Can anyone recommend a speedlight holder/strap for carrying my speedlight around?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, over the past few months i've been making my money doing interior property photography (bye bye weddings and events :( ). I tend to have a speedlight in my hand most of the time, but the trouble is i'm also carrying around my tripod and camera and often having to clasp the speedlight somewhat precariously or having to put it down etc.

I've done a quick google search to no avail, but surely there must be some little straps/shoulder straps etc that i could pop my speedlight into whilst i wander around a house? Any reccs? :)

Hi all, over the past few months i've been making my money doing interior property photography (bye bye weddings and events :( ). I tend to have a speedlight in my hand most of the time, but the trouble is i'm also carrying around my tripod and camera and often having to clasp the speedlight somewhat precariously or having to put it down etc.

I've done a quick google search to no avail, but surely there must be some little straps/shoulder straps etc that i could pop my speedlight into whilst i wander around a house? Any reccs? :)
Why not use a small shoulder bag?

Last edited:
Why not use a small shoulder bag?

aye, it's a possibility, though i was hoping for something as small/bespoke as possible as i'll have to carry it within my main lowepro camera backpack any way. So smaller the better really! Did you have a small bag in mind?

Last edited:

Three options. Mostly, I just turn off the flash and leave it on the camera while working. Or drop it into a soft case attached to waist belt (Lowepro, ThinkTank). Or with a bit of DIY, clip it to an accessory cold-shoe bolted through a basic/cheap shoulder strap, or to a velcro loop attached to waist belt. With the latter, I also have an Arca-Swiss plate attached so it doubles as a tripod mount.

Cold shoe eg https://www.wexphotovideo.com/joby-...8_1613302213_55c09dd5254dc7ba0bf910fb2db4f0d9

Last edited:
As I think I recall all Canon Speedlites used to come with a softcase and that had a belt loop on the back of it.

It was form fitting and had a pocket for the little foot to hold it when doing OCF work.

PS just checked your profile ~ a pity that Nikon did not do the same as Canon???

Last edited:
They did - for the SB-600 anyway.

Waistcoat pocket (other pockets are available) would be my choice.

Sorry, other than the speedlight case it comes with, no other ideas.

I would be really interested any tips you have with interior property photography though.

I think that the OP is looking for the same solution that I am. I shoot with a Kobra light modifier mounted to my speedlight. That makes a belt pouch not a viable option. I don't always want to carry a second camera for available light shots and would like the option of switching the flash off and wearing it on a strap for those moments. The issue I'm finding is that a cold shoe mount should have: a) a locking mechanism as a redundant failsafe and b) FEMALE 1/4 #20 threading to accept some type of strap ring. Something like this will allow locking but has a male 1/4 #20 and an unthreaded hole:

I'm thinking that a female to female adapter would make the setup too bulky. The only other option I've thought of would be to somehow countersink a 1/4 #20 nut into the base of the SmallRig cold shoe adapter. But, that would require some modification of the base plate.

If anyone has additional ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Lots of cold shoes available for tripod mounting. If your flash has a locking device, you could drill a small hole in the shoe so the flash locks in.

Lots of cold shoes available for tripod mounting. If your flash has a locking device, you could drill a small hole in the shoe so the flash locks in.

I did think of that. I have found these:

I don't have any experience with this particular design (regardless of manufacturer) Would you believe this style to be reliable enough to hang a speedlight from while walking about? It is technically a locking shoe, but its open at either end.

I did think of that. I have found these:

I don't have any experience with this particular design (regardless of manufacturer) Would you believe this style to be reliable enough to hang a speedlight from while walking about? It is technically a locking shoe, but its open at either end.
If you buy a cold shoe with a tripod thread, then you could use this to attach to the cold shoe and carry it around your neck/wrist....

This cold shoe adaptor is more expensive but it has a locking mechanism to stop the flash sliding out....

Last edited:
If you buy a cold shoe with a tripod thread, then you could use this to attach to the cold shoe and carry it around your neck/wrist....

This cold shoe adaptor is more expensive but it has a locking mechanism to stop the flash sliding out....

Yeah, I would prefer a shoe like that but it has a 1/4 #20 male bolt and the base is un-threaded. I would need a female threaded base to use a threaded ring mount like the one you posted first. I've got a bag of those so if I can find an appropriate shoe I'm set.

Last edited:
Hi all, sorry for non response. I appreciate your replies (although yeah, i'm not gonna be spending 70 quid for this. I think i should have a speedlight pouch somewhere so might try putting a strap on that, although i kind of wanted something that could accommodate triggers as well. I'm going to look through some suggestions, thanks again!

Maybe a largish compact case would be big enough for a flash + triggers etc..

Yeah, I would prefer a shoe like that but it has a 1/4 #20 male bolt and the base is un-threaded. I would need a female threaded base to use a threaded ring mount like the one you posted first. I've got a bag of those so if I can find an appropriate shoe I'm set.
Why not remove the 1/4 bolts and then you will have 2 1/4 threads you can use.

Last edited:
I think that the OP is looking for the same solution that I am. I shoot with a Kobra light modifier mounted to my speedlight. That makes a belt pouch not a viable option. I don't always want to carry a second camera for available light shots and would like the option of switching the flash off and wearing it on a strap for those moments. The issue I'm finding is that a cold shoe mount should have: a) a locking mechanism as a redundant failsafe and b) FEMALE 1/4 #20 threading to accept some type of strap ring. Something like this will allow locking but has a male 1/4 #20 and an unthreaded hole:

I'm thinking that a female to female adapter would make the setup too bulky. The only other option I've thought of would be to somehow countersink a 1/4 #20 nut into the base of the SmallRig cold shoe adapter. But, that would require some modification of the base plate.

If anyone has additional ideas, I'd love to hear them.

See post #5. The flash unit provides the locking. There are loads of these things around if you search Amazon/eBay.

This one has a threaded base....

This may be the ticket. Good find, thank you. The other SmallRig above with the two threaded holes would work as well, but would be too bulky I believe.

Back