Can Anyone Recommend a Good Travel Tripod?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to stay as light/small with it as possible for hiking and packing but still have some realistic degree of stability. I'm only using a Lumix G3 so it doesn't have to hold a massive weight. My budget is under £200.

I was going to upgrade my camera but decided on some new accesories instead.

Have a look at the MeFOTO range. I use one of their 'Roadtrip' tripods with my m4/3 setup and it is, in my opinion, an excellent compromise between size, weight and stability. I have the aluminium version which would be well under your maximum budget, but there is a carbon fibre version as well.

Simon.

Last edited:
I too use a MEFOTO roadtrip. Its fantastic. Very sturdy and a decent head too. If its a bit windy you can always hang your bag from the hook to add weight.
If you want to beef up a bit more, there is always the globetrotter.

Brilliant thanks, they look ideal. I might go for the slightly smaller Backpacker model.

I use a Giottos tripod which is similar size to the MeFoto backpacker. Perfect size for m4/3rds use

I have a manfrotto befree (aluminium) - 1.1kg and folds up to 35cm. Comes with a ball head with QR, and QR plate (plastic).

Supports my d750 and 70-200 2.8 just fine.

Search out an older model Gitzo traveller?

My travel tripod is a Gitzo G1550T (£140 from FleaBay). I never thought a silly little tripod like this would be useful but it is actually very good and, although it is quite out of date, it is significantly better than the newer "Travel" tripods that I have tried. Certainly a newer model Gitzo would be better, but not much, and a LOT more expensive!

If you don't mind spending a bit more then have a look at the Feisol Tournament models. Check that they will fold short enough for your needs - if they do then either model will work well with anything up to and including a 300 F2.8 + a pro body. They are lighter than most travel tripods too - just check the folded length and note that the legs do fold back over the head.

http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct3442-rapid-p-31.html

I suspect that the Feisol Travel tripos are good but I have yet to try one so cannot comment.

Back