Can anyone recommend a large digital photo frame?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've just sat here looking at the 1000's of images I have and wonder how the hell I'm going to appreciate them. So I've decided a digital photo frame would be great. I want it large enough to go on a wall so it's got to be at least 10" or bigger ... maybe much bigger.

I'd also like it to be able to use the images from my PC rather than uploading images to a restrictive memory card. So that it will in time, display all my images and I've not got to faff with uploading.

I suspect the big frames are big bucks ... could the same thing be achieved with a flat screen telly? One thing I'm keen to avoid (after seeing a disasterous cheapy photo frame) is image distortion. The ratios need to be maintained even if the image doesn't use all the screen.

Advice apprecaited, link would be welcome.

Ta,

PM

PS: I've search the forums and most stuff on this issue is old ... so it's about time to reserect a new thread!

I picked one up when in the States. It's a Best Buy own brand, Insignia, but the inners are apparently made by Sony and the external components are LG)

Clicky

It is the only 10" screen which a) is 4:3 ratio and b) has a higher resolution than smaller screens. I've not seen one in the UK to match it tbh, and UK prices are far higher than the US.

Best Buy are opening a store in the UK, but I don't know where or when.

i have a friend who is going to the states this sunday who might be able to bring you one back if you decide it's definately what you want

Yeah I checked that after Barney (hadn't read your previous post fully tbh!). Shame really, it was mighty tempting. I just don't think an 8" frame would be all that impressive; everything else in my living room (prints) are quite a bit larger.

Some of these mentioned are nice products but I want to avoid having to upload to memory sticks. I want the photo frame to wirelessly randomly select pictures from my photo archive on my PC and display them.

I guess what I'm really after is a standalone hardware device which is the photo equivalent of iTunes. That is to say it will randomly play any image or I can group them into 'playlists' and let them flick through a cycle. Does such a thing exist? Or am I going to have to stick an iPad into a frame :p

Some of these mentioned are nice products but I want to avoid having to upload to memory sticks. I want the photo frame to wirelessly randomly select pictures from my photo archive on my PC and display them.

I don't quite see the point of that. You'll have to filter the shots you want the screen to display, otherwsie you'll end up with it playing everything you've ever shot, which invariably include more duds than not.

If you're filtering them anyway, it's no great task to batch convert them to the best size for the fram and add them on to the memory card. You can then get it to play your best shots in a random order slide show.

Currys had a 15" Advent one in over christmas, i think it was about £130, but had a proper wooden frame and wall mounts on the back, looked the part. I cant see it on the website now so maybe it has been discontinued but you could check your local store to see if they are selling off the last couple.

Screen quality probably isn't great it did look good and if you bring a memory card i'm sure they'll let you try it out.

What is your budget for a 10 inch digital photo frame? It may cost around $90 to $240. You could read reviews about the 10" frame before you buy one. See two 10 inch digital photo frames i recommend. 1. http://www.redsave.com/products/10-inch-digital-photo-frame-black 2. http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DMF102XKU-10-Inch-Wireless-Digital/dp/B002IVVD9Q I am currently using a 7" digital photo frame and the photos looks wonderful in the digital frame. It is even close to what i see on the computer monitor. Really incredible.

Last edited:
Back