Can i start photography as a career?

Name
DharshanaVyas
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone..

I just start clicking photos from my phone and i planning to start photography as a career.

Is it a good career option to make career? Or need to find something else?

You should get some answers from some of TP's professionals but I never wanted photography to be anything but a hobby. There is no way I could have earnt as much and it is not as glamorous as it may first appear. A friend decided to move from amateur to professional. He has some skills with studio photography but no such work came his way so after months of photographing plastic oil tanks and other boring industrial objects he gave it up and went back to a more conventional job. All the successful professional photographers I have know were business people and felt that running a business is the number one requirement.

Dave

it is not as iglamorous as it may first appear.
...and it never was. There was a large amount of publicity given to a few self promotors in the 1960s and that's hung about. On the other hand, if you enjoy meeting people, have a good sales pitch and a head for business, I'm sure it's still possible to make a living.

I would echo what @Dave Canon says and add:-

Do you mean to train to be an employee who does photography within a company?

Or self employed?

Do you yet have good camera & photography skills already?

Do you have experience of selling and business skills?

What genre of photography are you thinking of as a career?

PS and welcome to TP :)

There was a recent thread on this: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/how-to-make-money-from-photography.731526/#post-9042257

If you use our search tool (top right of screen) I'm sure you'll find many more.

My suggestion would be to study the subject (there's a lot more to it than you can imagine as a beginner) first. Once you've mastered the art, then if you think you're good enough, see about seeking payment. It's never been an easy occupation and now that everyone carries a camera in their pocket (phone), even less so.
Lastly, welcome to TP. :welcome:

I think the OP is in India?
There was a recent piece on BBC News Online about the photographers working at tourist sites in India (I'm not sure at which site), who were complaining that these days very few tourists are willing to pay for a souvenir photograph, unlike the days in the past when film was the medium. Now a lot of photographers compete energetically for very little business. So it really depends what sort of photography, where, and creating your reputation to win business.

Hi Dharshana, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy"

Back