Can I correct this "Misty" cast in Elements 10 please?

Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning everybody

This photo of my wife (taken years ago) has a sort of Misty effect, I have Photoshop elements 10 and have no idea what to do to get rid of it.
I would appreciate some help please?

Regards

Attachments

• Liz 3 resized down to 1000 pixels.jpg
    Liz 3 resized down to 1000 pixels.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 122
Looks like the result of a poor scan of a film or paper print original? The answer then would be a better re-scan. If that's not possible (or applicable), then I'm afraid that a silk purse can't be made from a sow's ear.

Is that a photo of a print?
Whatever you do is going to be (a) a lot of work and (b) tricky to make look convincing.
How far do you want to go with the retouching?

Do you actually want to learn or do you just want this image fixed? If just this image then I'd suggest finding a photo restorer.

If you want to learn..

You may get some mileage out of increasing the local contrast, perhaps via clarity or dehaze in Lightroom, or an unsharp mask with a wide radius - and masking in as required.

A good way to do this kind of work to correct the colours is by sampling and painting with the brush tool, then recreate the texture either by using the healing brush or using a high pass filter or frequency separation to extract the detail first.

I realise that's a rather terse explanation. It'll either make sense to you or it won't - and if it doesn't then I suggest signing up to Phlearn.com and doing their photo editing 101-301 courses. They're mainly based in Lightroom and Photoshop but some of it is transferable to PSE.

I'm afraid that where resolution is so lacking, it can't be synthesised. All you can sensibly do is tweak the colour a bit. But no matter how precious the image, I wouldn't waste too much time on it.

I spend time tying to get pictures taken with modern kit to look like this so this is a different problem for me :D

Making any real improvement is way beyond my ability and maybe can't be done but you could take a look at the various options available in Nik Filters Color Effex Pro. I don't know if Nik Filters will work with your processing software but as it's a free download it'll only cost you time to see if you can get it to work and see if you can get a look you like.

If you want to give it a go here it is...

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Good luck.

I spend time tying to get pictures taken with modern kit to look like this so this is a different problem for me :D

Making any real improvement is way beyond my ability and maybe can't be done but you could take a look at the various options available in Nik Filters Color Effex Pro. I don't know if Nik Filters will work with your processing software but as it's a free download it'll only cost you time to see if you can get it to work and see if you can get a look you like.

If you want to give it a go here it is...

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Good luck.
Nik ColorEfex does work with Elements. The tonal contrast filter in it might help a little.

Nik ColorEfex does work with Elements. The tonal contrast filter in it might help a little.

I had a little play and you can certainly make a difference so the question is if the OP can make a difference he and the Mrs like :D

Thank you everybody, I have been looking into all your suggestions.

I cannot improve on this as I don't have the ability and you are all correct, the photo is not good quality. Many thanks again

Back