Can anyone repair this image please.

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
As a keen genealogist my wife acquired this old photograph from a relative. I'd like to return it to somewhere close to it's original condition but I'm afraid my skills at PP are nowhere good enough for the enormity of the task. So good people of TP, if you'd like a little project or would just like to show off your skills, I'd be most grateful for your efforts.

Here it is, and yes it's in a very poor state.:(

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/5718360696_7ac3b5e2e5_o.jpg

13 by Doog E, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a very quick go at an edit

5718445480_4c84656fd3_b.jpg

Dave

Crikey, that's a terrific job in such a short time.

Dave, how did you get rid of that huge ink mark from the ladies face ??

Crikey, that's a terrific job in such a short time.

Dave, how did you get rid of that huge ink mark from the ladies face ??

Firstly I made a selection of the ink mark, then copied to a new layer, set the layer to screen, changed the opacity of the layer, flattened did the same again, that took most of the darkness out, next I copied the ladies her right our left side of her face, to a new layer, flipped it lined it up on the stained side cleaned it up with a layer mask when happy with the position flattened the layer, next I copied the lady on the far right lip/mouth area, copied to a new layer repositioned it over the mouth area of the lady on the left, cleaned it up with a layer mask flattened it

Last edited:
Firstly I made a selection of the ink mark, then copied to a new layer, set the layer to screen, changed the opacity of the layer, flattened did the same again, that took most of the darkness out, next I copied the ladies her right our left side of her face, to a new layer, flipped it lined it up on the stained side cleaned it up with a layer mask when happy with the position flattened the layer, next I copied the lady on the far right lip/mouth area, copied to a new layer repositioned it over the mouth area of the lady on the left, cleaned it up with a layer mask flattened it

Amazing, thanks for the explanation Dave.
Right, as it's clouded over and spoilt my plans for field trip today I'm off to dig out old photos and have play with photoshop layers !!!!:)

I did a load of scanning and restoration, a few years back, on a load of old family photos. Bought a book... 'Digital restoration from start to finish'. Extremely happy with the results. And in the process it taught me a lot about photoshop.

Nice job Wayne, with a combo of yours and Daves it will be perfect.
Dougie if you would like it in colour and no one here can do it then post it on www.dpreview.com under Forum>Software and Retouching and someone there will colourize it for you.
Cheers
Dave

Thankyou Wayne another fantastic effort there.(y) Thank you both for giving up some time to do this. :notworthy:My wife will be very happy.:)

Nice job Wayne, with a combo of yours and Daves it will be perfect.
Dougie if you would like it in colour and no one here can do it then post it on www.dpreview.com under Forum>Software and Retouching and someone there will colourize it for you.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks for that :)

Since others have been interested in this thread I'll give you another photo to practice on. I've had a go with this one on my own software with OK results although not nearly as competently as Wayne and Dave's efforts. If you'd like to have a play, feel free. The subject and date are quite interesting. Amazing that it's lasted this long.:cool:

11_front by Doog E, on Flickr

got really engrossed in this one didn't realise the time. going out with the wife tonight and she started moaning about me to get ready, so kinda rushed towards the end damn :crying:

SOLDIER1.jpg

got really engrossed in this one didn't realise the time. going out with the wife tonight and she started moaning about me to get ready, so kinda rushed towards the end damn :crying:

SOLDIER1.jpg

Nicely done James. (y)

you guys are good.......really good.
Well done all
Dave

I always knew speed of execution was weak point of mine with retouching, but now I see just how rubbish I am overall :crying:

:clap:

Anyway, here's an attempt that I made ... even though i'm sure the lady of the left doesn't look like that
familyrepair.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work guys and a great thread.

Dougie is saving a fortune on Xmas and birthday pressies too :)

Hi guys, just in from nightshift. What can I say, but thankyou so much. Those repairs are seriously good. That one from Dale just couldn't be any better, could it?

I don't know about christmas presents but my wife is delighted and wishes to thank you all. It has thrown up some questions too about that date. 1934 seems to be too late as her grandfather would have left the Highland Light Infantry (world war one) by that time and we don't understand why the date is 1834!:shrug:as he wouldn't have been born. Cant see it being his regiment number either so some investigation is on the cards. Could it be that it is not of her grandfather? I'll keep you posted.:thinking:

Last edited:
Photography was still in its early days in 1834, so unlikely that a photo of that quality would have been taken then.

Perhaps it is the photographers reference number to tie it up with the sitter.

Photography was still in its early days in 1834, so unlikely that a photo of that quality would have been taken then.

Perhaps it is the photographers reference number to tie it up with the sitter.

I was thinking along those lines but I would have thought he'd have written it on the back.:thinking:

This picture and uniform pretty much confirm it would have been the Bantu or Boer war. ( 1834 )

From my sketchy memory the Pith Helmet was last used in that war and by the first world war it had been replaced by the standard tin hat.

I'm a member of a number of war record sites, any idea what his name may be.

That would include your Grandfather, Great grandfather and if you know it your Great Great Grandfather.

If you let me know their names by pm if you want to I'll see if I can find out anything.

As for picture quality, he obviuosly moved his feet, and chances are hidden out of sight is an armature he would have been resting on.

Last edited:
I always knew speed of execution was weak point of mine with retouching, but now I see just how rubbish I am overall :crying:

:clap:
Erm... nope! There are some good quick repair jobs here, but don't run away with the idea that speed is anything to do with it. It's slow painstaking work to do properly. Don't confuse a quick repair with a full hand retouching job. It would easily take at least 8 hours, possibly more to do that soldier shot justice. It's a professionally taken shot capable of being restored to a pretty high standard despite the damage,but getting it done properly isn't cheap.

This picture and uniform pretty much confirm it would have been the Bantu or Boer war. ( 1834 )

From my sketchy memory the Pith Helmet was last used in that war and by the first world war it had been replaced by the standard tin hat.

I'm a member of a number of war record sites, any idea what his name may be.

That would include your Grandfather, Great grandfather and if you know it your Great Great Grandfather.

If you let me know their names by pm if you want to I'll see if I can find out anything.

As for picture quality, he obviuosly moved his feet, and chances are hidden out of sight is an armature he would have been resting on.

Hi Chris, I'll try to get some info together and PM you later.(y)

Decidedly rushed so not a top job, but I'm a sucker for great old shots like this.

retouch by tonky8203, on Flickr

He doesn't look very old does he? Isn't that a kilt regiment?

Last edited:
WOW :clap: some fantastic fixes there, just goes to show how much I have yet to learn in PS :thinking:

You guys take my breath away. I don't think I'd ever be able to achieve results like these. Investigation thus far suggests that it is indeed her grandfather. He was about 15 we reckon as he lied about his age to get into the army cause his family needed the money. He gave this picture to the wifes mother and said it was him so we have no reason to doubt him. The uniform is a kilt, and we are told that they wore an apron thingy over the kilt in combat so in the picture although it looks like a long coat, is actually a jacket and apron over the kilt. The hat question may be down to the fact he was posted to Egypt so maybe that explains that. The numbers on the front of the photograph are still a mystery.

It might be his regimental or mess number, or it might just be a number the photographer used to ID the subject.

Back