Can anyone identify this...??

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
I found this monopod in a box during a bring and buy sale, amongst all the left over stuff destined for the recycling depot. I am at a loss to figure out what kind of mounting head fits it. Clearly it's not got a standard screw attachment. Nay guesses or, better still, suggestions? Apart from no head it's in perfect condition, even has a fold out foot bar, I'd love to be able to use it.

_TOM5014.JPG

What sort of head attaches to this 'stud'..??

_TOM5015.JPG

_TOM5016.JPG

IMO it is possibly modified for a hobby unrelated to photography?

Having said that, I have vague memory of something a little like that ~ it was though compared to what you have shown, that the part on the monopod was the ball of a ball & socket 'joint' with the socket part being fitted like the QR plate might be to the camera/lens foot. The idea being that the user was in effect carry a long walking stick that s/he could readily support a camera for steadying the shots!

Does that 'head' unscrew and rather than a side view just what does the end on/45degree view look like?

PS perhaps what I describe even has its origins from the shooting fraternity ;)

Bit of a long shot, but does the top screw off to reveal a thread ?

Good question, I should have mentioned that the top is held with a small screw either side. Remove the screws and the top and it's just a long-ish collar slid into the top part of the monopod. No screw thread or anything else. The top appears to be one continuous moulded piece of plastic. It's driving me nuts trying to think of some way to make it viable as a monopod. If I remove the top then I have a hollow tube, I'd need something machined to fit with a suitable threaded screw attachment for a ball head etc..

Good question, I should have mentioned that the top is held with a small screw either side. Remove the screws and the top and it's just a long-ish collar slid into the top part of the monopod. No screw thread or anything else. The top appears to be one continuous moulded piece of plastic. It's driving me nuts trying to think of some way to make it viable as a monopod. If I remove the top then I have a hollow tube, I'd need something machined to fit with a suitable threaded screw attachment for a ball head etc..

Ah! when I Googled for W-1004 monopod................what came up was the Sirui W-1004 Tripod/Monopod. So what you have might be a demountable Tripod leg with its top end 'user' modified by some unknown reason???

Here is what I found https://siruishop.de/en/p/sirui-w-1004-waterproof-tripod-monopod-aluminium-w-series ~ see the pictures that show (mono)pod leg attachment ;)

PS though the leg locks being different and the label not Sirui suggest some sort of copy in one direction or the other..............but the Sirui brand IMO is one of the better second tier ones and can only surmise that as to leg/tube you have is missing an important attachment part that it might have been a 'failed' knockoff? NB the logo on yours item is it readable as brand name?

PPS I have found what appears to be the brand as Weifeng but not the W1004 model NB I don't want to post links to far eastern sources but some pictures I found the silver label & logo looked the same but the W is used in the item numbering but it seems WM and WT designations.

HTH :)

Last edited:
To me it looks like part of a head the grove would be where a screw / pin fits you would tighten it up to give horizontal friction when panning looks like the main head that sits on this is missing just my thoughts on it.
Rob.

To me it looks like part of a head the grove would be where a screw / pin fits you would tighten it up to give horizontal friction when panning looks like the main head that sits on this is missing just my thoughts on it.
Rob.

Hi Rob

I think you get the :jaffa:

Though not a big image this 'looks' good to compliment what you say ;) NB this is apparently the Weifeng WT1015
s-l1600.jpg

And this one shows the label
511792682_079.jpg

Last edited:
I will have that with a cup of tea :)
Rob.

I Googled and came up with this..

https://www.huizhou-tech.com/

The website shows, top left of home page, the exact same logo as is on the monopod I have but that's it. No sign of monopods on this website. Tripod yes, gimbals yes, monopods no.

I think it's going to the tip. I can't see any way to 'convert' it to accept a standard screw thread, I don't have the means by which to try it. Shame because it's very stable, even when full extended. Good solid locking lugs on it.

Oh well, win some, loose some. Thanks for the input guys.

I Googled and came up with this..

https://www.huizhou-tech.com/

The website shows, top left of home page, the exact same logo as is on the monopod I have but that's it. No sign of monopods on this website. Tripod yes, gimbals yes, monopods no.

I think it's going to the tip. I can't see any way to 'convert' it to accept a standard screw thread, I don't have the means by which to try it. Shame because it's very stable, even when full extended. Good solid locking lugs on it.

Oh well, win some, loose some. Thanks for the input guys.

Yup, same logo and as mentioned apart from the model number the silver label in the second image I found appears to be the same label as on yours. Make s me wonder if they have moved on from the budget end of monopods to higher spec'ed products all the older stock was "sold off" and that is why it is still sold on eBay and a few other places!

Yup, same logo and as mentioned apart from the model number the silver label in the second image I found appears to be the same label as on yours. Make s me wonder if they have moved on from the budget end of monopods to higher spec'ed products all the older stock was "sold off" and that is why it is still sold on eBay and a few other places!

I looked at some of the products and it clearly says that you can choose whichever logo you want. I think they make stuff to be sold, branded by other 'sellers'. A little like the question over Neewer and Andoer.

Copied from the webpage:

Cheapest DSLR 3 Axis Camera Stabilizer For Youtube Vlog

Model: Wi-70 MOQ: 10pcs Payment: T/T, L/C, PayPal Delivery Time: 30-45 days Start Port: Ningbo or Shanghai, China Certification: CE, RoHS, FCC Logo: Weifeng (customized design are acceptable) Color: As pictures or customized

MOQ is, I think, minimum order quota, And the other highlighted bits speak for themselves..!! (apologies for the text layout)

I looked at some of the products and it clearly says that you can choose whichever logo you want. I think they make stuff to be sold, branded by other 'sellers'. A little like the question over Neewer and Andoer.

Copied from the webpage:

Cheapest DSLR 3 Axis Camera Stabilizer For Youtube Vlog

Model: Wi-70 MOQ: 10pcs Payment: T/T, L/C, PayPal Delivery Time: 30-45 days Start Port: Ningbo or Shanghai, China Certification: CE, RoHS, FCC Logo: Weifeng (customized design are acceptable) Color: As pictures or customized

MOQ is, I think, minimum order quota, And the other highlighted bits speak for themselves..!! (apologies for the text layout)

Yup, AFAIK MoQ = Minimum Order Quantity (well it was when I sold B2B ;) )and as you say it seems they are manufacturers(?) who are happy to offer reseller 'branded' products.

Yup, AFAIK MoQ = Minimum Order Quantity (well it was when I sold B2B ;) )and as you say it seems they are manufacturers(?) who are happy to offer reseller 'branded' products.

Well that's that little conundrum sorted. Like I said, shame I can't find a legitimate photographic use for it. Hey ho, it's Saturday, I had nothing else to do today so a little online Sherlock Holmes hasn't gone amiss..!!

Time to get stuck in to making up some drop dead gorgeous pulled pork (genuine recipe from friends in Mississippi). (y):)

I like to see if things can be solved and 'hate' a mystery..................the internet has added immensely to the way things can be researched compared to 'the earlier times', having said that there was great satisfaction in the musty books in the reference library I had access to in the 1970's.................I was researching herpetology and came across a wonderful tome in a completely different section called "The Pyrotechnists Treasury" oh how I wished I could have borrowed that book :)

Back