a pollutant for our environment and costs the taxpayer tens of thousands of pounds a year to clear up.

“EHDC takes a zero tolerance approach to littering and our litter enforcement officers patrol town centres and hot spots to help stop this issue at source.

“Our message is clear, if you drop litter you can expect to be fined. These individuals ignored that fine and now have been ordered to pay a much heavier penalty.”

The prosecutions were brought about using a new legal mechanism called the Single Justice Procedure (SJP). The SJP allows cases of low-level crime, such as speeding or TV licence evasion to be dealt with by a single magistrate without attending court, freeing up valuable court time.

Media Contact: Will Parsons, EHDC Communications Officer, 01730 234030

What is 'littering' though? You see so many people dropping cigarette butts on the ground, but that seems to be acceptable? Does size matter?

Back