Can anyone recomend me a good beginer dslr?

Edit My Images
No
So i have borrowed my mums 50d for a few weeks and decided that its absolutely something i would love to take a bit more seriously as a hobby

so....

I am looking for some advice on what to buy as a good beginers dslr! Preferably Canon as I have access to my mums lenses.

Budget is around £450 but that is to include a lens also

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

As previously mentioned, 500D and kit lens seems a good bet for that sort of cash

If you have access to Canon gear, than a Canon body makes most sense.
A 450d or 500D would be a great start.

Hi & Welcome Simon

If you have access to Canon gear, than a Canon body makes most sense.
A 450d or 500D would be a great start.

:plus1: The 450D is a cracker of a body and will last you a while

So i have borrowed my mums 50d

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

You could always offer to buy your mums ;);) I'm sure she loves you lots :D

If you used your mums 50D and got on with that ok I would be looking for a good low mileage 40D.

Good call actually. The 450d is a lot smaller than the 40d/50d. I bought a 450d last week, but its just too small for me, so I have bought a 50d to replace it and its a much better fit and feel.
Maybe you need to try a few out to see which fits the bill.

So i have borrowed my mums 50d.............

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

You never know, save a bit more and you could get a secondhand 50d:naughty:

I've got a 500D and its a great camera, only got it a few months back but the prices have dropped recently. - can't you just borrow your mums 50D though?

I recently bought a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens and am currently (yes now) packing my Camera gear for a trip to the States. My wife to be wanted to take a Camera as well so I decided to pack the old 450D for her. I really have forgotten what a great little body this is. TBH I dont think you could go wrong with a 450D or 500D.
Have fun!

First one doesn't mean entry level.

Yes you'll more get features on the next step up, but why not?

Save a tiny bit more and buy a second hand D90 with 18-105 VR lens. It'll be £650 and a very good choice.

First one doesn't mean entry level.

Yes you'll more get features on the next step up, but why not?

Save a tiny bit more and buy a second hand D90 with 18-105 VR lens. It'll be £650 and a very good choice.

And he will only have one lens to use rather than multiple ones by buying a system his familly aready use.. It makes no sense.

:bonk:

He's starting out, he only needs one lens :hammer-bash-on-head-back-at-you:

Oh alright!!!!!

Lol

Bloody Nikon users.

Last edited:
Depending on what lenses your mum has, I'd be looking at a bigger body than the 450D (i.e. an x0D). Even with my 24-105L on the 450D it feels just wrong and isn't balanced nicely. With the kit lens on, it isn't a problem, but any lens that weighs (and don't forget a bigger flash at some point) and IMHO, you'd be better with the larger body.

You could get a 50D for £500 if you scout around a bit.

If his mum has L lens and such, I can see staying with Canon, but if she just has a bunch of kit lens than the sony 450 w/55-200 mentioned above is a more than viable option but only if his mum's collection of lens are kit/cheap type.

There's a cracking 30D up fro sale on TP at the moment for £275 with less than 2k shutter count.

If I had the funds I'd buy it and add a second hand Tamrom 18-250mm.

It would be a cheap way to start off, a great starter body and a good general togging lens.

I started with a 350D and the same lens and took it all over Europe and over to Malta a number of times and got great results. The 30D is a huge step up from that and still worth the money.

For Canon, you have a few choices, 450D, 500D, 1000D, or you can pay £50 extra to get a Kiss X4, which is same as 550D in Japanese version.

Some have very tight budgets though. My mates wife won't let him over £200!! To do so would me end of privlages!!

Back